Teky0101

The Cicadas Are Coming!

Is it wrong I love using these at work. Also is great to smack elbows and calves of your coworkers when they aren't looking

Sent from my hidden under ground bunker between Taco Bell and the dry cleaner

wait so should I worry about my trees ??

I'm a new home owner so I don't know much about insects issues. is there anything I can spray to keep them away or they don't really hurt trees ?

If I remember correctly, back in '96 the adults (i was only 18) put tin foil around the bases of the trees, and that seemed to work.

wait so should I worry about my trees ??

I'm a new home owner so I don't know much about insects issues. is there anything I can spray to keep them away or they don't really hurt trees ?

It seems like no worries unless you have young trees.

http://insects.about.com/od/insectpests/f/cicadadamage.htm

But you could collect them and eat them!

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/cicada-cooking-pizza-tacos-jello-article-1.1314334 :notme: :notme:

I hate those cicadas but I also loathe the cicada killer wasps that show up along with them They nest in the ground and are the size of a B-17..apparently they dont sting but I aint playing with a 4 inch wasp..

I saw one of those last week. Just left it alone and backed away slowly.

I hate those cicadas but I also loathe the cicada killer wasps that show up along with them They nest in the ground and are the size of a B-17..apparently they dont sting but I aint playing with a 4 inch wasp..

Dude... the first time I saw one of them I almost sh*t.

I was hit by a swarm of bee's as a kid... I don't eff with anything that has a stinger.

ive had an irrational fear of bees (of any kind) since i was younger as well.. unless its a honey bee, i kill a stinging insect on sight. Wasps, hornets, other bees, mosquitos, etc. and any other insect inside my home at any time (except lady bugs). im deadly with my hat at swatting bugs

Dude... the first time I saw one of them I almost sh*t.

I was hit by a swarm of bee's as a kid... I don't eff with anything that has a stinger.

You aint kidding.. Thats why ive declared war.. At night when theyre not out.. I hit the nests with boiling water and sprinkle Sevin powder on outside.. While not 100% it helps keep em in check..those things need clearance from FAA when they fly.. Lol

I have lived through them twice, the first time when I was 11 years old or so. They do not have stingers or I would have been stung hundreds of time because after a while we all started playing with them. They are just annoying and not as bad as they were before large areas of trees were uprooted. The last time they occurred it was nothing compared to the old days when you had to have someone pick them off you before entering the house. As a kid we started playing with them. If you grab one by the wings and throw it hard to the ground they make a satisfying popping sound. :) Seriously, there are men here who are afraid of bugs? Our ability to track and kill bugs is one of the manly reasons women marry us. Remember that there is only room for one person on a chair so you either push your wife off or fight that bug like a man. :)

I have lived through them twice, the first time when I was 11 years old or so. They do not have stingers or I would have been stung hundreds of time because after a while we all started playing with them. They are just annoying and not as bad as they were before large areas of trees were uprooted. The last time they occurred it was nothing compared to the old days when you had to have someone pick them off you before entering the house. As a kid we started playing with them. If you grab one by the wings and throw it hard to the ground they make a satisfying popping sound. :) Seriously, there are men here who are afraid of bugs? Our ability to track and kill bugs is one of the manly reasons women marry us. Remember that there is only room for one person on a chair so you either push your wife off or fight that bug like a man. :)

i think its more the fear of the cicada-killing wasps (they are big, ugly and CAN sting if they want).. cicada's themselves dont really bother me.. they are just big and ugly and loud.. my house didnt really see many of them last time around (2004) even though we are in the middle of woods on all sides.

All female wasps have stingers. That is how they kill cicadas.