Sign in to follow this  
ogfarmer

NJ Gun Buy back article and poll,

These piss me off to no end. first off, i think that the 10,000 number is bs. secondly, they hype it with things like "record rate",. know what guns i'd turn in for the pennies they're offering. an old shotgun that's been around since i was a kid. i don't think it even has firing pins anymore, but i'd turn it in for a few bucks towards something cool. would i turn in anything "normal"? EFF no!

I turned in two junk guns on Friday at a buy back in Somerville for a $100 ea. A Friend of mine went Sat morn, the police told him that they were a little disapointed, most of the guns turned in on fri were from the elderly and most weren't in the best of shape. That goes with what I seen while I was in line, but there were a few that would break your heart!

One of my coworkers went to the summerset one to turn in a piece of crap .22 that cost him $110 in the 90s and never worked and didn't want to sell it anyone who might try to use it, as it sucked that bad. He also said that all he saw were older folks turning in obsolete non working garbage.

One of my coworkers went to the summerset one to turn in a piece of crap .22 that cost him $110 in the 90s and never worked and didn't want to sell it anyone who might try to use it, as it sucked that bad. He also said that all he saw were older folks turning in obsolete non working garbage.

This^^^^^^

The only time a gang banger or hard core criminal will turn a gun in is if it was used in a crime and they want to get rid of the evidence and get a free pass. I spoke to an LEO for a major NJ city last weekend and he told me that although they do run the numbers and ballistics on some guns they will only do so to tie the gun to the crime but by law they can't prosecute the person who turned it in.

The process is broken!

I don't understand why so many posters here are so eager to patronize these "buy-backs"

If you have a broken piece of junk that isn't worth selling or keeping, it's free money. I also think it's amusing if the go to show 'their haul' and it's all junk.

I am tempted to try and buy from people turning stuff in, but I'm not at that point right now.

The guy that was in front of me had a 12ga Ithica 37 Featherweight, I told him it was a shame to turn that in because it was worth more, after a while of procrastinating he decided to case it and take it home, but not before we swapped phone numbers, I told a friend and we called the guy and bought it from him later that day. 1 saved! There were a couple others I would have liked to save but I didn't want to look too obvious with all the cops around.

I don't understand why so many posters here are so eager to patronize these "buy-backs"

View it as a "cash for clunkers" program for guns. Trade in your rusty old crap guns and use the money to buy a shiny new one!