Sludog

What gun lube/cleaner are you guys using?

Whatever I got free at the last match. I end up trying every lube sooner or later, for example I haven't tried Slip2000 yet, but I've used all the other common ones and I honestly can't tell the difference.

Lubes are getting good enough that mostly you talking about small trade offs one way or another that in my opinion make no real life difference. There is no magic.

Any advantage of solvent and then lube vs just Breakfree?

Yes. You get two products designed to do one thing and do it well, instead of one product designed to do two things and do them dismally.

I believe the military uses Breakfree, and if it was insufficient, we should know by now.

That's funny! :rofl:

How long have you been using Fireclean? Have you ever used Froglube? I have been reading about this and it seems amazing, but everything seems amazing when it's the manufacturer saying it!! I have been using Froglube lately and it seems good. My go to stuff is mPro7 but always looking out for something better. FIREclean users have great things to say about it!!

Since around November. I've got probably a total of 1000rds fired through all weapons using it. Turns carbon scraping into wiping dust off.

I would give fireclean a shot if I didn't have so much Froglube..

I once read something about froglube and it being probe to absorbing moisture. I don't know where, so I can't provide the link, but I have no reason to stray from FIREclean now.

MPro-7 and Ballistol..I've used several other all in ones, but MPro does the job best, Like clean cloth comes out clean. I also use a plastic flat head meant for electronics to scrape loose build up after a spray down with MPro. literally spent 3 hours on two guns today, spotless!

MPro-7 and Ballistol..I've used several other all in ones, but MPro does the job best, Like clean cloth comes out clean. I also use a plastic flat head meant for electronics to scrape loose build up after a spray down with MPro. literally spent 3 hours on two guns today, spotless!

Do either of these have a strong or bad smell? Can I clean and lube them indoors? Will I smell the gun when stored away?

Yes. You get two products designed to do one thing and do it well, instead of one product designed to do two things and do them dismally.

That's funny! :rofl:

Not to suggest that the military always gets things right, like forgetting to order body armor for its troops, but it seems their weapons go through a lot more abuse than ours. Getting dunked in salt water, soaked with sweat, clogged with sand, etc. I'm not aware of any issue of M4s rusting. But then again, all I know about the military I learned from watching Zero Dark Thirty.

Can anyone who actually served comment on the efficacy of Breakfree? Do guns that have been dunked in saltwater get special treatment beyond being rinsed and CLP'ed?

Do either of these have a strong or bad smell? Can I clean and lube them indoors? Will I smell the gun when stored away?

Mpro has no lingering scent at all. and ballistol sticks around for a long while.. i kinda hate cleaning with ballistol, now i just use it for lube and final wipe down.. cause its a great lube and leaves a nice sheen.

I got a dog, kids and a recent newborn. MPro-7's got no scent and non-toxic. I save my stinky ammonia stuff for build-up I can't get off. Since I've started using MPro, never really needed to touch the other stuff. I don't use aerosol products to limit airborne particles. Don't use Ballistol so don't know about that.

Got frog lube, was psyched for the wax/grease. Corrosion protection was poor. Way worse than break free clp. Worked ok on pistols as a lube, not as well on the ARs. Very disappointed. The 'it has to be baked in' thing is a load of bull. Applying to a warm surface might get you easier clean up (might), but it protects worth beans, and it sure as heck doesn't keep it slippery.

I've got a bunch of lubes. Currently I'm using fp-10 which is nicer than the break free as a lube and protectant. It doesn't clean so hot, so I use a separate solvent. I also use slide glide for some things. It is a good grease but is not for external surfaces.

Militec is absolute crap. I swear it actively causes corrosion. It definitely separates from the carrier if you look at it funny. Google it to see other people's bad experiences. I got a free sample and frankly would like some money back.

KY, oh, wrong lube, wrong gun. :)

I ran many a mile in the Army reciting just what a gun was used for as opposed to a rifle. Those serving or have served know what I am talking about. In Nam we used to give the FNG's a can of urine and tell them it was special lube to keep their rifles from rusting in the hot and humid jungles. They all fell for it and we all had a good laugh. You had to be there. :)