dman2112

RTSP - Customer Service Concerns

Prediction---on Day 2 after the grand opening of the Woodland Park range or Tip's, someone will post on here about how the employees, prices, rules, facilities, lighting, toilet paper, ambience, lack of free cheezburgers, and lack of bowing and scraping to the almighty customer spending $20 all suck. :)

Prediction---on Day 2 after the grand opening of the Woodland Park range or Tip's, someone will post on here about how the employees, prices, rules, facilities, lighting, toilet paper, ambience, lack of free cheezburgers, and lack of bowing and scraping to the almighty customer spending $20 all suck. :)

agreed, but you have to realize you cant ignore customers. Not saying anything about rtsp. but i think we have all been in the op's shoes going into a gun store and the employees just keep talking to each other and your waiting like an idiot with your id out to look at something. This goes for just about anywhere, it aggravates you when you go in a store and are looking for help and the employees seem to be ignoring the customer. No matter what the business is you need to respect your customers.

agreed, but you have to realize you cant ignore customers. Not saying anything about rtsp. but i think we have all been in the op's shoes going into a gun store and the employees just keep talking to each other and your waiting like an idiot with your id out to look at something. This goes for just about anywhere, it aggravates you when you go in a store and are looking for help and the employees seem to be ignoring the customer. No matter what the business is you need to respect your customers.

Doesnt happen where i go..

Half the problem is the "NJ" attitude.

I disagree. I've run into gun shop attitude in CA, UT, PA, and AL. Condescending sneers while they pretend you're not there, scolding lectures about gun law (frequently based rumor and oral tradition), insulting comments about your choice of weapon, no post-purchase hugs when you do find what you're looking for . . . .

Doesnt happen where i go..

no its not at every store. there are good ones and bad ones. Ive been to ffl's that i will never go back to and others i go to normally. i like meltzers alot, they are somewhat close but they are always friendly when i go in. Then theres been stores i didnt like the staff and wont go back to. You need to choose where you spend your money. There are nj shops that the employees have good attitudes and many of us go to.

I find that very hard to believe. My experience has been they are one of the most professional outfits around, not just outfits that deal with guns either. Every employee wheres a shirt with their name on it so that you know who you are talking to. Almost all address you by name, if they don't know your name its "Can I help you sir or can I help you Ma'am?" If all people acted the way their staff does the world would be a perfect place. Well maybe not, but it would be one heck of a lot better.

Doesnt everyone know proper ettiquette for a buyer walking into a LGS... Just like the soup nazi you must form a single line.. When its your turn you must state what you want.. If they dont have it you will be given a replacement at the stores discretion.. You will pay full asking price immediately..DO NOT ASK FOR AMMO.(they dont have any)..you will then leave and return 14 days later after your instant check is complete..follow above instructions and there wont be a problem

Sarcasm - OFF

Went there around 2 month ago to look at a gun and inquire about the range, it was around noon on a weekday. They were busy, everyone was working with a customer. I hovered around for 5 minutes, nobody acknowledged me so I left. Not saying good... not saying bad... but my overall feeling is I will not go back. Mainly because there are closer shops and ranges for me.

So let's say you had this problem with a staff member, what did you do before you came hear to rag on an organization because of what one person did? Did you seek assistance from another person? Did you go to a supervisor? Did you talk to one of the owners? I have a big problem with anyone that immediately goes to the internet to **** before they take specific actions to resolve an issue. So, please share with us what you did so we don't have to just lump you in as a bitcher.

I was only there once, about two months ago. I found everyone pleasant and courteous but totally overwelmed. There was just too much business and not enough counterspace and employees. I can understand how they can get burned out if they hit this on a daily basis.

Woodland Park is set up much better, with each of the operations separated and plenty of space to take care of the customers. If anything, Anthony has probably helped RTSP by taking some of the load off of them.

This isn't the first time I've heard complaints about how RTSP has treated non-members. While I understand giving members preferential treatment at the RANGE (that's the whole point), they shouldn't have preferential treatment at the retail side. As a matter of fact, a friend of mine has been a member since they first opened, and shoots there ALOT- but hasn't purchased ammo or guns from them. Just range time. And they began to treat him poorly as well.

I have gotten the "tude" from some shop as well an I am far from a newbie. Just to play devil's advocate you have to look at some of the people who come into the shops. I have seen horrendous firearms safety. How many times a day do the shop employees get a gun pointed in their face. Not to mention how many stupid questions they must answer every day. I know this is no excuse for acting like a snooty know it all but it has to be considered when dealing with these people. My advice is to use the same shop frequently and they will get to know you.

I've never had an issue at RTSP. Granted recently they've prob been very overworked but always a positive experience.

I've never caught attitude at Ottomaelli's either. Good nice folks.

I even had two recent good experiences buying reloading supplies at bullet hole. Manny even swapped some recipes with me.

I have tried to be a customer but it just cant happen. On 4 occasions i have gone there and on 3 of them i was treated like a piece of garbage, twice by one of the owners. One time the girl helping me was chewing tobacco and spitting it in a cup while talking to us....

The situation that made me realize i will never go there again is this:

I did a gun deal with a forum member, he took my AR and gave me cash plus a 1911.. I was waiting due to OGAM but because of our schedules we needed to do the deal now... we met at my local business inspected each others guns, traded the cash and the AR then went to RTSP to have them take the handgun in for me and hold it.

I knew i had to pay transfer and NICS, they made me pay up front just over $90. I knew the price was high but hey they were the only local place open that late so i agreed to it. The following week i decided i wanted to sell the 1911 and not complete the transfer. I emailed RTSP and was advised if i sold it locally i could transfer the fees already paid to the new buyer, if i sold it over the internet i would have to pay shipping(which i expected), plus another $70 or so transfer fee... i asked why they couldn't answer me... made no sense to me luckily i sold it locally.

Last time i was there the staff was making fun of a guy shooting in the range because he was new and not a good shot.

I'm glad there is another range opening up of similar quality in NNJ. Hope it teaches RTSP a Lesson!

I will take the extra time and drive to Hackettstown or Red Dot in stanhope as the owners of those businesses know how to treat their customers!

I have held back from saying this for a while, but i have spoken to a number of people all with similar experiences.

RTSP is 5 minutes from my business and 10 minutes from my home and i will drive 35 minutes to go to another range because of the way i was treated.

I have tried to be a customer but it just cant happen. On 4 occasions i have gone there and on 3 of them i was treated like a piece of garbage, twice by one of the owners. One time the girl helping me was chewing tobacco and spitting it in a cup while talking to us....

Nothing like a little dip spit to get a customer in the buying mood...

Wow must've changed a lot there. I had a great time there when it opened up and the service was fantastic.

Cant picture dealing with someone behind the counter spitting out chewing tobacco gunk while answering questions... thats pretty disgusting...

Casos is good but their pricing is high on a lot of handguns. I almost regret spending an extra $150 there just to support a semi local shop.