Arizona

Dick's won't sell field boxes without answering questions about citizenship

Not to stir anything up, but I just went to Dicks on Rt. 22 and spoke with both an associate and a manager. Out of curiousity, I asked them if their store policy has changed, because I haven't purchased anything from that location since Sandy hit last Fall. Last fall, I purchased some home defense rounds with 110% no questions asked. I provided my license, FID, and was out of the door in 15 minutes.

Niether the manager or associate working in the hunting section had any idea what I was talking about. They said I would need a valid drivers license and FID to purchase guns or ammo. I could purchase accessories, gun safes, etc. without any form of ID. Knives would require me to show ID proving I'm of age.

Who exactly did you deal with? Because nobody in that store had any idea what I was talking about when I mentioned a proof of citizenship.

Wow. Thank you.

But now how can I be righteously indignant?

Not to stir anything up, but I just went to Dicks on Rt. 22 and spoke with both an associate and a manager. Out of curiousity, I asked them if their store policy has changed, because I haven't purchased anything from that location since Sandy hit last Fall. Last fall, I purchased some home defense rounds with 110% no questions asked. I provided my license, FID, and was out of the door in 15 minutes.

Niether the manager or associate working in the hunting section had any idea what I was talking about. They said I would need a valid drivers license and FID to purchase guns or ammo. I could purchase accessories, gun safes, etc. without any form of ID. Knives would require me to show ID proving I'm of age.

Who exactly did you deal with? Because nobody in that store had any idea what I was talking about when I mentioned a proof of citizenship.

If their policy hasn't changed I would attribute it to the constant turn over in employees and a service minded General Manager who saw the policy as a hindrance to the smooth flow of money from customer's pocket to register. I've shopped 4 Dick's over the years solely for ammo and accessories and each location reflects the professionalism or lack thereof of the location's manager.

@Duppie

I agree with you. That's what I was trying to say in my original post. They rarely have anyone in those stores who have knowledge of gun laws in NJ. You will have a different result at different locations. I have witnessed people being told that there is a limit on how many boxes of ammo you can purchase in New Jersey while at the store in Woodbridge.

The reason I checked this out for myself was because I have friends in town that shop there frequently for minor hunting supplies, mostly out of convenience. I have never heard of them asking for proof of citizenship. I'm not saying it didn't happen, but it's obviously not a policy if their manager looked at me like I was speaking another language.

the question appears on the credit /debt card swiping screen when checking out.... It has come up everytime I hav bought anything in the lodge section of dicks...

Sort of like demanding my phone number to buy a bag of doggie treats at PetSmart. Here, take my $5 and let me get on my way. Don't worry about my phone number.

Normally I'd just answer the question about the plastic case and move on, but more and more I'm balancing the idea of not being rude to a clerk who is following orders versus a slow drip to what next level of rules may come about. Sort of the frog in the pot of water slowly heating up effect.

I called corporate and the rep could not answer my question. He kept telling me about purchasing ammo and firearms and of course this box was not either. He did ask me several times if I was planning on storing ammo in the box. What difference does it make? Maybe I'll use it as a lunch box. He kept trying to get my personal information. He was not helpful and annoyed that I wanted an answer.

Why do I care about this question? Many posters have answered that already. Simply put I would like to know WHY! Why ask if the sale goes thru anyway? What's the point? I don't believe it's a CYA thing, if it is just say it. There must be a reason and they wouldn't or couldn't say what it is.

Also I don't blame the low level employees but what's wrong with asking them? They do represent the company and maybe they could have given me the answer right away. Certainly asking the manager that question is appropriate.

I don't mind "admitting I'm a citizen" but that's not the point. It's a slippery slope and if at some point you don't stop and say wait a minute what is this all about?.......well you understand.

I'll shop elsewhere.

I called corporate and the rep could not answer my question. He kept telling me about purchasing ammo and firearms and of course this box was not either. He did ask me several times if I was planning on storing ammo in the box. What difference does it make? Maybe I'll use it as a lunch box. He kept trying to get my personal information. He was not helpful and annoyed that I wanted an answer.

Why do I care about this question? Many posters have answered that already. Simply put I would like to know WHY! Why ask if the sale goes thru anyway? What's the point? I don't believe it's a CYA thing, if it is just say it. There must be a reason and they wouldn't or couldn't say what it is.

Also I don't blame the low level employees but what's wrong with asking them? They do represent the company and maybe they could have given me the answer right away. Certainly asking the manager that question is appropriate.

I don't mind "admitting I'm a citizen" but that's not the point. It's a slippery slope and if at some point you don't stop and say wait a minute what is this all about?.......well you understand.

I'll shop elsewhere.

no I really don't understand... I don't know what slippery slope you are referring to.. what do you envision as the next step in this slippery slope..

while I admit I have no idea why they are asking people this.. I am willing to bet it does not have a whole lot to do with depriving you of your rights in any way...

Nope, remain calm. We have no rights being shoved down any slippery slope. We're all paranoid.

Quote from another post:

A 2009 “Search Warrant Handbook” from the IRS Criminal Tax Division’s Office of Chief Counsel baldly asserts that “the Fourth Amendment does not protect communications held in electronic storage, such as e-mail messages stored on a server, because Internet users do not have a reasonable expectation of privacy in such communications.” Again in 2010, a presentation by the IRS Office of Chief Counsel asserts that the “[Fourth] Amendment Does Not Protect E-mails Stored on Server” and there is “No Privacy Expectation” in those e-mails.

A reasonable person would never think that both issues are nothing but symptoms of the same terminal disease.

no I really don't understand... I don't know what slippery slope you are referring to.. what do you envision as the next step in this slippery slope..

while I admit I have no idea why they are asking people this.. I am willing to bet it does not have a whole lot to do with depriving you of your rights in any way...

The next step would be denying sales to people who can't own firearms and ammo. So I guess you can't buy a stupid plastic box either. Or in NJ they'll ask you to show your FID card to buy every thing gun related - boxes, cases, paper targets etc. Because people just blindly complied and thought it was no big deal, it's no big deal to expand it just a little right? And a little again, and again, and again.

The next step would be denying sales to people who can't own firearms and ammo. So I guess you can't buy a stupid plastic box either. Or in NJ they'll ask you to show your FID card to buy every thing gun related - boxes, cases, paper targets etc. Because people just blindly complied and thought it was no big deal, it's no big deal to expand it just a little right? And a little again, and again, and again.

And at that point you would have something to complain about... No one is telling you you can't buy a plastic box... No one is telling you an FID is needed for one.... Nothing even kind of like that is happening... Your jumping to huge conclusions... You can sit around all day and stress over what the "next step" is.... But again I'd be far more worried about actual gun rights....

Hmmm, interesting. I plan on stopping by their East Brunswick location later tonight to buy some #8 target loads so I'll indicate that I am not a citizen and report back

Chances are you won't even be asked......

Vlad, it's called nipping it in the bud. If they gradually turn up the heat and people think small steps are no big deal, before you know it you'll have a huge mess on your hands.

We will have to just agree to disagree...

I don't see asking a question of a buyer as a gradual in invasion of your rights...

I do see the government making you produce picture ID and a special card just to buy ammo as being intrusive...

That's my point in the whole thing... The process to buy handgun ammo is absurd at best.... Yet we all allow it... But someone asks if you are a citizen and we get a 4 page rant about it...

Asking for ID and recording all info for handgun ammo...

Asking anonymously if you are a citizen...

Guess which one is more likely to end up being a problem...

Here's a question for a few of you, and put aside the fact that this purchase was for a plastic ammo box. It's already been explained how the employees of Dick's are not competent when it comes to weapons and NJ laws.

Do you think proof of citizenship should be required for:

Unemployment?

Welfare?

Healthcare?

I know that most of you would say yes to that. So what's the problem? A machine asks you a yes or no question and you're ready to blow your lid over it. Nobody challenged your 2a position, or asked why you need these items, etc. It all started because of a simple question which is already asked for multiple purchases and services in this country.

Here's a question for a few of you, and put aside the fact that this purchase was for a plastic ammo box. It's already been explained how the employees of Dick's are not competent when it comes to weapons and NJ laws.

Unemployment?

Welfare?

Healthcare?

I know that most of you would say yes to that. So what's the problem? A machine asks you a yes or no question and you're ready to blow your lid over it. Nobody challenged your 2a position, or asked why you need these items, etc. It all started because of a simple question which is already asked for multiple purchases and services in this country.

Citizenship or legal residence?

Citizenship or legal residence?

That is the operative question.

A resident alien can do anything a citizen can. Other than run for president. And then only natural born.

Citizenship questions are ridiculous in the extreme. If the question is "are you in the US legally" that's a horse of a different color entirely. Still illegal, but a different topic altogether.

That is the operative question.

A resident alien can do anything a citizen can. Other than run for president. And then only natural born.

Citizenship questions are ridiculous in the extreme. If the question is "are you in the US legally" that's a horse of a different color entirely. Still illegal, but a different topic altogether.

We have officially made one big circle....please go back and read post #49. There is no argument here, we already established that the question holds no merit so where is your point?

I came across this explanation a few minutes ago. http://www.gunssavelife.com/?p=2082

I still don't see where anyone's rights are being taken away or challenged. It's a prompt on the credit card machine which I guess comes up for all purchases from the firearms department. They aren't asking for proof.

It's similar to being asked whether computer parts I purchased recently would be shipped over seas or for use within the United States. I clicked no, and received my parts. These are policies placed by the stores or dealers to protect their investment.

Duppie:

I understand your line of reasoning in post #49. You are correct in the statement that many more important issues go unchallenged. I too have an issue with over the top indignation with silly situations like this yet many of the righteously indignant will post their entire lives on social media. One must try, at least, to have some continuity in one's point of view. I assume that since we are on a forum for NJ gun enthusiasts, we all are aware of the full assault on our gun rights and therefore would bristle at the erosion of any of our rights since we see the bill of rights as the foundation of our beliefs. Although it seems an innocuous question, it's dumb, and even with the citation of the law by their top brass, just plain wrong reading and application of a law.

My point is that any questions by any entity need to be answered with your suggested "none of your business" and go along your merry way. We cannot accept a commercial entity taking on this role for sake of its perceived liability-reduction expediency. If we all did that to these types of questions, these entities would think twice before following this tack. Geez, try reading a EULA before you hit "agree" it make this situation seem pleasant. Now that I've belabored the issue and whipped the proverbial dead horse, I will concede that it is all silly.

My apologies.

The cashier at Dicks in paramus asked me my birthdate.I said no thanks.

He then pointed to credit card machine and said answer the question.

I said no.I pay cash,don't own credit card.

If they really wanted my info they could have just looked in log book.LOL

I'm no expert but can you tell me just one gun law that has passed in NJ in the last 40 years that has been favorable to gun owners? We have gotten into a 2A hole in this state and the legislature has dozens more anti 2a laws ready to steamroll your rights in the near future. Fact is even if Christie veto's most of these its just a matter of time before a new governor takes office and signs such laws.

I think enough is enough. It's just one question right? ......until the next one and the next one and so on....

When I applied for my FID the police sent a questionnaire to my employer. Before my boss filled out the form he asked me why I was buying a gun?

I really don't want to be asked anymore questions by anyone regarding exercising my rights.. I'm a little fed up with this crap.

However if you don't mind this type of intrusion that's good because a whole lot more of this will be coming to NJ in the future.

Unemployment?

Welfare?

Healthcare?

Show me where in the constitution that unemployment, welfare and healthcare are rights that shall not be infringed.

Unemployment compensation is insurance. Noncitizens (green card or not) can collect. I collected unemployment a total of one time and I don't think I was asked if I was a citizen or not.

You may want to read my post over again. I ASKED whether or not you think proof of citizenship should be required to collect benefits provided for welfare, unemployment, & healthcare. These are all things that people are taking advantage of, without having the proper documentation. And I still don't see where your rights are being infringed.

Federal Firearms law:

12. Aliens

a. Legal Immigrant on a Visa (permanent resident with a green card)
– May possess firearms and ammo; may purchase firearms from a FFL after establishing residency in a State for a 90 consecutive days, 27 C.F.R. §478.11, definition for "State of residence".

b.
Legal Non-Immigrant on a Visa
- is prohibited from possessing a firearm or ammo, § 922(g)(5) 10 years, unless an exception or waiver exists under § 922 (y)(2)&(3); if a non-immigrant has an exception or waiver, he must establish residency in a State for 90 consecutive days before purchasing a firearm from an FFL.

You are being overly sensitive to something that is not infringing on your rights. This is a law, which most gun owners (at least those I know) believe in. Do you really want non-citizens to be able to have the rights that you are fighting for yourself? Do you really think that someone who is not here legally, not in the system, & has not been fingerprinted, should be able to purchase ANYTHING firearms related? I sure as hell don't. To be honest, Dick's just simply asking whether or not you are a US citizen is about the only thing they have done right lately. I only wish the credit card machine gave me the option of "DAMN RIGHT"

Show me where in the constitution that unemployment, welfare and healthcare are rights that shall not be infringed.

Unemployment compensation is insurance. Noncitizens (green card or not) can collect. I collected unemployment a total of one time and I don't think I was asked if I was a citizen or not.