dman2112

RTSP - Customer Service Concerns

I don't post much here but will chime in for what it's worth. I'm a member at RTSP and was there today as well, in fact I'm there about twice a week. That said I don't consider myself anyone special but always get greeted, usually by name, and have overall had great experiences. In fact, today one of the owners stopped to say hello and show me some very nice high end pistols that just came in even though I was not "shopping". I also watched as they showed other customers their own firearms.

I'm not trying to be a "fan boy" but just trying to give my opinion. My take is theses guys are honest, hard working enthusiasts/new business men that are decent guys that are growing a business and learning the ins and outs of dealing with customers and their needs. There will be good and not as great experiences that I'm sure will get weeded out as time goes.

Anthony

I just took my 23 year old son to RTSP today to go shooting for the first time. As soon as we walked through the doors one of the employees behind the counter shouted out "Hi Howard", you should have seen the look on his face. He said he has never been in any retail business that greeted him that way, even ones that he goes into several times a week.

I have never been to RTSP and hold no opinion about their service or friendliness, but i do want to comment on the thread. I don't agree with the premiss that people have no right to complain in public unless they first address their issues in private with the management of an establishment. I see that posted here several times and I've seen it in other threads and disagree. I think this is a forum of peers and we all have the rights to our opinions and the ability to share them for the benefit of others. If we take issue with our own guns we would post the negative feedback about the gun without first contacting the manufacturer and providing them the opportunity to fix the gun first. Or if we were complaining about how long it takes to get a pistol permit we would post that without first reaching out the mayor of our town to see if he wants to fix it. Or if we were a forum about restaurants and eating out we would expect to be able to post about rude wait staff or bad service without first contacting the manager of the restaurant, etc. etc.

I have never been to RTSP and hold no opinion about their service or friendliness, but i do want to comment on the thread. I don't agree with the premiss that people have no right to complain in public unless they first address their issues in private with the management of an establishment. I see that posted here several times and I've seen it in other threads and disagree. I think this is a forum of peers and we all have the rights to our opinions and the ability to share them for the benefit of others. If we take issue with our own guns we would post the negative feedback about the gun without first contacting the manufacturer and providing them the opportunity to fix the gun first. Or if we were complaining about how long it takes to get a pistol permit we would post that without first reaching out the mayor of our town to see if he wants to fix it. Or if we were a forum about restaurants and eating out we would expect to be able to post about rude wait staff or bad service without first contacting the manager of the restaurant, etc. etc.

I disagree completely. If I have a problem with a gun I'm going to talk to the manufacturer first, and if they cannot fix it, I may go public. I also think it's absurd to complain on the internet about bad wait staff or service before talking to a manager or someone who can actually address the issue.

Though I respect your opinion we are not a government entity, nor a large gun manufacturer, we are here and approachable. We do not in any way dissuade any one from posting on our business practices ( good or bad) just have the common courtesy to reach out in person after you hit "send".

I disagree completely. If I have a problem with a gun I'm going to talk to the manufacturer first, and if they cannot fix it, I may go public. I also think it's absurd to complain on the internet about bad wait staff or service before talking to a manager or someone who can actually address the issue.

Why wouldnt you share it with us if you had a gun bad from the factory?? Yes call the manufacturer so they can remedy the situation, and let us know that they made things right. But the FACT is that you had an issue with a gun from the factory, nothing wrong with sharing that issue with your peers.

Same thing with the situation that was posted. Obviously an owner would want you to contact them prior to leaving bad feedback, but it SHOULD NOT be that way. If you had a bad experience, POST IT. Sure contacting the owner is great, and he/she MAY MAKE (or try to) THINGS RIGHT, but the FACT was that there WAS AND ISSUE THERE THAT HAD TO BE ADDRESSED. No excuse for an employee spitting tobacco out at the counter. Give me a BREAK!

Yikes. Lots if people plus howard here must be on their payroll

Here is what happened so this thread can end.

I am a member

I normally have my own targets. This time I forgot.

In the past when I needed targets, they would give them to me and I would pay for what I used when I checked out and retrieved my membership card

This time I ask for targets. Pierced girl puts them on counter an says nothing. She knows I just asked for a lane. I'm standing their with my thumb up my ass and she just ignores me

I then say "did you assign me a lane"?

She says "you have to pay for your targets first". (Which he never mentioned)

I say "ok, sorry, the procedure must have changed. How much?"

She says "no it's always been that way". Meanwhile she hasn't worked there that long.

I was kind of taken aback but I just said "OK I guess I'm lying". Paid her and went in to shoot.

Maybe I'm unique but I just don't put up with that kind of BS and I have shared both positive and negative experiences on this forum and seem to break a rule if you mention something negative about something.

I guess it's just a Jersey thing.

The target thing has been a policy since day 1... they would sell you a few and send you on your way.

Complaining about the government is a totally different issue, you know you can't fight city hall :)

Complaining about your S&W or Ford or LG is a toss up. Yea they are big companies and maybe all you can do is complain.

Complaining online about a local merchant, be they a gun range, a food establishment, a clothing store, etc... Well in my mind that is a totally different story. You can easily reach out to a manager or owner of one of these establishments and work to fix the issue. Sure if you can't fix it then blast away - but its only fair to give them a shot at correcting what-ever you feel is wrong before you attack them on the web - which is there forever. Think about how you would feel if the shoe were on the other foot. Maybe I can appreciate this more than some since I owned a retail establishment for a dozen years. No small business wants to do things against their customers, and many don't even know that you have a problem with their service. Often times the first they hear about it is when they get trashed on the internet. Its just common courtesy to bring your issue to them first.

I personally believe that the internet and the anonymity it offers has contributed to growing cadre of faceless complainers. If I have an issue with a business of any sort, I seek out whoever is in charge and lodge a complaint.....politely,succinctly and as discreetly as I can as I've been on the other side of that conversation many a time and appreciate the opportunity to make it right or at the very least..... listen.Sometimes all a person wants is someone to listen when they feel slighted.

Now if the valid complaint, and let's not kid ourselves here...we all know if the complaint is valid or if we're just being Dicks.is met with disdain or disbelief then you have every right to shout it from the roof tops.

To not offer a business the opportunity to first make it right before anonymously skewering them on some forum is just not good form IMHO.

I personally believe that the internet and the anonymity it offers has contributed to growing cadre of faceless complainers. If I have an issue with a business of any sort, I seek out whoever is in charge and lodge a complaint.....politely,succinctly and as discreetly as I can as I've been on the other side of that conversation many a time and appreciate the opportunity to make it right or at the very least..... listen.Sometimes all a person wants is someone to listen when they feel slighted.

Now if the valid complaint, and let's not kid ourselves here...we all know if the complaint is valid or if we're just being Dicks.is met with disdain or disbelief then you have every right to shout it from the roof tops.

To not offer a business the opportunity to first make it right before anonymously skewering them on some forum is just not good form IMHO.

Except for the most part.... this is not yelp... but people who actually know each other.

But in all seriousness, before the internet, same thing happened... except the reach was not as bad and bad stories did not come out AS quickly.

Any business is free to come here to respond to concerns.

Attention Members and range shooters! RTSP will be closing the range portion of our facility for general repairs and maintenance on Tuesday April 16th. The store will be open all day for gun sales and pickups. We hope to open the range portion if the work goes quickly, so keep checking facebook or the website for updates!

I think the whole reason for the forum is to share each others personal experiences with an establishment, good or bad. The fact is most people don't post or write a letter about good experiences usually just the bad ones. The fact is since they've opened people have complained about their attitudes. If 10 people posted bad experiences with what would it matter if each post went into detail about how the owner did or did not rectify the situation. After that many people complain about the same thing I don't care what the owner did because obviously the problem still exist so I would choose another establishment to shop. Most problems with staff attitudes come from the top down. If their still having the same problems 16 months later than either that's the normal attitude of the management or they seriously lack customer training.

I feel I'm remiss for not weighing in sooner on this. I have been a member at RTSP since they opened, and I love the place! My experiences there have been almost completely positive. Yes, I'm fortunate that I can mostly get there during the week, but when I've gone on weekend mornings, I've been able to get a port in less than an hour. The afternoons seem to get a lot worse.

I have found the staff there to be mostly polite and helpful. If I were going to offer any criticism, it would be that they sometimes seem to be overwhelmed by the sheer number of customers, and they are not good at multi-tasking, although that may be inherent in the nature of the firearms business.

The new GFH range in WP should take some of the pressure off them, while still leaving them with an abundance of business. I would guess that RTSP will retain most of the customers from Morris County and west, while GFH/WPR will attract the Bergen/Passaic crowd.

Interesting that as RTSP was opening, they were blasted for their high prices by many on this board. In comparison with GFH/WPR, they look like a bargain. But that's the beauty of capitalism, that we have choices depending on what we want to spend.

As a guy smack dab in the middle of his twenties I appreciate seeing younger staff at stores. I stopped in there today first time for me and the three guys working at the time seemed knowledgable and friendly. The guy helping me was courteous and helpful, the guy I overheard organizing a mixed group of new and returning rental shooter was super nice and patient and this other guy was dealing with people nicely too. I pay attention to everyone when im in stores (I am a compulsive people watcher). They had an awesome selection I almost couldn't tell we were in a drought when I was there. I am looking forward to going back with my p2ps or cash to deposit. only negative i got was only members can "layaway" reserve a gun which is a bummer because there were a couple that I wanted to put down for.

I say give another clerk a shot because with a store that has a stock like that its worth a second shot.

My two cents.

I have never been to RTSP, but I have to agree that the OP has every right to post on here if he feels their customer service is not good, especially if he's experienced it on more than one occasion. I would like to think that if it were a situation like a defective item you would give them an opportunity to correct the situation before flaming them on here but if any business doesn't want a reputation for poor customer service then they need to make sure the employees know how to treat customers. Rudeness or poor customer service is unacceptable weather it's a gun shop, bar, convenience store or any other business.

I can't say how remiss we have been for not being more active with the forum over the past few months. Honestly, this whole gun business has been overwhelming to say the least.

I agree that posts about poor business practices should be heard, I likewise agree that as a consumer we all should look for businesses that are supportive to our needs and respect that we, the customer, are spending our hard earned money and deserve a good experience in the process.

That said, if you have ever owned a retail business, you must know that employees for the most part are transient at best. Now, our current staff as of today, is completely different then when we started even 8 months ago. We have noticed some short comings in some areas and made changes. By saying that they are a direct result of the ownership only show that your understanding of this type of business is lacking, all due respect.

If you walk in to purchase a firearm in NJ, there may be 3 or 4 people on the floor. To you this looks like a win fall of customer attendants. Well not really, see every time I hire an employee, they must go through a 2 to 3 month background process by the state police before they can, not only touch a firearm, but even handle ammo! To make matters worse, if their background is not cleared after paying them, training them etc.. We have to let them go and start over again. A little different them hiring for Bugger King.

What does all this mean, well not a whole hill of sh.. Really, cause "pink" carded or not, I expect my employees to address every customer with open arms and well wishes.

Attitudes have been adjusted even before this topic came up. See you are not the only ones that watch what happens in the store, myself, Rick and Brad are constantly talking about how to make this business better.

I feel that with the forums help, with consistent constructive criticism and repeated acknowledgement of the good and bad, RTSP can continue to preform above the standards of any facility in NJ.

I think the correlations here are those whose experiences are when the range is not filled to capacity on a weekend or after 5 pm weekday versus those that go weekdays when most of general public is working

And such is the situation with all retail

Any business that can keep all customers happy at prime time is rare... Because basically we humans hate to wait when we are paying high prices

I wish we could plot the likes vs dislikes of this thread by when you were there and how busy it was

Retail is retail whether it's guns or shoes

I think the place is great and can't blame them for the long lines. It's a sign of their success and good for them. I've had positive experiences there. They only thing I've said is membership turned out to not be a good investment for me. The first year I never waited more than 30 mins. Since I've renewed in October I've only gotten on the range a couple times because of the very long waits. I don't blame RTSP for this. It's just my schedule that allows me to go only at peak time--thus I don't go anymore.

When I'm there people are nice and the newer staff doesn't even know me. The other folks that have been there longer do and great me by name. The RO Marc (sp?) is a terrific guy and very helpful.

If you can get there at the right time or can wait during peak time whats not to like about the place?

For what it's worth I've had a fantastic experience everytime I've shot here, and I'm not even a member. Brad always takes a few minutes to shoot the shit with me if he's able to, and again... I'm not even a member!

I've been there once and it was a positive experience. There was a line but that's no different then any other public range at times.

I did however get to speak with one of the owners regarding some higher end 1911's. his name escapes me but he was very cool and professional guy.

Well I might as well chime in here if feedback is what you're looking for.

I've visited RTSP a total of 2.5 times (I'll explain the .5 later).

I first visited the range shortly after I acquired my first firearm in May of 2012. I had purchased a PPQ and was excited to have a chance to finally shoot it. I was (and still consider myself) amateur and wasn't really sure what to expect. I had never been to a range before so I was also a bit anxious. I looked at range offerings in the state and saw that RTSP was rather new. I had heard that they had a modern range with good lighting, ports, and ventilation. I consequently decided to take the trip (it's about an hour drive for me).

When I arrived, the place was pretty empty since it was an afternoon in the middle of the week. There was one or two other guys in the range and maybe someone looking around the shop. I approached a woman at the counter who asked if I needed any help. I was very open and told her that I had never been to a range before and only recently got my first gun. She was very helpful and understanding. I was told the basic procedure for signing up and filled out the appropriate paperwork. I was also offered to spend an extra couple bucks to have the RO demonstrate the basics of the firearm and answer any questions I had. I had mixed feelings about this since I had already taken Gun For Hire's NRA First Step class, but I decided to go for it. The RO was very friendly and he had took a genuine interest in the PPQ I brought, stating that he had one (or was getting one soon, I forget which). I shot for around 40 minutes and was ready to leave. I exited the range, paid, and went home.

When I was filling up on gas on the way back, I had noticed as I went to pay that I had forgot my driver's license at the range. I had called to confirm it was there and went back to pick it up (thus the .5). One thing I did find rather annoying was the phone answering system. I found the phrasing to be a bit vague and there is no mentioned prompt telling me how to get a live person at the counter. I ended up hitting 0, which got me someone.

The second time I went was about a week ago. I had dropped by to follow-up with a post RTSP put up on their FB about 15 round magazines. I called to see if they were in stock and I was informed they were. I drove the hour or so to RTSP where I immediately noticed it was busy. There were probably about 9 patrons and a group of tourists of Asian decent looking to rent some guns. I've been on the other side of the counter and I know how frustrating it can be dealing with foreign tourists. Throw guns into the mix and I can imagine how much more difficult it becomes. Despite this, the gentleman dealing with them kept his cool and remained professional. Even though he very clearly had a lot on his plate at the time, he still asked if I needed help with anything. I answered telling him I was just looking.

I looked around a bit for the mags to no avail. It was at this point that another gentleman behind the counter asked if I needed help with anything. I asked if they were indeed a Dan Wesson dealer since I've been looking into getting a 1911 at some point in the future. He said yes, but with the market being the way it is, there was no way to guarantee stock. I then asked about the mags, and he informed me they had sold out of them. When I was looking around the store in the minutes prior, I had noted that there were several 10 round mags hanging on the wall, so I asked if they were limiting the amount of those mags that I could buy. He said no, so I grabbed 3 and waited to be rung up.

At this point, the gentleman from before was still dealing with the tourists, still remaining professional. I was approached by a woman who asked if I needed help, and she promptly rung me up and I was on my way.

So the tl;dr is that I've never had a problem with RTSP. I haven't observed anyone being rude to myself or others, and every time I was there (both when it was and was not busy) I was greeted by numerous employees, all offering assistance.

All the feedback is welcomed and appreciated, as far as the phones ( when in doubt? Hit Zero! Lol). Glad it worked out for you. The license thing is tricky, sorry for you inconvenience, the signs are posted around the store not to forget your DL's, but some do miss them.

I have been a member of RTSP since day one and my experience with then have always been outstanding; Brad, Peter and Rick have always been very pleasant to deal with.

I work at another gun store and lately you guys know how busy a gun store can get, if the owners are available I’ll talk to them, but if they are busy and I have decided to talk to them then I’ll take that chance and wait for them, personally don’t like to talk to anyone else but that’s my preference.

The only time I have dealt with their employees is when I want to "look" the new guns; otherwise I leave them alone since they are always busy helping the many customer the store attracts. On a personal note, they have never been rude or disrespectful to me in any sense of the way whatsoever.

I've been a member at RTSP for almost a year now and I've only had positive experiences there. My only complaint would be that even with a membership you experience a 20-30 minute wait time after 5pm, but that should be addressed once they open the additional planned ports. Every staff member I've dealt with has been great and I feel they genuinely do try to be as helpful as possible. I've witnessed their extreme patience dealing with people who are obviously very new shooters so I guess you just caught them on really bad days or talked to someone I've never dealt with.

And I've seen the chick that was dipping before, but not in months. I have to admit that when I saw her spit dip into that cup of hers I was kind of like wtf? Not something I'd expect at any retail business even if it is a gun shop.

Will I renew my membership? I'm not sure, but that's no fault of RTSP. The membership has probably paid for itself just in ammo costs (before I was buying online) and visits, but I don't know if shooting 1-2 times a month warrants a membership anywhere.

I will be stopping by in the next few days to purchase a new handgun and I'm sure they'll be as helpful as always.