BossyMossy

Your First 9

Check out the fns 9mm. I'm waiting to pick it up should be this week. But I'm very excited for it. It's more comfortable than the g19 and 92fs. I loved the glock19 but my thumb doesn't reach the mag release without movng my grip. The fns I can reach no problem and seems great in the hand.

Not in your current list of option but I went full size M&P 9. It just felt great in the hand and was able to get it for a good price.

Only negative I have is the inability to find mags. That will definitely be a consideration for me on future purchases.

Best of luck with the purchase!

my first, bought abot a month ago, is a CZ 75B Stainless.. everything i researched on it said it was one of the most comfortable guns around, and the recoil is minimal (very heavy)..Plus, i loved the stainless look.. and it is so very very comfortable in the hand, and the recoil is minimal as i read..

The Beretta 92fs Inox was probably second on my list..

My first 9mm was a Springfield XD9. Great gun did an aftermarket trigger job to it, and it is now an amazing gun. Everyone who has shot it, loves it.

I picked up a Beretta M9 a few months ago, great gun right out of the box.

I've told my story before but my first firearm was a Sig Sauer P250 compact 9 mm which I bought after doing much research and firing many guns to only be proved a fool.

I chose the gun thinking that it was firstly a Sig and came with all the attributes associated with the brand.Light weight,double action trigger so safe in any hand.ability to change platforms,calibers and size without having to apply for more P2P's and price, which was quite reasonable for a gun I was only going to keep in a drawer unless my home is violated.......

Several problems.

The wife found it difficult to rack the slide so she hated it.

The light weight produced muzzle flip, so groups was not the tightest.

DA trigger sucked.

Conversion kits and mags was practically non existent and astronomically priced when available.

...and the final fatal feature was that when I purchased it I didn't realize I would be hooked on the shooting sports and a orphan DA,light weight,long triggered bargain Sig was not going to cut it.

and that's my first 9.

My best 9 however is the CZ 75B.

So, looks like most went with the Glock and Beretta... A coupe M&P's in there too.. Is the Sig price just turning people off? Also, as for the CZ.. can't find them anywhere but Gunbroker, and would rather just be able to walk to the Local Shop tomorrow and make my purchase.

I think i'm leaning Glock.. but I guess i'll have to wait tomorrow til i tell you guys what i go with. It might really end up with what's actually available.. due to the current climate in the gun world and everybody buying anything they can get their hands on...

honestly the only common thing for all of those handguns is 9mm caliber. you really should try them out beford making a purchase. the grip, the weight, sight picture and the other all are important factors that depend on the individual.

hold them, feel them, shoot them ...

My first and only handgun is a Ruger SR9. I did a ton of research online and held a few guns before I decided. Before that I didn't know anything about handguns except for Glocks and I really didn't take to them once I held one. When I held the SR9 I knew I wanted it. I have had it a few years and it has been flawless. Not one bad round through it. Since then, I have come around to Glocks lately and will probably make a G23 my next purchase if I don't do an AR build first.

14 years ago I bought a Glock 19 first gun on my own first 9mm still have it never sell it, I bought it cause it was cheap and cops use them

Same here. Bought it for reliability and simple operation. When you need it, you don't want to have to think about the gun.

My first 9mm was a Glock G22 - yes this is not a typo. I bought a .40 cal G22 and then got a KKM conversion barrel to let me should 9mm from it in addition to .40 cal. You effectively get two guns in one. Its very nice to have this option as 9mm is very hard to come by these days in some places. Took my son shooting with it yesterday and he was amazed that I could change it from one barrel to the other in about 30 seconds. You should get a 9mm magazine to go with it as well. I also bought a G17 recoil spring and have yet to have any failures of any sort with it.

My first was a S&W M&P 9. The ergonomics are awesome and it's made in USA (lifetime warranty), it is my "go to" gun. It has a custom trigger, Trijicon HD sights and Talon grips. If you're considering a polymer handgun, I would check it out as an option.

My first 9mm was a Glock G22 - yes this is not a typo. I bought a .40 cal G22 and then got a KKM conversion barrel to let me should 9mm from it in addition to .40 cal. You effectively get two guns in one. Its very nice to have this option as 9mm is very hard to come by these days in some places. Took my son shooting with it yesterday and he was amazed that I could change it from one barrel to the other in about 30 seconds. You should get a 9mm magazine to go with it as well. I also bought a G17 recoil spring and have yet to have any failures of any sort with it.

Way to go. G22 g4 or G23 g4, 9mm aftermarket barrel and 3 9mm mags. Two guns in one. Build from there. Customized as you want. Plenty aftermarket items. Look for 22LR upper, now you have 3 guns in one.

I was never a big Glock fan till my son came home with a G21g4. Now I'm a believer. It's pluses ouotweight the minuses. A good holster and let the games begin.

My first 9mm (and first gun) was the Sig P226R. Wish I'd waited to get one with the night sights from the factory, but I still love it (and I can always add them later, though it'll cost more than if I'd just waited). I went directly from the police department to the store, said lemme see that one, OK, I'll take it. I miss the days of walking into the store, presenting my IDs and P2P, and walking out less than 45 minutes later with a lighter wallet and a new shooter...

Honestly, you cannot go wrong with any of the four you mentioned. I've got the Glock 23 (same size as the 19, IIRC), and enjoy shooting that as well. I've shot the P229 and will eventually add one to my collection. And I've got friends with the 92FS/M9 and do enjoy shooting them. Fondle all of them and see what feels most natural to you. Some people can't stand the Glock grip angle, or you may not like the weight of the 92.

One other to consider, the Sig Pro 2022 in 9mm. Polymer frame, stainless slide, Sig quality for Glock price. It is my other 9mm. Someone just posted a question about the .40 version, and a lot of us chimed in with our opinions on our 9mm versions.

Whatever you get, good luck with it. And get a Sig ;)

One thing is for sure. Take your time, as hard as that is, and find the guns you are considering and shoot them or at least hold them. I am engaged in that process right now and have shot (at a range that rents) or held (at gun shows and dealers) 10 different guns. While my lack of expertise shooting may not make me the best source for info on them, I can tell you I like the weight of a metal gun vs. polymer, I like a narrow-medium grip vs. wide and I like the ergos on some guns way better than others. Triggers smooth out over time but range guns have a lot of rounds thru them so they are a valid test of that, and if a gun triggers nicely new, it's only going to get better. Some sights seem to fall into place nicer than others and some guns just point better for me.

I'm learning a lot and loving it. You will too. Whatever your choice, go after that particular gun. There are a lot of sources out there even for the hardest to find guns. In general, dealers and owners and places like this will eventually steer you onto the one you choose or at least a really close clone. Have fun with the process.