Sign in to follow this  

Bought a new air rifle and I'm looking for somewhere to shoot it in South Jersey. Given that woodchucks can be hunted year round with .22 rim fire, what is the issue, if any, with me hunting woodchuck with a .177 caliber pellet rifle? Any ideas or comments are welcome!

Bought a new air rifle and I'm looking for somewhere to shoot it in South Jersey. Given that woodchucks can be hunted year round with .22 rim fire, what is the issue, if any, with me hunting woodchuck with a .177 caliber pellet rifle? Any ideas or comments are welcome!

Even if legal, I think a .177 air rifle is woefully underpowered for woodchucks.

Even if legal, I think a .177 air rifle is woefully underpowered for woodchucks.

Woefully anemic except under the most controlled of environments. A "controlled environment" would be defined as a sniper's hide from the bathroom window to the tomato garden 30' below. ;)

Ok then on to my next point. If not hunting, legal to discharge in w remote wooded area at a target?

An airgun is considered the same as a firearm. Don't shoot it anywhere you wouldn't shoot a firearm. Although I'd ask, if an airgun goes off in a basement and no one is there to hear it, did it go off?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Supporting Vendors

• Latest Topics

• Similar Content

• By Smokin .50
      CNJFO HOG HUNT SUNDAY JAN. 26TH! SAVE THE DATE!
      A PORKTASTIC GOOD TIME W/ 2A PATRIOTS & FRIENDS!
      by Black Wire Media Wed. Nov. 13, 2019 www.cnjfo.com/join-us
      The Coalition of New Jersey Firearm Owners is proud to announce we've scheduled our first Hog Hunt of the new season for Sunday January 26th. So mark your calendars and watch for our event page & sign-up on our website (coming SOON!). The guided Hunt is ideal for beginners & anyone looking for a challenge since this is a "NO license, ANY weapon" affair held on a 150 acre island in the middle of the Susquehanna River near Harrisburg, PA. Raffles, swag, lunch included. Stay Saturday night & party with us (Dutch Treat) OR come Sunday. A great way to fill the freezer & support NJ's busiest 2A group!
      Hunt includes hot lunch served on the island, field dressed hog, goody bag w/ swag items, raffles for great prizes (BRING CASH ON ISLAND) & all the memories you can take home!
      We recommend V. Roche & Son Butchers in Whitehouse Station, NJ.  A CNJFO sponsor, they have a renowned reputation for excellent service!
      Register HERE:  
      https://www.cnjfo.com/event-3629844

• By Shane45
      Brand new in box. FDE. Optic, mount and AFG not included. This is unfired outside the factory. Compliance work completed. Pickup at Garden State Shooting Center in Lakewood. $1700. $1450 Ill absorb transfer fee. 

• By Maksim
      I just wanted to take a moment and wish a very warm welcome, once again, to Shore Shot Pistol Range!  @shore_shot
      A very cool fairly recently remodeled range and a nice big store with plenty of firearms for you to try!  One of the oldest in NJ with plenty for both new and more experienced shooters.  I recall coming here after Rays closed up.
      Also, please visit the vendor page here 

• By Swizz70
      For Sale:  Spikes Tactical Black Assassin Complete Rifle, (5.56) 14.5" (16" OAL) Midlength, $1,250 OBO
      Bought this rifle new in 2014 directly from Spikes Tactical.  Has less than 500 rounds through it and shot outdoors once, no malfunctions or issues.  Cleaned after every use.  I'm only selling to offset the cost of another rifle (wish I was rich enough to keep them all!)  This has basically the same specs as the current model listed on Spike's Website for $1,925 except I did not opt for the nickel boron bolt carrier group.  In 2014 it did not come standard with the raptor charging handle but I added it to this rifle and is included in this sale along with the Magpul vertical foregrip and 10 round hex mag (it's the size of a 30 round but is completely NJ legal and cannot be converted to any capacity higher than 10 rounds or it will not function).  Feel free to contact me with any questions.  I believe a private rifle sale does have to be done by an FFL transfer. 
      Here are some more specifications:
      Forged Upper Receiver
      7075 T6 Construction Forward Assist Ejection Port Door Ejection Port Door Spring Ejection Port Door Rod 14.5" Mid Length CHF Barrel
      Cold Hammer Forged Optimal Profile 20,000+ Round Service Life DIN 21CrMoV511 Chrome Lined to M249 Spec 1/7 Twist Rate 1/2 X 28 Thread Pitch for Muzzle 5.56 Nato Chamber .750 Gas Block Seat M4 Feed Ramped Barrel Extension Mil-Spec Phosphate Coating 12" SAR3 Rail
      7075 T6 Barrel Nut 6061 T6 Rail Continuous Top Rail Free Floating 1 Piece Q.D. Attachment Points Low Profile Gas Block
      Solid Billet Steel Mid Length Gas Tube
      Black Nitride Inside and Out Gas Tube Roll Pin DynaComp Muzzle Brake
      Pin and Welded (16" OAL) Magpul MBUS Front and Rear Sights (Gen 2)
      FORGED LOWER RECEIVER
      Complete lower enhanced parts kit
      KNS Anti Rotation Pins Spike's Tactical Battle Trigger Norgon Ambi Mag Release 6-Position Mil-Spec Buffer Tube, Castle Nut 17-7 Stainless Buffer Spring Magpul MOE Grip Magpul CTR Stock (Rifle includes hard case)
      Weight: 6lb 7oz Length: Position 1- 32"   Position 6- 35" The Black Assassin is designed with input from Spike's 3 gun team and other competitors. Minimal recoil, target transition at depth, and weight are their primary concerns. The Black Assassin has many upgrades to give you an out of the box performance rifle.

• By JerseyJim
      On Black Friday Reloaderz is having an open house.  We plan on visiting and will give a report.  
            Friday, November 23, 2018 at 10 AM – 8 PM

• Wait... what??? Aren't the Democrats the party of open borders?   I expect more of these calls in the near future. Finally, it took you long enough to stop blaming the actual virus... you're more likely to have economic issues than health issues with this virus. Here's just one example, of many more to come... ...."San Francisco Mayor London Breed (D) declared a state of emergency for the city on Tuesday amid concerns over the international coronavirus outbreak. While no coronavirus cases have been confirmed in San Francisco, “the global picture is changing rapidly, and we need to step-up preparedness,” Breed said in a statement. “It’s not a question of if this will happen but when this will happen and how many people in this country will have severe illnesses,” she added. “Disruption to everyday life might be severe.” https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/484602-san-francisco-declares-state-of-emergency-over-coronavirus What economic effects happen when all the major tech company employees in S.F. are told to stay home from work for a month or two? Now multiply that by many other major cities across the country...
    • plenty, the mkts had priced in the new year and added a bit for the extension and you'll see that on mkt avgs and block trades just to name a few lay person details.  On top of what we're seeing now with the massive jump in volume is that more companies are now coming out and opining on how earnings are going to be hit.  Couple that with a reduction in the euro dollar swap lines, crossover of 10yr swap rates and bonds not giving way to the uptick in equities and a pullback was BOUND to happen.   please, just stop because if you mention it's a viral causation again we'll all know the retardation and pseudo mkt awareness is deep.  respectfully this is very different, 40% of china's manu base was and is still partially on total lockdown.  OF FKING COURSE YOU ARE GOING TO SEE A PULLBACK  to the world's economies who rely on them   JHC
    • Virologists already determined its just a matter of time before its spreading in the US. What most countries do, like with h1n1, is they quarantine people only if they are sick, and those in direct contact As you pointed out, the economic impact is far worse if we just shut down everything for a prolonged period of time.  A more systematic approach will develop with the coronavirus. My sister works in Milan... they are NOT shutting anything down.. even when one of her coworkers is confirmed infected.. they sent home a few employees who had direct contact. China quarantines have been going on for weeks now... correlated with little movement in the market.. So what else changed yesterday?
    • Lol...@only reason.  Stop please   And just like that. Diblasio calling on cdc to restrict travel from infected countries. Cdc is dropping ball
    • So, what should everyone do, if it's out of the bag?