Alright hivemind let's get some recommendations. I need a new edc that I can use at work. I work at a garden center/florist so daily tasks include cutting open boxes, cutting lengths is string and twine, cutting industrial plastic wraps, and most important cutting flowers. I have to clean about 300 flowers a day and at this point I feel like in sharpening my(cheap) knife everyday. So what I'm looking for is a smallish blade maybe 2-3in but I'd like a medium to full size handle(I have big hands). Control is necessary while manipulation plants to cut. I need something that can really hold an edge and doesn't necessarily have to be the most hardcore blade in terms of strength but I sure you all have opinions. It has to be a folder or fixed but something I can pocket carry and easily get in and out my pants/shorts pockets. I'm also a fan of "cool" but functional looking knives. Trying to keep it under $100 but will break budget if someone recommends the PERFECT knife.

Thanks guys

Sent from my hidden under ground bunker between Taco Bell and the dry cleaner

Buy 5 $20 Kershaw folders, send em back on a rotating schedule for free sharpening.

This is pretty much what I've been doing... Buy a $20 knife and throw it in a drawer once it's unusable or needs ridiculous sharpening. I'd like to step up my "class" slightly and get something that will last

This is pretty much what I've been doing... Buy a $20 knife and throw it in a drawer once it's unusable or needs ridiculous sharpening. I'd like to step up my "class" slightly and get something that will last

:unknw: Any knife you use like you've mentioned is gunna need sharpening. Might as well invest in a company who will sharpen your knife for free.

Spyderco Delica, Native, Manix series, Dodo series (if you're lucky for your price), Paramilitary, Salt series, Stretch...

Honestly, most Spydercos in the line between $45 and $100ish feature good steels like VG10 or CPMS30V. The Salt series are H1 rustproof steel.

I'm a fan of Kershaws as well (and own a Speed Bump, and Needs Work), but I own mostly Spydercos. I like that Spydercos have better steels than knives from most manufacturers at the same prices... Also worth looking into a Leatherman Charge TTi, with the S30V knife blades.

I'm currently carrying a Spyderco Nishijin "R" plain edge, Spyderco Tasman Salt serrated edge, and a Leatherman Wave.

ANY knife will need a sharpening after some use. VG10, CPMS30V, H1, and most other quality steels will hold an edge better and longer than cheap steels. I suggest the Spyderco Sharpmaker, will be around $45 for the basic system, or about $100 for the entire kit including diamond and ultra-fine rods. Plus side, Sharpmaker will make nearly any knife sharp again quickly without damaging the blade...so if you have kitchen knives that need help, they'll sharpen right up... Only knives I haven't been able to sharpen properly are serrated edges with super tight spacing.

http://www.amazon.com/Ka-Bar-Dozier-Folding-Hunter-Coyote/dp/B001PE7J7M/ref=sr_1_2?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1366201829&sr=1-2&keywords=kabar+dozier

I have not sharpened the one I have been carrying yet... about 5 months. And I use it many times a day and twice that on weekends. Been the only knif in my pocket for the last 5 mos.

I have worn out a benchmade, a kershaw and a CRKT in two years. I have an Emerson which I love, but it is bigger and not as comfortable around the office/storage/docks. Plus the emerson needed a little bit finer sharpening skill to really bring back the edge. This KaBar need nothing more then a rough stone.

Often times you can pay more and get alot less.

LowSlow... if you're looking for a small bladed EDC that still feels full size... I highly recommend you have a look at the Bark River EDC series... specifically the PSK. I have been carrying a PSK for about 2.5 years now. It's heavily in my usual work rotation. (2.75" blade. Small, unthreatening for an office environment, good handle size for good control.)

My EDC rotation from top to bottom: SOG Micron and Atwood MSoPT (both of those are ALWAYS in my wallet, the rest depend on what I'm doing/where I am), Bark River PSK, Strider PT CC, Hinderer XM-18 (3"), EDCF edition Moonglow Spyderco Manix 2, and finally a ZT 0560 (usually only in the outdoors... it's too big. It's basically a mass produced 4" XM-18)

D'oh! Should have put something in the pic for size reference. The blade on the PSK and the Strider PT is 2.75", the XM-18 is 3" and the ZT is 4".

LowSlow... if you're looking for a small bladed EDC that still feels full size... I highly recommend you have a look at the Bark River EDC series... specifically the PSK. I have been carrying a PSK for about 2.5 years now. It's heavily in my usual work rotation. (2.75" blade. Small, unthreatening for an office environment, good handle size for good control.)

My EDC rotation from top to bottom: SOG Micron and Atwood MSoPT (both of those are ALWAYS in my wallet, the rest depend on what I'm doing/where I am), Bark River PSK, Strider PT CC, Hinderer XM-18 (3"), EDCF edition Moonglow Spyderco Manix 2, and finally a ZT 0560 (usually only in the outdoors... it's too big. It's basically a mass produced 4" XM-18)

D'oh! Should have put something in the pic for size reference. The blade on the PSK and the Strider PT is 2.75", the XM-18 is 3" and the ZT is 4".

Yes those are abig upgrade and a completely different class.

There's a place in this world for everything but I reckon LowSlow did say "upgrade" :)

The Bark River isn't too bad (around $110 depending on handle materials), and the Spyderco isn't either.

Also... I used to have a Graham Bros Wee Razel. That is another great EDC. (Fate determined that it belonged to another. It was gifted to a nice young couple on their wedding day because it was used to cut the ribbon holding the rings to the pillow when they couldn't untie it.) Blade length under 2", combination razor and chisel. CRKT makes a mass-produced, slightly larger, version that can be found for about $70.

There's a place in this world for everything but I reckon LowSlow did say "upgrade" :)

The Bark River isn't too bad (around $110 depending on handle materials), and the Spyderco isn't either.

Also... I used to have a Graham Bros Wee Razel. That is another great EDC. (Fate determined that it belonged to another. It was gifted to a nice young couple on their wedding day because it was used to cut the ribbon holding the rings to the pillow when they couldn't untie it.) Blade length under 2", combination razor and chisel. CRKT makes a mass-produced, slightly larger, version that can be found for about $70.

+1 for bark river. I EDC a Bark River North Star. But I spent allot more than 100 bucks on it but I had to have it with the water buffalo handle which brought the price up allot. All in all I am very happy with Bark River and will probably be buying another in the future

You might consider getting a bench grinder and paper knife sharpening wheels for the grinder if you have to sharpen your knives that frequently. I hear there's a learning curve, but once you get it down you can put a great edge on them in seconds:

http://www.sharpeningwheels.com/products.html

http://www.dvor.com/cut-it-up-with-a-knife-clearance-22-2013-04-17.html

One of my favorite knives, even though its cheap and I find myself sharpening it often (gets alot of use) this is the most versatile knife I have. I also picked it up at cabelas in a sale bin for $13.

2ugusa3u.jpg

The carabiner allows me to clip it on my belt loop, backpack, turnout gear, range bag... The possblities are endless.

Alright hivemind let's get some recommendations. I need a new edc that I can use at work. I work at a garden center/florist so daily tasks include cutting open boxes, cutting lengths is string and twine, cutting industrial plastic wraps, and most important cutting flowers. I have to clean about 300 flowers a day and at this point I feel like in sharpening my(cheap) knife everyday. So what I'm looking for is a smallish blade maybe 2-3in but I'd like a medium to full size handle(I have big hands). Control is necessary while manipulation plants to cut. I need something that can really hold an edge and doesn't necessarily have to be the most hardcore blade in terms of strength but I sure you all have opinions. It has to be a folder or fixed but something I can pocket carry and easily get in and out my pants/shorts pockets. I'm also a fan of "cool" but functional looking knives. Trying to keep it under $100 but will break budget if someone recommends the PERFECT knife.

Thanks guys

I love my nice knives, but my answer is keep it cheap and easy to sharpen. Anything with good edge holding will be harder to sharpen, and if you are cutting up boxes every day, the tougher edge isn't going to hold up that much longer. The only thing I have found that will dull an edge faster is cutting up carpet.

Honestly, if the sharpening bothers you, go get some of these http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-Folding-Utility-Knives-3-Pack-010-008-HKY/202509668#.UW7W4jV_D6o

They are probably a much better fit for your day to day than something fancy. Or if you do get something fancy, get a good old box cutter to go with.

+1 for Bark River. I've been to their facility out in Michigan 2 times for events and made my own knives under their supervision. Superb group of people over there, I would recommend them a thousand times over. Can't wait for the next event to make another knife, hehe

If you want to go the folding knife route I recommend spyderco or benchmade. A benchmade griptilian would be under 100 bucks and its a great knife with great steel (154cm). Find something with either 154cm, s30v or the like. Stay away from cheap crappy steels (ie lower end kershaw, sog, cold steel etc) and it won't go dull so quickly.

I think you'd really like the griptilian being you have larger hands.

My current EDC:

http://www.amazon.co...s=sog+twitch+ii

It's just the right size/profile for EDC. It has an aluminum handle, AUS8 steel blade and SOG Assisted Technology which makes for easy blade deployment and a nice locking mechanism

Small, sharp, strong, and easy to carry.

Also check out the Kershaw Leek