High Exposure

Results of 16000 LEOs polled regarding Gun Control

BLUF: This is not intended to stir the pot. I thought it was interesting and would give some an insight to how many Police officers truly feel regarding gun control.

This survey was conducted from March 4 through March 14, 2013. Over 16000 Police Officers were polled on their feelings regarding gun control and the measures currently being attempted to undermine the 2A. 

I know it's not a perfect survey. I know that 16,000 poll takers is but a fraction of the Officers out there. 

Take it for what it is. Proof that unsworn citizens are not alone and that you have the backing of a significant portion of the Law Enforcement t community whether you believe it or not.

PoliceOne's Gun Control Survey: 11 key lessons from officers' perspectives

Never before has such a comprehensive survey of law enforcement officers’ opinions on gun control, gun violence, and gun rights been conducted.

Gun Survey 2013

In March, PoliceOne conducted the most comprehensive survey ever of American law enforcement officers’ opinions on the topic gripping the nation's attention in recent weeks: gun control.

More than 15,000 verified law enforcement professionals took part in the survey, which aimed to bring together the thoughts and opinions of the only professional group devoted to limiting and defeating gun violence as part of their sworn responsibility.

Related Resource:

PoliceOne's 2013 Gun Policy & Law Enforcement Survey Results: Executive Summary

Totaling just shy of 30 questions, the survey allowed officers across the United States to share their perspectives on issues spanning from gun control and gun violence to gun rights.

Top Line Takeaways

Breaking down the results, it's important to note that 70 percent of respondents are field-level law enforcers — those who are face-to-face in the fight against violent crime on a daily basis — not office-bound, non-sworn administrators or perpetually-campaigning elected officials.

1.) Virtually all respondents (95 percent) say that a federal ban on manufacture and sale of ammunition magazines that hold more than 10 rounds would not reduce violent crime.

2.) The majority of respondents — 71 percent — say a federal ban on the manufacture and sale of some semi-automatics would have no effect on reducing violent crime. However, more than 20 percent say any ban would actually have a negative effect on reducing violent crime. Just over 7 percent took the opposite stance, saying they believe a ban would have a moderate to significant effect. 

3.) About 85 percent of officers say the passage of the White House’s currently proposed legislation would have a zero or negative effect on their safety, with just over 10 percent saying it would have a moderate or significantly positive effect.

4.) Seventy percent of respondents say they have a favorable or very favorable opinion of some law enforcement leaders’ public statements that they would not enforce more restrictive gun laws in their jurisdictions. Similarly, more than 61 percent said they would refuse to enforce such laws if they themselves were Chief or Sheriff.

5.) More than 28 percent of officers say having more permissive concealed carry policies for civilians would help most in preventing large scale shootings in public, followed by more aggressive institutionalization for mentally ill persons (about 19 percent) and more armed guards/paid security personnel (about 15 percent). See enlarged image

6.) The overwhelming majority (almost 90 percent) of officers believe that casualties would be decreased if armed citizens were present at the onset of an active-shooter incident.

7.) More than 80 percent of respondents support arming school teachers and administrators who willingly volunteer to train with firearms and carry one in the course of the job.

8.) More than four in five respondents (81 percent) say that gun-buyback programs are ineffective in reducing gun violence.

9.) More than half of respondents feel that increased punishment for obviously illegal gun sales could have a positive impact on reducing gun violence.

10.) When asked whether citizens should be required to complete a safety training class before being allowed to buy a gun, about 43 percent of officers say it should not be required. About 42 percent say it should be required for all weapons, with the remainder favoring training classes for certain weapons. 

11.) While some officers say gun violence in the United States stems from violent movies and video games (14 percent), early release and short sentencing for violent offenders (14 percent) and poor identification/treatments of mentally-ill individuals (10 percent), the majority (38 percent) blame a decline in parenting and family values.

Bottom Line Conclusions

Quite clearly, the majority of officers polled oppose the theories brought forth by gun-control advocates who claim that proposed restrictions on weapon capabilities and production would reduce crime.

In fact, many officers responding to this survey seem to feel that those controls will negatively affect their ability to fight violent criminals.

Contrary to what the mainstream media and certain politicians would have us believe, police overwhelmingly favor an armed citizenry, would like to see more guns in the hands of responsible people, and are skeptical of any greater restrictions placed on gun purchase, ownership, or accessibility.

The officers patrolling America’s streets have a deeply-vested interest — and perhaps the most relevant interest — in making sure that decisions related to controlling, monitoring, restricting, as well as supporting and/or prohibiting an armed populace are wise and effective. With this survey, their voice has been heard.

Link to the Summary - http://ddq74coujkv1i.cloudfront.net/p1_gunsurveysummary_2013.pdf

Check out #s 19-22 specifically

I see a lot of people talking about how the Cops want to take your guns and how Cops feel they are better than the "little people", the "un-anointed", or the "Hoi Polloi".

Most Cops I know would take umbrage with that sentiment as it is flatly untrue.

Most of us are on the same team here. If we don't stand together, we will surely hang separately.

Someone write to the APP or NJ.COM and try to get them to publish this. It should be pitched to them as something along the line of:

A LARGE PERCENTAGE OF POLICE OFFICERS BELIEVE PROPOSED GUN LAWS ACTUALLY MAKE US LESS SAFE

A headline like that will def grab people's attention

Very good..... I'm thinking that some of the negativity in the polls were officers close to the top brass more so than anything below Sgt. This is not negative in my thoughts. So don't consider this bashing. If you know me by now, you know I'm not like that... Only an observation in my old dept...

Anything close to the top seem to side with the politician end of the spectrum. I watched a patrolman I worked with, climb the ladder of rank. As he approached close to chief, he slowly became unbearable to talk to. We use to work out together. We use to be able to talk like to good old Joes as friends. Once he reached the top, he forgot who I was and any chats we use to have were forgotten. He then became ignorant to the people at the bottom. Some of the guys retired as patrolmen because they wouldn't bend to his ways. Men I considered good cops. Today he is retired with a 6 figured retirement and can care less anymore. He got what he wanted.

I'm not saying it's like this everywhere. Maybe it's regionalized. But it's there. Look at that jackwagon Chief of Chicago. No political agenda there? Blah!

Sent from John's iPad 2 via Tapatalk HD

Typos courtesy Apple...

I wonder how many of those pro-gun LEO guys and gals from the survey were standing behind Obama when he made his latest pitch for his gun control proposals?

I remember reading somewhere (don't remember if on this forum) that a lot of LEO are pressured by their chiefs to toe the anti line.

I just sent this email to all the legislators and I attached a PDF of the survey along with it.

Dear Legislators,

I am writing to you as a law abiding gun owner here in the state of NJ. Currently new gun bills are being proposed which will have no effect on crime but will only hinder law abiding citizens from protecting themselves under the 2nd Amendment of the Constitution of the United States of America. It will not only affect law abiding citizens but it will also have no impact or even a negative impact on public safety. I have a attached a survey conducted by PoliceOne. It was conducted by current and retired law enforcement officers, mostly of whom were field officers. As you can see by this survey, if any new restrictive gun laws are passed which affect only the law abiding citizen, will be a hindrance not only to the general public at large but to also local and state law enforcement.

I hope that you, as our elected legislators, do the right thing. Do not pass feel good legislation to appease the public. But pass common sense legislation that will actually help to reduce crime, enforce current laws and do not let violent criminals out of jail early. Crimes committed with firearms should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law and no plea bargains should be permitted in such crimes.

I hope that you actually read my email and review the attached PDF so that you will see that law abiding citizens and law enforcement have a common interest to help reduce crime.

Thank you for your time and attention.

Sincerely,

QUESTION, kinda on topic, but not at the same time. i thought i'd seen something in here with links to the email addys of all of our legislators.....but can't find it now? if i'm right, could someone be so kind as to steer me there again? please?

I wonder how many of those pro-gun LEO guys and gals from the survey were standing behind Obama when he made his latest pitch for his gun control proposals?

They were most likely detailed there. Their true feelings on the matter are not relavent. If the POTUS, whoever he may be, wants DC Metro to send over 50 officers in Class A uniform he gets them.

Here's a link to the relevant Policeone page: http://www.policeone...icers-thoughts/

I'd love to see the geographic breakdown of those polled.

I know what you are saying but you may be surprised at how many officers on both the RTPD and the FBPD are Pro 2A. Remember that lots of these officers grew up in the area and some are avid hunters and firearms enthusiasts.

It seems almost too good to be true. Looking at the Policeone website, it seems pretty nonpolitical.

It definitely shows that police chiefs reflect the opinions of their political masters more so than of the rank and file.

it isnt the first poll of sworn officers that show that..just the most recent.

I don't think it's so much the country being more pro-gun as much as it is the minority being anti-gun.

Or maybe a majority as being pro constitution regardless of the issue. That would be best in my book...