dman2112

RTSP - Customer Service Concerns

Couple months ago I called to inquire the availability and price of a rifle they had posted on Facebook that they had received. The young girl who answered the phone informed me it was sold already, cutting me off mid sentence. (i get it, they are very busy) when I asked what the price was she got annoyed and said "it's sold, does it matter?"

I told her it did matter because if they ever got any more in I would know what they are charging. I then told her I guess it didn't matter because if that was the type of customer service I would get from them then I wouldn't make the drive to give them my business anyway.

She misunderstood this as me berating her because that's the story she must have told her manager or whatever.

First impressions are everything

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Yikes. Lots if people plus howard here must be on their payroll

Here is what happened so this thread can end.

I am a member

I normally have my own targets. This time I forgot.

In the past when I needed targets, they would give them to me and I would pay for what I used when I checked out and retrieved my membership card

This time I ask for targets. Pierced girl puts them on counter an says nothing. She knows I just asked for a lane. I'm standing their with my thumb up my ass and she just ignores me

I then say "did you assign me a lane"?

She says "you have to pay for your targets first". (Which he never mentioned)

I say "ok, sorry, the procedure must have changed. How much?"

She says "no it's always been that way". Meanwhile she hasn't worked there that long.

I was kind of taken aback but I just said "OK I guess I'm lying". Paid her and went in to shoot.

Maybe I'm unique but I just don't put up with that kind of BS and I have shared both positive and negative experiences on this forum and seem to break a rule if you mention something negative about something.

I guess it's just a Jersey thing.

2 of the 4 times I have been there the owner was the problem. All dressed in his tactical gear treating customers like a$$holes.

I think the problem is at the top and I hope the gun for hire range makes them wake up. Aesthetically the place is nice, the BS attitude of the staff from top to bottom ruins it.

Anyone remember when they were raffling off the chance to get to pay above full retail for a keltec KSG?

To me that speaks volumes.

I am friends with the owners .....

If there is something that needs correcting and the owners aren't totally aware..... This might help a future situation.....

Just trying to help people here and what I think is an excellent range....

I hear you. I really want to like the place. Please pass on what you've read here. Maybe even suggest he comes on here to read some of the negative feedback that's his establishment is receiving.

Yikes. Lots if people plus howard here must be on their payroll......

That is a good one! I wish I was, I wish I could just get an employee discount. I just know a quality operation when I see one, and don't think it is right to tear into any organization online until you have talked to management and given them a chance to take care of your issues. It does not matter what type of organization that is.

I've had the same experiense with them as well. They're close by me so I'll probably do some more business with them in the future as am not big on boycotts. Bullet Hole has always been much friendlier. I prefer to shoot at Cherry Ridge and prefer to buy from Hacketstown Guns and Ammo or Meltzers, or I buy off Gunbroker and have transfered through a local guy. The last two purchases I made through RTSP were both through very annoyed salesmen and it's not like I asked to look at two different guns first. I just bought the first rifle I asked to see. Second time I went the guy lied to me claiming NICS was backed up only two days. After 10 I knew the backlog didn't happen just at my time of purchase. Oh well. They're in a good location and despite a few employees getting under my skin, I'm sure they'll do well. Seems like a lot of their customers are first time buyers and have no idea the value of what they are purchasing or what normal service is like in a gun store lol.

I was only there once and got an attitude from the girl behind the counter when I asked to see one of the pistols. She acted as if I just asked her to change a tire on my car. After looking at it I gave it back to her and before I could ask her a question she walked away! They seen to be no different from most gun shops in NJ. They seem to think that their doing you a favor by letting you buy something from them!

I don't think I can agree with that. I realize you are playing DA, but along that mindset. Me being there as a first time customer and catching that attitude, do you think for one minute I will try to go back and suck them off to get on their good side? Hell no!

Regardless what business you are in, especially any retail business, the nature of the beast is you WILL have those confrontations. You either be properly prepared to deal with it in a professional manner or fooking quit! I would and don't take no crap from anybody. Depending on their level of 'tude, I may try to talk them down and catch some fresh air to collect themselves, but after that, screw'em! They need you... You don't need them. Catch a bad 'tude like the OP here or anyone and expect others to know about it. Remember, when people are happy, in most cases, will not say a freaken thing. Not one ounce of praise. But piss someone off, the world knows about it. Piss off more than a few, like others have experienced here, you have a coo-berating story. You just lost 3 potential customers. Then you have he snow ball affect.

I will not go out of my way to make some retailer happy, especially if the owner is that way too. But before I left that place, I can guarantee you I will make someone cry or their ears bleed. But that's just me.

I have gotten the "tude" from some shop as well an I am far from a newbie. Just to play devil's advocate you have to look at some of the people who come into the shops. I have seen horrendous firearms safety. How many times a day do the shop employees get a gun pointed in their face. Not to mention how many stupid questions they must answer every day. I know this is no excuse for acting like a snooty know it all but it has to be considered when dealing with these people. My advice is to use the same shop frequently and they will get to know you.

Sent from John's iPad 2 via Tapatalk HD

Typos courtesy Apple...

I hear you. I really want to like the place. Please pass on what you've read here. Maybe even suggest he comes on here to read some of the negative feedback that's his establishment is receiving.

I personally don't think it will matter much, however I hope they prove me wrong.

They essentially got a free ride here on the forum, then decided to drop being a vendor without letting anyone know, did not reply to one message I sent to the 4 or 5 accounts they had on here.

Through Troy I find out that indeed they no longer wanted to be a vendor.

I guess it is great being the only game in town.

The story I got, and well, they did not send me an email or a reply still.... is that they were tired of getting people "complaining" about them, so they no longer wanted to support the forum.

I am just glad Anthony's range is now open and will put a large dent into them. It is only when people have a choice, poor businesses will have issues.

Employee with a tongue ring chewing tobacco in front of customers. :rofl: Classy.

I really hope they do start paying attention to customers.

I haven't been shooting at RTSP in awhile. I do stop in to buy stuff once in awhile.

Their service to me has always been good. I've been there when it was swamped and I didn't get helped until I said I wanted to buy something which I can't blame them. If they're busy, I don't expect them to show me the pretty 586 or whatever.

When it's slow, I've had great experience. I've BSed with the owner enough and found him to be polite, even taking his 1911 off of his hip, unloading it, and letting me hold it.

Thing is.. I don't consider them a gun store. They're a range first, and a store second. I'll never buy ammo because they're not the type of store that sells ammo for people to shoot elsewhere.

Unfortunately, NJ is so overpopulated, alot of businesses will continue to get away with poor customer service, simply because there's always another stooge around the corner. And I'm not just talking about ranges. All businesses. It's like PT Barnum said, "there's a sucker born every minute", and there are so many people in this state, it has a higher ratio of suckers.

Unfortunately, NJ is so overpopulated, alot of businesses will continue to get away with poor customer service, simply because there's always another stooge around the corner. And I'm not just talking about ranges. All businesses. It's like PT Barnum said, "there's a sucker born every minute", and there are so many people in this state, it has a higher ratio of suckers.

Absolutely correct. Customer service in most places in this state is poor. Try going to your local CVS sometime; or your large supermarket. Few and far between are the retail stores which place a premium on excellent customer service and respectful behavior from employees.

Well well, Peter here one of the partners at RTSP. We have often sat back and watched the forum go back and forth about our operation and its day to day functionality. That said, for over 30 years no one has stepped up and taken on the challenge of opening a range in NJ, believe me it is not easy. We do not like negative posts, we do not like upset customers. We have and always will strive to be the best we can be.

A few things you should know, the staff at RTSP is for the most part young adults that are familiar with shooting, but are in training in the world of retail. The maturity process is not an easy one and I, Rick and Brad do all that we can to better them as customer friendly representatives as well as customer attentive helpers. We continually try to educate our employees on the best methods of dealing with overwhelming numbers of customers and to treat everyone as if they are special.

Next, we wish nothing but the best of luck and success to Anthony and his operation in Woodland Park, we consider him a friend and as I personally toured his beautiful facility this week, I know that he will be more than prosperous in his new venture.

Last, if any customer! Any forum member! Has an issue with RTSP, I implore you to contact me directly! I am at the range just about every day and I will insure that you get the proper handling and treatment that all of our valued customers deserve.

I personally have given your business 4 tries, three times you failed. One time it was great, brad helped me that time.

I desperately wanted to be a frequent customer of your business as my business is less than 5 minutes away.

I have been treated poorly on two occasions by one of the owners, don't know his name but know he is an owner.

What am I to do, come complain to you about your partner?

A lot of people are saying the same things, hopefully you can fix the problem and get these customers back, I know you are busy but can you ever be too busy?

It is funny really, I have been a public servant for over 20 years. I have been in retail with a business in Montclair for over 10 years and I have found that you can't make everyone happy, but you can insure that they are treated with respect. Find me, talk to me no BS here. Anyone that has dealt with us, and heard our story will understand that this stuff is not easy. We will always strive to do the best we can. If one of my partners wronged a customer, then we man up and make it right. There are no secrets at RTSP just men.

I have only had positive experiences at rtsp, and have no complaints- but I would ask the owners to put themselves in the shoes of their customers. we often hear how hard it is to run a lgs in nj but think of how hard it is to be a gun owner as well. after waiting months for the fid, the p2p, ogam, we walk into the store excited to purchase and are treated like an interruption rather than a valued customer who may be buying the only gun we can buy in a single year. it is no wonder that disappointed customers take out their frustrations on the lgs. it may not be fair but I think it is the reality

I agree, the process sucks, I will pass on to my employees that understanding and try myself to void out the normalcy of the individual purchase and attempt to make each one more special and unique.

See, I have never sold firearms, nor has my partners. We are building a world from the ground up and after only 15 months we are still learning.

As one of your moderators said, we left the forum as a sponsor, not because of the negative diatribe, but because we plainly ran out of time to address all of the posts.

I can say this as I have said it before. Anyone with a problem that comes to the forum before me, has no right to complain! I can and will always do my best to make things right. Some things and some people will never be fixed, but by God I will always try.

Well said Pete it is a rough State to operate in. I consider the guys at RTSP my friends and also friends in the 2A fight. We at GFH will always take the high road and get along. I am sure I will also not please everyone as displayed in other threads regarding my range prices. I am also sure that once we open there will be more detractors. I like Pete and company would also like to hear your concerns first hand and in person. We need more like us in this lousy oppressive State.

Pete, got any ammo? Lol.

Pete I would be glad to call you or send you an email outlining my 4 trips to your business, at this point making another trip there just to share these stories seems like a waste of my time, I have you guys the benifit if the date already 3 times.

Do you have an email address or phone extension?