imperialfish

Pitbull friendly home insurance

i know this is going to sound stupid to many, but why do you need to tell them you have a pitbull? Why not just say you have a "terrier mix" ? Is your pitbull prone to biting?

I have FMI insurance, but thats because they are one of like 2 companies in NJ that will cover a house with an underground oil tank (even though the insurance itself doesnt actually cover the tank)

I'm not an agent nor in the insurance business, but in both cases that I required HOI, the agent asked as a representative of the carrier if we had pets. At that point when we said,"dog" the underwriters followed up with questions in the breed, age, sex and whether or not we bought the dog and puppy or from a rescue.

In both cases it was explained to us, that given the breed and the imagine the breed has, it was in our best interest to disclose as much as bout her as possible. We provide dog school cert, advanced obedience certs, and even a short video of her playing with 18 month old son. FMI, State Farm and one other, I forget who, were the only ones who would underwrite us.

when we got our homeowners insurance, we had 3 little dogs (2 westies and a yorkie).. insurance companies dont worry too much about those dogs.. i've had the same insurance since and they've never asked for updated info (those dogs died 6 years ago and we've had out "terrier/hound mix" for the past 5).. the funny thing is, our little dogs (especially our 17 year old westie) was MUCH MUCH more likely to bite someone than our current 80lb mix

Also, it poses a liability risk. If you say no dog, and your Pitbull attacks someone, Insurance company will go after you for the costs of any settlement that they pay out.

In my line of work, we get about 3 substantial dog bites a year to my employees. So far, ALL have been pit bulls and this is no coincidence. They are a known risk and you will pay for the coverage. Also, be wary of the fine print.

Good luck.

Check with ahs shelters..not for a new dog , but for a referral for a policy. They same way we refer to 2A friendly businesses of all descriptions , they will have a list of pit friendly HOI . For south jersey try www.ahscares.org . They also have Tinton Falls and Newark facilities.

Good luck!

when we got our homeowners insurance, we had 3 little dogs (2 westies and a yorkie).. insurance companies dont worry too much about those dogs.. i've had the same insurance since and they've never asked for updated info (those dogs died 6 years ago and we've had out "terrier/hound mix" for the past 5).. the funny thing is, our little dogs (especially our 17 year old westie) was MUCH MUCH more likely to bite someone than our current 80lb mix

Out of all the dog breeds Westies bite the most people. Allot of people don't report the bite or seek medical attention because the damage is not that bad.