Matteo323

On my way to NJ

Hey guys my plan is to be in Jersey by the time school starts for my daughter this fall.So moving from Long Island I know about restrictive gun laws.I'm very sad to give up my m1 carbine,but at least I won't have to register my ar-15,it was Ny compliant just last year but now it's a baby killer,has 10 round mags ,no flash /muzzle device has a target crown muzzle,no bayonet lug and a pinned and epoxied stock.My sks has original stock and fixed 10 round mag ,10/22 was put back to original to avoid safe act,everything else is bolt or lever action.I do have a black powder pistol and some air guns do they need to be registered ?I'm also a volunteer firefighter,if any one can fill me in on Nj requirements.Most likely moving to Wayne or Parsippany ,any public ranges out here?thanks guys

Welcome. Normally you would be greeted by a chorus of "Stay away's", but given the SAFE act, NJ may be a comparative haven - at least for a little while longer.

No need to register any guns on moving into NJ, as long as they were legally purchased and are NJ compliant.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Hi, Welcome.

It sounds as if your firearms are NJ legal already. All you need to do is take them to your new home.

You will probably want to get your firearms Purchaser ID card as soon as possible but is it not required by law. You will need it to purchase any ammo that can be be used in a handgun and some places want it for all ammo even though it's not required by law.

You may travel to and from Ranges without a FPID.

As far as ranges, there is a new one in Woodland Park, not far from Wayne. There is also RTSP in Randolph. There is a big outdoor range called Cherry Ridge in Highland Lakes that is about 30 minutes from Wayne but it requires membership.

Keep going south!!! :)

As for the FF thing.. Im not exactly sure if nj grants reciprocity (theyre a self centered group) but you can ask by calling or searching out the nj department of fire safety (incorporated into the dept of community affairs) to see if they do grant reciprocity from certain states.

Glad to see you escaping the armpit of the east coast, but the tainted water is flowing steadily south as it seems our politicians will do anything to win the oppressor of the decade award. Good luck and welcome!!

As far as I know schools are believed to be better in Wayne, but Parsippany is ok (it's "better" vs "good").

If you are planning to buy a house, get ready for high property tax in Wayne. Property tax is more reasonable in Parsippany.

(Best proportion of price/quality you can get in Hanover Twp, IMO)

Parsippany is ran by Nazis.... Be forewarned.

Parsippany is fine as a neighborhood, but if you are NOT Asian - you will be in BIG minority.

Sent from John's iPad 2 via Tapatalk HD

Typos courtesy Apple...

As for the FF thing.. Im not exactly sure if nj grants reciprocity (theyre a self centered group) but you can ask by calling or searching out the nj department of fire safety (incorporated into the dept of community affairs) to see if they do grant reciprocity from certain states.

Agreed although if you have the pro-board cert you should be good to go as NJ is turning into a pro-board state and NREMT standards for EMS.

Kinda leaning more towards Parsipany ,we saw a house in Wayne in a nice neighborhood then as we were leaving I kinda got lost and found myself in place I wish I had my ar with me,and it got ugly quick.

That place was Paterson - capital of Passaic county - not a good place to be.

As long as you stay away from Paterson you are OK. Also it's better to be in the middle or north part of Wayne (few years ago I was considering buying a house in Wayne, but decided it doesn't make sense to pay extra 3-5K in property taxes while getting nothing in return).

Parsippany is good for rent, but I wouldn't buy a house there. If you are going to rent and need elementary school - I would suggest Lake Hiawatha (part of Parsippany Twp).

If you are planning to buy a house around Parsippany, I would suggest Cedar Knolls(Hanover Twp) or Montville.

Few years ago I've done extensive research and ended up buying in Cedar Knolls.

Not sure what part of Wayne it was.We are trying to stay close to the mall in Wayne on 46.My wife's new job is on 46 across from the mall.Trying to give her the easy commute this time.Her commute now to the city door to door is 1hr 15 min.,while I had a 4 mile round trip commute that was including the day care drop off and pick up.I see there are a lot of dealer ships on 46 so that will work for me also.My wife's family is all in Montville but we can't swing that kind of money yet on a house.looking to stay in low $500,000.I'll check Cedar Knolls,thanks guys

Not sure what part of Wayne it was.We are trying to stay close to the mall in Wayne on 46.My wife's new job is on 46 across from the mall.Trying to give her the easy commute this time.Her commute now to the city door to door is 1hr 15 min.,while I had a 4 mile round trip commute that was including the day care drop off and pick up.I see there are a lot of dealer ships on 46 so that will work for me also.My wife's family is all in Montville but we can't swing that kind of money yet on a house.looking to stay in low $500,000.I'll check Cedar Knolls,thanks guys

Be careful where in Wayne you look. The mall and surrounding areas flood during severe storms when the Passaic and Pompton rivers cannot handle the flow. They join in Wayne. It is a good thing that my office is 4 feet above ground level and did not flood but the office was an island and I could not get to it.

Close to the mall gets flooded and it's not a good part of Wayne (big town, hast it's own kinda "trailer part"). Extra 10 minutes will not make commute so bad, but will give you better quality of life.

Montville is not that expensive as long as you stay away from new construction 3000 sq ft houses. There are plenty of normal homes Few years back I found few houses under 450, so you should be just fine with today's priced in low 500.

Yea definitely stay away from the flood zones in wayne if that's where you were looking. Because commute wise if she's by the mall on 46 shooting down 23 a little bit beats an hour fifteen look further away possibly even kinnelon decent schools decent population 15 mins from the mall area and 20 mins from cherry ridge :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Look in Hanover Township (Cedar knolls/ Whippany are the 2 sections of Hanover Twsp) and/or east Hanover. Great schools, low taxes, quite, safe neighborhoods, close to all major shopping and highways. Hanover township has a volunteer fire department that's always looking for guys.

Use www.gsmls.com to search for real estate. Morris county under Hanover township.

There is a 4 BDRM house on my block for sale by owner (Whippany). 1/2 acre, taxes $7,000. 529k negotiable. Pm me for more info.

I can be at the mall in 15 min.

I was just thinking what would happen if a cop pulled you over and for some reason you told him you had a gun in the trunk on your way to the range. He would probably ask for your nj firearm id card and then you would tell him you dont have one because the guns were purchased when you lived out of state. Im sure it would go south quick. Hope everything goes smooth for you. Your post just got me thinking about that scenario. Obviously this state changes your way of thinking. But Im sure you are already use to that coming from NY. Best of luck

Keep going south!!! :)

Glad to see you escaping the armpit of the east coast, but the tainted water is flowing steadily south as it seems our politicians will do anything to win the oppressor of the decade award. Good luck and welcome!!

Nj does have some sort of reciprocity. We had a few guys that moved to town get their FF1 that way. I forget the whole process, I think you'll have to provide your NY transcripts to DFS.

As for the firearms. Sounds like you're good. As mentioned above you'll want FPID to get handgun ammo or any future purchases.