Sign in to follow this  
munchie

Wondering if I will get denied a FPID

Hi All,

I posted this in the introductions but was suggested to also post it here.

I'm from Somerset county and I want to apply for a FPID but I'm wondering if I would get denied due to two things. One is that I got arrested for some pot when I was 18 and I have a misdemeanor charge on my record for it. Another one is that I got a DUI over 4 years ago. I stopped smoking pot many years ago and I do not use or have any drug problems. I do drink occasionally but I'm not an alcoholic. I am now 33, married with my first kid on the way. I'm not a bad guy, just made some stupid mistakes in the past. Do you think I will get denied due to those two things I mentioned? I've read that some people got denied for DUIs and I've also read that some people got approved even with DUIs. Is it true that misdemeanors in NJ count as disorderly persons offense? Some people I talked to are telling me to just apply for it and see what happens. Some people are telling me to expunge the misdemeanor charge from my record then apply for it but what about the DUI? Help! lol

I agree. At the end of the day, it will be up to the Chief of police in your town. Go through the process and let the chips fall where they may. Then make sure you get the DP charge expunged. You can do it yourself if you don't want to pay the money for an attorney but you best get a legal opinion at the very least.

The DUI may not be as big a deal as you think. I am by no means an authority but have read about many members that had previous problems such as yours and were approved. Good luck!

I have a DUI from a decade ago. it did not prevent me from getting my FID about 5 years later.. So while it's not a deal breaker, essentially it's up to the chief's discretion. This means unfortunately there isnt a definite yes or no answer as to whether you'd get denied or not.

Does anyone know a good lawyer they can recommend?

http://www.nj-expungement.com/

Used them with good results. Fast, affordable and they got the job done w/o needing to go to their office or the courts. Took about 3 months.

Edit: Your total cost should be about $630.00

Edited by Nikos

May be a long shot but are you friendly with your police chief?? I'm suggesting this not knowing of you live in a small town, etc etc. Like everyone was saying, its purely discretionary. Post up your location, maybe someone from your area can chime in about their experiences with your department. Good Luck!

The DUI is technically a traffic violation in NJ so you don't need to list that on the form. I didn't and still got my latest P2P a few months ago. The pot arrest is a different story. If you get the FID, I would save the money and pass on the expungement. If you get denied, time to hire the lawyer.

Good luck and hope to see a post you have an FID soon.

One thing to keep in mind, if you try first without getting the DP charge expunged and you end up getting denied, you will have to answer "yes" to question 27 ( have you ever been denied before) in the future.. I agree maybe you should look into the "do it yourself" expungement to keep the cost down.

And the above poster is correct in the fact that DUI is NOT considered a criminal offense in NJ but rather a motor vehicle offense.

Good luck...