NJGunGeek1980

Build your Own Range

I am looking at getting some property (about 20+ acres) with a bunch of my friends. Does anyone know what kind of stuff we would need to do to be able to have our own private outdoor range. I know the law says something along the lines of you can not discharge a firearm within something like 300 feet of a residential area with 20+ acres i think i should have that covered other then any any restrictions Now this will not be used for hunting at all just target shooting etc.

If it's your land, you should be able to have a range without permits (as long as it's not a business). I think the only thing stopping you is that you would need to go to whatever PD's jurisdiction you fall in and check the if the municipality has any specific discharge laws. I know that was what my uncle did in Pennsylvania.

Make friends with all of the neighbors first. Whether they have standing to do so or not, they CAN make life difficult for you. Let them get to know you as a good neighbor, normal guy, friendly face first. When the issue of shooting does come up, make sure any who are interested have a standing invitation ot join you. Be mindful of the hours; don't shoot when you are likely to disturb anyone's sleep.

I am looking at getting some property (about 20+ acres) with a bunch of my friends. Does anyone know what kind of stuff we would need to do to be able to have our own private outdoor range. I know the law says something along the lines of you can not discharge a firearm within something like 300 feet of a residential area with 20+ acres i think i should have that covered other then any any restrictions Now this will not be used for hunting at all just target shooting etc.

I have never heard of a state regulation that regulates the distance from other properties or buildings for target shooting, the hunting distance is 450 feet from a building or school playground.

I have a home range with a 100 yard rifle station and a 30 yard pistol range. Both have a large assortment of "shootables". Due to the noise it gets used very sporadically. 22LR isn't a problem at all and I use it often for that but large caliber rifles (including .223) or pistols are just too noisy.

There isn't a home within 1,000 feet in any direction to me, but the noise is an issue. No one has complained to the police (they have no legal basis) but I do get "polite" comments. I can take a hint, so the louder rounds only get fired when windows are closed in the late fall or early spring.

No i have not is there special insurance i will need like i said this is not a business thing just a bunch of friends tired of the crap you have to deal with at public ranges (not the range staff but the people)

No, there isn't a specific "Need" for extra coverage, unless your town requires it, but if you are going to have friends over to shoot, I'd strongly advise getting as much liability coverage as you can afford.

No, there isn't a specific "Need" for extra coverage, unless your town requires it, but if you are going to have friends over to shoot, I'd strongly advise getting as much liability coverage as you can afford.

Make them sign wavers! It's cheaper. haha

right off my towns website.

"No person shall fire or discharge or cause to be fired or discharged any missile larger than No. 4 fine shot; provided, however, that this limitation shall not be applicable to any pistol, rifle or firing range equipped with proper safeguards for the protection of life and property."

"No person shall discharge a shotgun or other firearm, or hunt with a firearm, or kill, trap or catch any game animals or fowl within 300 feet of any dwelling house, public street or highway; provided, however, that this shall not prohibit the use of firearms for the protection of life, person or property."

So yes u can shoot in my town, but only shotguns with No. 4 shot or smaller, and given the 300 feet rule.

While I do not believe there is anywhere in NJ not covered by "city limits", there are some with no "discharge" laws.  Medford TWP, for example, has none - there was a push about 10 years ago to add a firearm discharge ordinance, but it failed.