JamesC

How to Legally Dispose of Bad Ammo

I'm finding myself in a weird spot where I bought some bad ammo without my knowledge. It jammed up my Rem 700 like a mother - so bad, that I brought it to a gunsmith to inspect thinking that it was the rifle, not the ammunition. Come to find out, I was sold a bunch of reloads that hadn't been de-burred and the nicks were bad enough that it was seizing the round in the chamber after firing.

Needless to say, I'm not too keen on the stuff and I have probably a 100 or 200rds of the stuff left and I want it gone... but it's not really safe to shoot in any gun AND you can't so much throw live rounds in the trash. So, how does a non-reloading guy like myself dispose of the ammunition legally such that it doesn't hurt anyone else's piece?

Cheers,

James

Awwwwww, Just have fun, and go build a fire and watch them Cook Off !!!! They dont shoot, because there is no pressure, they just pop... *****SERIOUSLY, DO NOT DO THIS ******

(Saw it on Myth Busters)...

No seriously though, Offer them up to a reloader... Maybe even try to trade for something in return.. But dont throw them out. I am sure somebody can fix them.

http://youtu.be/OAK2dDQ-S4Q

I think the main problem is using someone else`s reloaded ammo. Good way to blow up a good gun.

Give them to a reloader to pull or dump them in the ocean ot toss in a deep lake.

you find/borrow a collet puller for 7mm and I can pull them.

I bought them when I first bought my rifle - didn't realize they were reloaded as I got them from a gun shop back in MA. I didn't see any notes that they were reloaded and didn't know enough about reloading at the time to notice the fairly obvious marks on the rounds.

The primary defect with them, as I stated, is that the neck wasn't re-sized and deburred effectively, leaving a sharp rim of sorts that expands on firing and jams the cartridge in the chamber. Not a super safe situation and would likely foul a semi-auto platform if it's binding up a bolt action - when I say stuck, I mean waiting will not come out of battery stuck. Gunsmith scoped the chamber and said the damage, while permanent, was caught before there was any sort of performance impacting issues.

Anyone looking for some janky .308?

Or you can turn it oveer to the police.

HA HA HA. Yes, you should do this because the police are your friends, fully understand all NJ firearms rules and regulations and will assume that you are an honest citizen trying to do the right thing.

Or not. Sounds like a great way to get fully jammed up with an "near-apocalyptic arsenal of deadly assault bullets" story in the newspaper, and legal troubles for years.

Don't ever involve the police when you don't need to.

Wrong. WD40 does nothing to fully assembled rounds:

http://www.theboxotr.../docs/bot39.htm

I guess you missed this part of the OPs post.

that I brought it to a gunsmith to inspect thinking that it was the rifle, not the ammunition. Come to find out, I was sold a bunch of reloads

Reloads are not sealed very well and a PENETRATING solvent like WD40 will get around the primer and kill it.

Pull the bullets out carefully, dump the powder in your grill, stand back and light, ( just kidding), then boil the shells. Primers will stay and powder will boil out. Take whatever is left and make jewelry, biker stuff, bobbles, etc..

Sent from John's iPad 2 via Tapatalk HD

Typos courtesy Apple...

I guess you missed this part of the OPs post.

Reloads are not sealed very well and a PENETRATING solvent like WD40 will get around the primer and kill it.

Do you have experience with this working to "kill" primers on reloads? I'm skeptical that there is that radical of a difference betwen the "sealing" on commercial ammo versus reloads, but I'm ready to be wrong on something more than hearsay.

In my message above.... I was serious. If you can break the components of the bullet apart. You can boil the powder out of the primers... Then he can either leave them in for decoration or yank them. I use to sell bullet vest extenders that were done that way.

Do you have experience with this working to "kill" primers on reloads? I'm skeptical that there is that radical of a difference betwen the "sealing" on commercial ammo versus reloads, but I'm ready to be wrong on something more than hearsay.

Typos courtesy Apple...

In my message above.... I was serious. If you can break the components of the bullet apart. You can boil the powder out of the primers... Then he can either leave them in for decoration or yank them. I use to sell bullet vest extenders that were done that way.

I don't think anyone is questioning that - you pull the bullet, empty the powder, drop the primed case into boiling water and yeah, the water will infiltrate the the primer compound through the flash holes in the case.

What I question is whether oil sprayed on the outside of the primer on an assembled round will seep through and soak the primer compound.

Many years ago, old school thinking, we were told to never use wd40 out of fear it eats primers... We were told it did... I can't confirm it now because I've practiced all these years not to. Things may have changed component wise so dunno bud... :)

I don't think anyone is questioning that - you pull the bullet, empty the powder, drop the primed case into boiling water and yeah, the water will infiltrate the the primer compound through the flash holes in the case.

What I question is whether oil sprayed on the outside of the primer on an assembled round will seep through and soak the primer compound.

Typos courtesy Apple...

I understood you and the OP... My orig post was meant to have a little fun if he dared to take them apart. My wd40 statement was in lieu of another post. ;)

:facepalm: - I guess I'm the only person who reads all of the posts in a thread.

Typos courtesy Apple...