jrfly3006

Sweeney an NJ Sen intro 12 bills (no mag limit or online ammo ban)

"Require a valid firearms ID for the purchase of ammunition"

I think this will also further reduce the number of on line retailers that will sell to NJ. I know some allow us to fax a copy of the ID for pistol ammo, but this may influence some to simply not sell any ammo to NJ residents.

The state police already require this. Nothing new.

I'll hold judgement until I see the actual bill text. Devil is in the details.

- Right now we have no idea what the "centerpiece" bill will do.

- There is no mention of NICS records submission, A3717/S2492. I want to see that passed.

Based upon current information, bills I specifically oppose:

- "No fly" or "Terror Watch list".

- First, they don't know what they are talking about. FBI maintains "Terror watchlist", which feeds many lists, including DHS's "No Fly List" and "Selectee list" for DHS , "Violent Gang and Terrorist Organization File" for DoJ, etc... FBI is not DHS.

- FBI only sends out names for the lists. They don't send out why that name showed up on the list or other identifying information.

- FBI has been investigating matches since 2004. Why? Because they run both NICS and Terrorist Screening Database. They have access to cross-reference all the info.

- NJ cannot do a better job than FBI: NJ can only look at names. FBI can take a look at the name and other identifying information. So they can say "Yes this Edward "Ted" Kennedy is not that Edward Kennedy the Terrorist"

- If you want to support an effort like this, support Lautenberg's bill. Support it at FBI NICS-level, not duplicate effort at State-level.

- 50 Caliber BMG - This is not the cause of crime in the State of NJ, or any State.

- - - - (I'm on someone else's computer and their "enter" key is broken, so I apologize for the lack of paragraphs.) - Fixed.

These were the two I had the biggest problems with, as well. There is absolutely NO oversight in regard to the no-fly list and there is a rather large history of false-positives. If you're falsely or arbitrarily placed on the list, good luck getting off. Seriously.

As for the .50BMG ban, I don't need to tell anyone here how ridiculous that is. I especially don't like how it's labeled the ".50 caliber Barrett assault weapon". It has a small magazine or none at all if it's a bolt-action, requires a slow rate of fire to be effective, and doesn't do any of the other assault-y things that they claim make a rifle an "assault rifle". Not understanding their rationale only means I have a working brain. That's good news, at least.

Anyway, while I seem to share the same issues as others here, no one has mentioned this measure: "Prohibit state investments in companies that manufacture, import or sell assault rifles for civilian use". I'm no Constitutional law expert, nor do I know much about commerce law, but wouldn't this infringe on interstate commerce in some way and, therefore, be illegal? Even if it's not illegal, this is just another way to strangle firearms manufacturers and we should be concerned.

Post a link of the bills if you find them.

I'm OK with adding photo's to FID, but given the time it's taking NJSP to do anything, I really don't want to have to get a new FID or have to reapply to exercise my constitutional right and be without a FID for months/years while they drag their feet.

You contradict yourself with that statement...I know that only thing this would do would be to create an incredible backlog to a process that already take an unreasonable amount of time to begin with. Can you imagine if every single FID holder in this state would have to apply for their FIDS all over again at the same time?? I would imagine many FFL holders would probably have to shut down because there would be no way to sell their inventory in this state.

Guess you missed my post in the other thread. This is not a good idea. IF something happens and you are charged with anything related to guns, they WILL take your card on the spot whether you are innocent or not. Taking a combined card also means losing your DL and then you cannot drive!

John you are right in your thinking. They are hoping that many people will not want the added risk to their DL...which is how people get to work, and pay their bills. They are hoping that they will just frustrate and scare people away from exercising their constitutional rights.

BTW, and I will catch flack for this, I'm ok with a training requirement in theory. Yeah it is a constitutional right, but let me ask you this, would want people to prove they understand the constitution before they are allowed to vote? It is the practice of implementing it that bothers me.

I've seen so many idiots on the range that have no idea how to handle their firearms that I've actually told the clubs I belong to that they should have a club based training requirement. Think of all the times we've said "this idiot in the news makes all of us look bad".

Hence, you're the problem with NJ. Government can resolve problems and people are too stupid to think for themselves. Once you have government involved with everything, you must go through government for everything. You don't understand what America is all about. It's about the individual taking responsibility for their actions and their lives. You're letting the 1% "screw ups" dictate the law for the other 99% of us. You're buying into the mantra that "government is the answer".

It's thought processes like this that screw up this country. Go ahead, let the government handle it instead of someone at the range teaching and showing or for crying out loud, maybe you could help and teach someone instead of pawning it off to some government bureaucrat every time. Society is "dumbed" down because of this backwards thinking. Go ahead, have government force us into safety and see where it gets us...Sheesh!

Oooh big woop BB gun has been reduced in punishment are you kidding me that's what your wasting time on. Why is that a crime at all a frakking BB gun. You don't even need to get a Nics check for a BB gun it's not a gun.

When it boils down its the legislate for the sake of legislating mentality and overbearing nonsense that makes my blood boil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Or conversely if your DL is suspended without your knowledge for some unknown traffic offense, away goes your FPID as well

Or consider how many people lose their licenses - the physical card itself, not loss of privileges through adjudication.

Someone finds the actual card, sees the FID "endorsement", and voila... time to visit the address printed on the card to purloin some goodies...

Worse than losing the card... your license becomes part of a mugger's "haul" when you are robbed of your wallet. Again, see above paragraph...

A driver's license endorsement is bad news...

As far as a new "state-of-the-art" FID card.... if the information pertaining to permitting, mental health records, criminal record, etc. is constantly being updated real time..... why would one need to renew this card?

Oh, right... this is PRNJ... like cell phone plans, we bill Constitutional rights by the minute...

Hence, you're the problem with NJ.

Okie, I'm the problem. But .. did you happen to read my other post down the line where I quoted the US Constitution and the powers to regulate training of the Militia? Do you understand why that matters and how it affects this topic or are you just mad in general?

To everyone else getting all worried about the drivers licenses and making up scenarios .. to my mind the most likely situation is that your drivers licenses will have an electronic endorsement which can be electronically rescinded. Stop living in the world where computers don't exist. How about you worry about not doing something that rescinds your FID, how often has that happened to you so far?

So every time I get pulled over an officer will be allowed to search my car for his safety since I own a firearm

Did you read the thread? Do you understand that the police officer pulling you over already knows if you have an FID before he gets out of his car already? He could already do what you are worrying about. He could be doing it because of you have a NRA bumper sticker. But it doesn't happen now and it will not happen because of a DL endorsement because it wouldn't stand in court, if it did they could already do that.

Does this mean pistol purchases with just an FID and no P2P? While it certainly will not make up for any negative provisions it would be nice.

HAHA. You probably got it backwards. Probably means you need P2P to buy a rifle. HAHA again!

Does this mean pistol purchases with just an FID and no P2P? While it certainly will not make up for any negative provisions it would be nice.

HAHA. You probably got it backwards. Probably means you need P2P to buy a rifle. HAHA again!

I constantly ask myself, "How much are people going to take before enough is enough?"

I think I just found my answer...

Did you read the thread? Do you understand that the police officer pulling you over already knows if you have an FID before he gets out of his car already? He could already do what you are worrying about. He could be doing it because of you have a NRA bumper sticker. But it doesn't happen now and it will not happen because of a DL endorsement because it wouldn't stand in court, if it did they could already do that.

Depends if the FID is tied to the registration of the vehicle or just a driver's license. That would need to be clarified.

http://www.nj.com/politics/index.ssf/2013/04/nj_senate_democrats_delay_intr.html#incart_special-report

Sweeney, for his part, said the delay has nothing to do with the fact that he's in a swing legislative district that contains rural areas.

He's feeling the heat.

Well then let's keep it on.

Now that I know that the earliest we're seeing something is next week, I'll send out letters tomorrow and then more when the text comes out.

And we need to keep the pressure on Sweeney, he needs to keep getting letters, faxes, emails and phone calls letting him know that his constituents do not support this.

Depends if the FID is tied to the registration of the vehicle or just a driver's license. That would need to be clarified.

I'm not a LEO but am a civilian employee for a PD and would like to clarify. NO FID information shows up when a registration or DL is run in DMV or the MDT inside the car. The SBI system is completely separate and can only be checked from inside headquarters. There is no way for the officer to know if you have a FID, own any firearms or have a criminal history for that matter.

I'm not a LEO but am a civilian employee for a PD and would like to clarify. NO FID information shows up when a registration or DL is run in DMV or the MDT inside the car. The SBI system is completely separate and can only be checked from inside headquarters. There is no way for the officer to know if you have a FID, own any firearms or have a criminal history for that matter.

So if they are about to go serve a warrant they can look it up.

But if a guy on patrol pulls you over, they can't tell.

Not sure it matters much. Not many FID holders would transport a firearm except as required by law, in trunk or locked case.

Or conversely if your DL is suspended without your knowledge for some unknown traffic offense, away goes your FPID as well

Why, your Driver's License information doesn't magically disappear when your DL gets suspended. You privilege to operate a MV is simply suspended. When you surrender your DL in court, you can simply go to DMV and get a ID only one with all your info.

That is correct!

The FID info may not be tied to your DL or registration but I think it is tied to your address and available in the MDT that way. If the PD is called to an address for something they know beforehand if there have been P2P's or FID's applications.

So if they are about to go serve a warrant they can look it up.

But if a guy on patrol pulls you over, they can't tell.

Not sure it matters much. Not many FID holders would transport a firearm except as required by law, in trunk or locked case.

Correct the system can be checked from inside headquarters and will be for various reasons including if they are going to serve a warrant

The FID info may not be tied to your DL or registration but I think it is tied to your address and available in the MDT that way. If the PD is called to an address for something they know beforehand if there have been P2P's or FID's applications.

The only way to know from the car is if the in house CAD system is accessible from the cars MDT (there is no way to do a search by address in DMV). If it is they would be able to see that information if it is put into the CAD and then it would be for their town only. There is no way for them to see that information if you are not a resident and is not a part of the look up on a MV stop. If they were sent to a residence for a emergency call and they need that kind of information the address is looked up in the CAD at headquarters to see if there are firearms in the residence.

So to sum up there is no way to get an instant alert that someone has a FID or owns a firearm when you run their registration or DL. In some cases if they can access the in house CAD system from the car and you are a resident they can check but is not the norm because of the time it will take.

In the news paper article it says the new FID card would create a single permit for both handgun and hunting rifle purchases. So that would be the only plus to that.

Are you Sure??? Maybe it means that to buy a rifle or shot gun you will have to wait to get your "permit to purchase" back just like we do now for a handgun.....I find this senario much, much more likely......

Are you Sure??? Maybe it means that to buy a rifle or shot gun you will have to wait to get your "permit to purchase" back just like we do now for a handgun.....I find this senario much, much more likely......

If history is any indicator I would also find the P2P for a long gun scenario the most likely outcome, which would absolutely stink.

http://www.politickernj.com/64790/christie-address-gun-control-issues-friday

LONG BRANCH – Gov. Chris Christie indicated today that he’s prepared to roll out his recommendations on gun control Friday.

The governor declined to answer a question asked by a reporter Thursday during a Long Branch news conference about how he felt about the way federal lawmakers voted earlier this week on a gun control bill in Washington, D.C.

Christie, before quickly moving on to the next question, said he would state his position Friday.

The governor’s office recently indicated Christie would be ready to roll out his recommendations for guns, and what the governor has also described as “violence control,” in the coming days.

The NJ SAFE Task Force recently unveiled its recommendations for the state.

http://www.politicke...l-issues-friday

The governor declined to answer a question asked by a reporter Thursday during a Long Branch news conference about how he felt about the way federal lawmakers voted earlier this week on a gun control bill in Washington, D.C.

I'm (pleasantly) surprised that this didn't make it out of the Senate, and doubly-surprised that that Feinstein's AWB 2.0 went down by an amazing (to me) 40-60 vote.

It will be interesting to hear what Christie says tomorrow. (I think it's a given that the 1966 vintage FPID cards typed out by the detective on a manual typewriter will need to go. But I don't know how a .50 BMG ban might be taken by Republican primary voters in Louisiana, so I have my popcorn ready.)