BossyMossy

Your First 9

My first was a Ruger P85 .I still have it. Nice gun, a little heavy, but so far my favorite 9 is my Sig 2022. Very accurate, night sights, almost Identical in size as the 229. Magazines were easy to find before the gun craze started and they weren't that expensive.

For me it was the Beretta 92FS.

I made Sergeant First Class in the National Guard and my friends chipped in and bought me custom grips for my M9. After that, I had to buy a Beretta 92FS. So basically a free set of grips cost me $800 and thousands of dollars in ammunition over the years. But it was worth it.

25zj6z4.jpg

My first was a Ruger P85 .I still have it. Nice gun, a little heavy, but so far my favorite 9 is my Sig 2022. Very accurate, night sights, almost Identical in size as the 229. Magazines were easy to find before the gun craze started and they weren't that expensive.

Just sold my P85...did run great but was a bit of a biggin for 9mm though..now onto Glocks an FNX

I got a ruger p89 mostly because the price was right. I was still in college. I've had it for almost 17 years and its never had a single issue after what has to be 10 or 20 thousand rounds. I've never changed any part of it or done anything other than clean it.

Guys,

Thanks so much for all the responses. And...*Drumroll*...the winner is:

Sig P229.. I picked her up and could not put her down. She just feels so nice.

Now, what type of ammo do you guys like shooting for target? I know the choices are very very limited. For example, take a look below and let me know what you would choose out of what is ACTUALLY AVAILABLE:

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ItemListing.aspx?catid=736

What did you pick and why? I'm going to be purchasing my first 9 mm tomorrow and would like to know what decisions others have made, and why. I'm currently torn between the Glock 19, Sig p226 or p229, or the Beretta 92fs.

I chose a G19 after trying out several 9MMs one day down at Shore Shot. I am very happy with my choice and have over 3,000 rounds through it during various scenarios and classes, target, defensive pistol, concealment, defensive carbine and sidearm, etc. Here are some articles on the Glock 19 for your reading pleasure...

Why I Chose a Glock 19 for Concealed Carry http://cdn2.cheapert...m/blog/?p=19597

The Gen4 Glock 19 http://cdn2.cheaperthandirt.com/blog/?p=6711

Glock Gen4, Improving on Perfection http://cdn2.cheapert...m/blog/?p=38149

Setting up a Glock for Concealed Carry http://cdn2.cheapert...m/blog/?p=20073

Haters Gonna Hate, but GLOCK's Live On http://cdn2.cheapert...m/blog/?p=38248

Glock FAQs http://cdn2.cheapert...log/?page_id=99

Guys,

Now, what type of ammo do you guys like shooting for target? I know the choices are very very limited. For example, take a look below and let me know what you would choose out of what is ACTUALLY AVAILABLE:

http://www.cheaperth....aspx?catid=736

I reload my own but componants are hard to find. I shoot 115gr FMJ for targets but with the current price of ammo, whatever I can get at the best price I can find!!!

My first was a Beretta 92FS. I know I lot of people like them and its a great gun them but I hated it. Now have a Glock 17 that I love. Bottom line your not gonna know what you like until you live with it for a while... for what it's worth I was a Glock hater but have since seen the light.

Walther PPQ (Gen1). I needed something ambidextrous and it fit the bill beautifully. I love the pistol, but I'm having a rough time with the magazine situation.

cwkHi.jpg

Nice pistol!

I am thinking about getting one...

My first 9 was an M&P 9c that I bought on a whim but I like, and my gf wound up loving.

Second was an HK P30l that I picked up recently and LOVE.

I am picking up a Glock 23 in 2 weeks and I have ordered the 9mm conversion barrel for. Have a sub2k that takes the g19 mags so I'm good to go.

In fact, it was my first semi auto since my Walther PPK 40 years previously. I had Shore Shot order me a Glock 19 while I submitted my first NJ handgun permit. My permit arrived 2 months later (that was back around 2001, and drove to Shore Shot all excited. I have never owned a polymer or striker fired gun before. When I got there I saw a beautiful Browning HiPower Practical with the wrap around grips and Chromed Slide. I had to have it and after holding that plastic block and then the HiPower I asked if I could take the HiPower instead. They said yes as the Glocks sold well and they would not get stuck with it. However, the first time I shot it I got hammer bite and every time thereafter unless I checked my grip before each shot. I had to wear a bandaid every time I shot it so I stopped shooting it and bought a CZ 75B and that is the gun I competed with for many year. Good gun at a good price.

My current favorite 9mm is an HK P2000SK.

Nice pistol!

I am thinking about getting one...

My first 9 was an M&P 9c that I bought on a whim but I like, and my gf wound up loving.

Second was an HK P30l that I picked up recently and LOVE.

I am picking up a Glock 23 in 2 weeks and I have ordered the 9mm conversion barrel for. Have a sub2k that takes the g19 mags so I'm good to go.

A lot of people seem to like that the new version of the PPQ uses a button mag release. If I'm being honest, I wouldn't have bought the PPQ if it only had the button release and would have gone with the P30 instead.

I picked up my first pistol last week from Rich at OMG in Bayonne. It's a CZ Sp-01 and its exactly what I wanted. The way it feels in my hand is awesome it's all metal and heavy but that's how I want it because its only a range gun. Well my plan is to go to the range today and fire it for the first time hopefully work does not call me in.

I picked up my first pistol last week from Rich at OMG in Bayonne. It's a CZ Sp-01 and its exactly what I wanted. The way it feels in my hand is awesome it's all metal and heavy but that's how I want it because its only a range gun. Well my plan is to go to the range today and fire it for the first time hopefully work does not call me in.

Redrum,

Congratulations! I am looking for a CZ SP-01 as my second purchase but have not been able to find a full size (4.6 barrel). I don't want to go the Gunbroker route unless I have to. If I don't find one soon, I will opt for the 75B in Black.

Enjoy your new companion and break it in soon..............

TR20,

I actually found it on Gunbroker a few months ago. A ffl from upstate NY who works out of his house and is currently building a store front had ordered it 1 1/2 years ago for a customer. The guy that he had ordered it for just bought a Kimberly 2 weeks before the Cz came in so the dealer did not have the heart to tell him. He also did not have the time to wait six months to get paid because he needed the money for his store. So he sold it to me at a very fair price before anybody had bid on it. I guess you could say I had gotten lucky.

TR20,

I actually found it on Gunbroker a few months ago. A ffl from upstate NY who works out of his house and is currently building a store front had ordered it 1 1/2 years ago for a customer. The guy that he had ordered it for just bought a Kimberly 2 weeks before the Cz came in so the dealer did not have the heart to tell him. He also did not have the time to wait six months to get paid because he needed the money for his store. So he sold it to me at a very fair price before anybody had bid on it. I guess you could say I had gotten lucky.

Redrum,

Good for you! It looks like you got very, very lucky!

CZ's are available but if the buyer has their heart set on a specific model, they become hard to get. The problems I have run into include, but are not limited to:

• Price
  • Shipping (due to our 15 round mag limit).
  • Timing (just missed a few by a matter of hours!)
  • CZ stock levels are low all around the country

Please give us an update after you come back from your trip to the range!