KELEKONA

Transporting ammo on airplane??

I am taking a trip to Texas next week and was wondering what the rules are on bringing JUST ammo on a plane. I figure if I find some ammo down there, would it be ok for me to purchase it and bring it home with me? Im not checking bags, doing carry-on only. Want to know if it will be a hassle or not, Im not having any luck finding ammo around here!!

You can not bring ammo as carry on! You will need to check a bag and let the airline know so they can fill out a decoration. Leave it in the manufacture boxes and put it in a bag with some clothes or whatever. You will be fine. The only other option is to ship it I dont know how to go about that but sure can be done. Btw what kind of ammo?

There is a weight limit on ammo, but it seems to vary by airline. It often involves a '5', but I've seen 5 boxes, 500 rounds, 5 lbs, 5 kilos... You can generally find the airline limits by reading through the fine print on the airline's web page(s) on baggage. I'd suggest printing out a copy of the policy and bringing it with you; airline and TSA employees won't necessarily know the rules, and you don't want them making up their own.

As stated before, factory packaging (or equivalent, like plastic MTM boxes), checked baggage only, and I'd lock it. I think a TSA compliant lock is ok for ammo only, while for firearms they want a lock for which the TSA doesn't have master keys.