BossyMossy

Glock Gen 3

Hi Everybody,

I've been doing some shopping for a Glock 19, as I now have a couple permits in hand. In any event, it looks like most stores of trying to get their hands on BOTH gen 3 and gen 4 of the G19. I had it in my head that i was going to be picking up a g19 gen 4, but am now being told by a couple of the stores that i was considering going to tonight, that all they have left are the gen 3's.

Here are my questions:

Would anyone have any reservations about getting a gen3 instead of the newer gen 4?

If in fact i pick up a gen3, will aftermarket parts be available in one, two, or three years? (I know there aren't TOO many differences, but if i'm not mistaken, the gen 4 has two springs instead of one? I just want to be sure that i won't be purchasing something that i will regret a year or two down the line)

If you had it your way, which would you get?

Thanks,

BM

Most of the Glock growing pains are with the newer Gen4. The Gen3 had less reported issues of things like extractors causing brass in the face, and captive springs jumping the rods. I carried a Glock 22 Gen3 for five years before carrying a Gen3 G35 for the next eight. Each had thousands of rounds through them without issue.

If the back straps mean that much to you, get the gen 4. You get an additional mag with the gen 4 as well. Other than that there is not much difference to speak of (RSA is the major internal difference). I have a G21 gen 4, but I would have no problem getting a gen 3 for my next purchase.

If you would do me a favor and tell which stores have Gen3 in stock I would appreciate it. All the stores down south here dont have any G19s.

I would like to get a new Gen3... did not like the Gen4 I bought and want a to go back to a gen3.

your concerns are silly... you can fix a 25yo gen 1 g17 as easily as a 1yo gen4.

Glocks are like that... same with most 1911s.... the internals just aint changed that much.

If you would do me a favor and tell which stores have Gen3 in stock I would appreciate it. All the stores down south here dont have any G19s.

I would like to get a new Gen3... did not like the Gen4 I bought and want a to go back to a gen3.

your concerns are silly... you can fix a 25yo gen 1 g17 as easily as a 1yo gen4.

Glocks are like that... same with most 1911s.... the internals just aint changed that much.

Haha! I wish i could my friend, but i've called a bunch of stores and have found one Gen3 Glock 19 available. I had them put it aside with my name on it until i get out of work at 6:00 pm. Last Friday when i called, a couple of stores had Gen4's and gen3's. They must have sold them over the weekend because at this point in time, the only one i could find was the single Glock 19 (gen 3) left.

GEN4s have a rougher texture to them. They also have the different size backstraps, which, depending on your hand size, could make a difference. The slides and some of the parts are not interchangeable. The GEN4 is cut out a little under the pistol guard which allows you to get a slightly higher grip on the gun and a lower bore axis, which I also like.

Personally, given the two, I prefer the GEN4. However, the GEN3 is perfectly acceptable, and if I was able to legally carry in this state, I might prefer it, as the GEN4 is kind of like shark skin, and it can be irritating to the hand if shooting for a long time.

As far as growing pains, both Glocks are probably equally reliable at this point. Of course the GEN3 has been around longer. For under a $100 difference, I would easily prefer and upgrade to the GEN4. If I could get a used GEN3 in very good condition for a good price, I would certainly consider it, though. Or, if I was going to get a GEN4 and use it with the middle size back strap the difference wouldn't be enough to get the one over the other.

I also like the less shiny finish on the GEN4 as well, but, I would happily get a GEN3. Lastly, a GEN4 is suppose to have a lower recoil, due to the different spring setup. In my book, it is not that significant.

Haha! I wish i could my friend, but i've called a bunch of stores and have found one Gen3 Glock 19 available. I had them put it aside with my name on it until i get out of work at 6:00 pm. Last Friday when i called, a couple of stores had Gen4's and gen3's. They must have sold them over the weekend because at this point in time, the only one i could find was the single Glock 19 (gen 3) left.

you are a stingy man...

If the Gen3 fits your hand I would go with that. I had trouble with a Gen4 Glock. The only reason I went with the Gen4 was for the replaceable grip straps. The Gen3 is a little too large for my hands while the Gen4 fits just right. Plus there are a lot of Gen3 parts out there as you said as well as priced cheaper.

If the Gen3 being outdated in a few years is a concern, I'm royally screwed. I still have a Gen2 Glock 17...Your have noting to worry about...

Is the common opinion that the Gen 3 Glocks is still considered the best of the bunch or was it just a case of FTNG?

Personally, I think it's just one of those opinion things...There are some who suggest that the very late production Gen3's picked up some of the new tech, and thus perceived shortcomings of the Gen4. Reportedly, it has to do with Glock subcontracting out certain parts like the extractor, and the parts lacking the same QC as Glock proper. There is also the suggestion that the parts are not as durable and as they wear in, problems arise. Nothing made by man is perfect. I liked my Gen2's, but decided to give the Gen3 a run and had zero issues. With the Gen3 as compared to the Gen2, you gained finger grooves, that don't fit some folks hands(they fit my medium sized hands fine), and cause others to develop Glock knuckle(I never had this issue in something approaching 15G rounds through Glocks; I must be doing something wrong). You also gained a front rail on the dustcover for attaching lights and what not, which reportedly causes some pistols to malfunction as the added weight of some of the items mounted there cause the polymer frame to flex in a different fashion, reducing reliability. You just can't please all of the people, all of the time. I think the greatest new Glockism is the buying of Gen3's and Gen4's only to grind off the finger grooves and re-profile them to look like Gen1's...

For those who have Gen4 extraction problems; the Apex Extractor is an aftermarket fix that appears to be well received...

https://apextactical....php?pid67.html

I've shot a rental Gen 2 as well as a friend's Gen 3 and neither felt "right" so I'm interested in the Gen 4 with the choice of backstraps to accommodate my rather small hands. but still hear of the issues some have with the newer gun.

I would like to own a Glock one day but neither of the ones I shot grew on me.