Sign in to follow this  
cigarsnscotch

Combination rifles: Anyone have one or more?

I really enjoy the Alaska reality tv shows that have been produced, and one of them was the "Alaska Experiment". In that show they had a combination rifle that was .22/.410 and I thought to myself it would be a pretty neat rifle to own and practice with, potentially even do a little small game hunting with.

So I looked into them and did some searching and found the Savage Model 42. Saw a review on youtube, seemed pretty positive and looks like a fun rifle to shoot. Any other manufacturer's make these kinds of combo rifles that you folks know of?

Anyone have a combination rifle? If so, what's the setup? How do you like it?

This is really just another reason to purchase a new and different firearm, also would be a good trainer for my wife and my daughter when she becomes of age.

I just recently got an old Savage 24C .22/20. It's great. It breaks down into two pieces and fits in a nice pouch. There are compartments in the butt of the stock for several .22 cartridges and 20 gauge shells. Feels nice in the hand and shoots .22 shorts, .22LR, .22 shot, 20 gauge birdshot, and 20 gauge rifled slugs great.

It would make a great walk around gun, because you can carry in the stock compartment everything you need to kill anything from a mouse to a deer.

This one isn't mine, but shows you what it looks like.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://maxicon.com/guns/savage24c/savage_24c_case_original-3.jpg&imgrefurl=http://maxicon.com/guns/savage_24c.htm&h=286&w=498&sz=10&tbnid=lkakeOeoHyTLsM:&tbnh=72&tbnw=126&zoom=1&usg=__gmUw8Dt8UY8xx1nl8t2SRbg7pqY=&docid=9Vs3pY3P4Y6vvM&sa=X&ei=cIJnUbOIHrTl4AOs4YDIBA&ved=0CDIQ9QEwAA&dur=527

I have a Desert Tactical Arms SRS rifle. Its a bullpup rifle chasis that can switch out barrels in less than 90 seconds. You can shoot many different calibers with one rifle system. Saves space in the gun safe thats for sure and you only have to buy one scope. Right now I can shoot 308 Win, 260 Rem, and 338 Lapua Magnum. For the 338 Lapua you have to change the bolt and the magazine as well. Again, takes less than 90 seconds.

If the ergonomics fit you and the trigger is to your liking then you have a multi caliber precision long range rifle that can shoot at least 1/2 MOA all day long.

A Savage .22/.410 was my first gun, and I think they're the best to start a kid out with. I also have a Savage .22/20gu and a Stevens .22/.410. All three were made in the 1940's but are excellent as there's nothing really to wear out.

Used to use it pheasant hunting and could switch over to .22 if a rabbit popped out, or a coyote. Same with deer hunting; have a slug in the shotgun chamber, but can pop a squirrel with the .22 if they prove too tempting. They're a basic single-shot, so an awesome gun to teach safety and marksmanship to a kid with.

You seem them sometimes on Gunbroker for fairly low prices. Rossi, H&R, and Marlin also make them. Marlin has some high-power calibers too.