Jon

News regarding PA CCW reciprocity

As it stands right now since PA no longer honors Utah the only state that you gain with the Utah is Washington state. Florida gives you New Mexico. If you have both and don't travel to Washington State or plan to. May as well not even renew Utah. Just keep Florida. Just my opinion. My brother lives in Texas maybe i'll take a long weekend and pay him a visit. And take the Texas CCW class while I'm there.

As it stands right now since PA no longer honors Utah the only state that you gain with the Utah is Washington state. Florida gives you New Mexico. If you have both and don't travel to Washington State or plan to. May as well not even renew Utah. Just keep Florida.

You get Minnesota with Utah which you don't get with FL.  I got it because I go fishing in boundary waters. 

As it stands right now since PA no longer honors Utah the only state that you gain with the Utah is Washington state. Florida gives you New Mexico. If you have both and don't travel to Washington State or plan to. May as well not even renew Utah. Just keep Florida. Just my opinion. My brother lives in Texas maybe i'll take a long weekend and pay him a visit. And take the Texas CCW class while I'm there.

But Utah is only $15 to renew. I plan on renewing mine.

so can i still have a firearm, whether it be long or handgun inside the car in pa? not in the trunk  locked up

Not any more with UT.   PA lets you carry in the car with any state's permit...as long as that state has similar licensing requirements to PA.   Since the AG has decided that UT does not have similar requirements to PA, you can no longer carry in the car with UT.

so can i still have a firearm, whether it be long or handgun inside the car in pa? not in the trunk locked up

I believe the answer is no without a recognized permit... Even residents cannot without the easily obtainable "ltcf".... Without that the transportation laws are similar to nj....for both residents and non residents alike .... Delaware however is different... You can as long as the pistol is "in plain view" .. State Recommended places -passenger seat/dash...

Lol mg beat me to it

I'll keep all the ones I applied for  UT,FL, AZ, (assuming UT and AZ are granted - FL was, so I can't see why not for the other two).  I probably won't apply for any others... maybe Texas, if it appears the AG may not touch that one (but I assume she will, once the pro-2A folks start going for it). Of course, I will apply as a "resident" (or convert from non-resident to resident) in the state of my eventual destination (upon leaving NJ).

I was going to take the class for my Utah CCW... I guess I'll just save the $200 and buy ammo with it and stick to my Florida permit for now.

It depends, I guess, on what other states you need. If you need Washington State, for example. Besides, UT is a lot cheaper than FL (non res: $51.00 vs $112.00 initially... not sure of renewal fees).  Then again, FL last 7 years as opposed to UT's 5.

It's probably good to keep a few permits active, in case there are some other reciprocity disputes elsewhere.

It depends, I guess, on what other states you need. If you need Washington State, for example. Besides, UT is a lot cheaper than FL (non res: $51.00 vs $112.00 initially... not sure of renewal fees).  Then again, FL last 7 years as opposed to UT's 5.

It's probably good to keep a few permits active, in case there are some other reciprocity disputes elsewhere.

I already have Florida, not planning on travaling to Washington State.  The company I used to work for has an office there so I could have seen myself going there then, no real chance of it now.

WHat is the training requirement for Texas?  Seems like you can apply online lol.

I already have Florida, not planning on travaling to Washington State.  The company I used to work for has an office there so I could have seen myself going there then, no real chance of it now.

WHat is the training requirement for Texas?  Seems like you can apply online lol.

The only thing I know about it is that you have to take the initial training class for it in Texas.  It's 6 hours, and includes a  50 question written exam and a 50 round live fire portion.  I'm not sure if you have to BYOG or not, but I'd imagine so. Meaning, you now have to go through all the TSA crap to get it on the aircraft, etc.

Not any more with UT.   PA lets you carry in the car with any state's permit...as long as that state has similar licensing requirements to PA.   Since the AG has decided that UT does not have similar requirements to PA, you can no longer carry in the car with UT.

wrong 

Pa.C.S. § 6106(b)(11), which provides:
Any person while carrying a firearm in any vehicle, which person possesses a valid and lawfully issued license for that firearm which has been issued under the laws of the United States or any other state.

I believe the answer is no without a recognized permit... Even residents cannot without the easily obtainable "ltcf".... Without that the transportation laws are similar to nj....for both residents and non residents alike .... Delaware however is different... You can as long as the pistol is "in plain view" .. State Recommended places -passenger seat/dash...

Lol mg beat me to it

wrong 

Any person while carrying a firearm in any vehicle, which person possesses a valid and lawfully issued license for that firearm which has been issued under the laws of the United States or any other state.

basically guys if you have a valid carry permit from any state you can carry a loaded gun in your car in PA, this license does not need to be recognized by PA for vehicle carry just needs to be valid from any state 

so Utah, Florida, Arizona and so on are still good to keep a loaded gun in your car when in PA, none will let you conceal carry or carry in Philadelphia however, so oc and stay out of Philly when you exit your car and you have your firearm on your body, if entering and exiting the vehicle in Philly keep your loaded firearm in your vehicle  

ianal 

Yeah come on guys, don't spread misinformation... PA statute says ANY permit issued by the US or any state can be used for vehicle carry...

wrong 

Any person while carrying a firearm in any vehicle, which person possesses
a valid and lawfully issued license for that firearm
which has been issued under the laws of the United States or any other state.

That's interesting, so I wonder if your NJ FID and pink copy of the permit to purchase will work? 

Yeah come on guys, don't spread misinformation... PA statute says ANY permit issued by the US or any state can be used for vehicle carry...

That's interesting, so I wonder if your NJ FID and pink copy of the permit to purchase will work? 

reading it again you're right, i wonder if that will work

it doesn't say it has to be a valid carry permit 

not that it matters too much, i still have 3 useless permits i can use for vehicle carry lol

"Some have also been told that a reciprocity agreement with Utah is in the works but none have a copy of any such preliminary agreement or knowledge of when it might be signed. Clearly, if any new reciprocity agreement is drafted, it is sure to include restrictions on recognition of non-resident permit holders, similar to that found in the modified Florida, Virginia and Arizona reciprocity agreements."

looks like we're going to get screwed either way guys, the only hope we have now is praying republicans take control of the senate come November and pass a national reciprocity bill

http://blog.princelaw.com/2014/05/12/attorney-general-kane-invalidates-utah-firearm-reciprocity/

"Some have also been told that a reciprocity agreement with Utah is in the works but none have a copy of any such preliminary agreement or knowledge of when it might be signed. Clearly, if any new reciprocity agreement is drafted, it is sure to include restrictions on recognition of non-resident permit holders, similar to that found in the modified Florida, Virginia and Arizona reciprocity agreements."

looks like we're going to get screwed either way guys, the only hope we have now is praying republicans take control of the senate come November and pass a national reciprocity bill

http://blog.princelaw.com/2014/05/12/attorney-general-kane-invalidates-utah-firearm-reciprocity/

Would have to be enough republicans in both houses to override a presidential veto.... or in the Senate to execute Cloture on a filibuster.

Would have to be enough republicans in both houses to override a presidential veto.... or in the Senate to execute Cloture on a filibuster.

not necessarily, they can attach it to lets say a budget bill Obama wants to sign, then hes forced to sign both of them

thats the way we got carry legalized in national parks, some republican attached that bill to Obamas credit bill so he was forced to either sign both or sign none, he of course chose both as he always will especially if money is involved  

not necessarily, they can attach it to lets say a budget bill Obama wants to sign, then hes forced to sign both of them

thats the way we got carry legalized in national parks, some republican attached that bill to Obamas credit bill so he was forced to either sign both or sign none, he of course chose both as he always will especially if money is involved  

Let's hope that works....

Let's hope that works....

if it does ill be the first to move to the boarder of PA and ill happily drive the 75 miles to work one way over the current 45, i might have to sell my truck though and buy a Toyota, then i get to hear NJ complain about how my car is too fuel efficient and i dont pay my fair share in gas tax lol

if it does ill be the first to move to the boarder of PA and ill happily drive the 75 miles to work one way over the current 45, i might have to sell my truck though and buy a Toyota, then i get to hear NJ complain about how my car is too fuel efficient and i dont pay my fair share in gas tax lol

You say that now. Wait until you actually drive 75 miles each way and then talk. I drive on average 65 each way and fr the last few months it's been about 119 each way. It's brutal and my commute is somewhere in the 2:45 on the best day to 3 hours each way on the worst.

At 65 it was around 1:15

As we lament the worthlessness of our Utah permits, I wonder what other types of gun possession are permitted in PA to NJ residents with UT documents:

1) bringing a handgun to a friend's house and shooting in his back yard

2) carrying a loaded gun in the passenger compartment of a car

3) bringing a rife to a friend's house for shooting in his back yard

4) Is PA considered an exempt location for purposes of transporting a handgun/long gun as per federal rules?

Thanks in advance.

Exactly. This is what I told Anthony on Gun For Hire Radio this week. 

Attach it somewhere in some bill that they don't read anyway. Then it will get passed and even signed by Obama. 

We got national carry in parks this way, as you pointed out. LEOSA enhancements were also attached to a defense authorization bill, IIRC.  

The last great attempt at national CCW reciprocity was through the Thune Amendment to a defense appropriations bill. It almost passed. 

"They" do this all the time. Maybe it's time we do too. We aren't going to win by playing nice.