Newtonian

What should I get?

What should I get with my last (for a while) NJ handgun permit??

I now have:

Ruger SP101: 3.06" barrel, 5-shot, .357/.38sp

S&W 617: 4" barrel, 10-shot, .22lr

I am waiting (almost 6 weeks) for two permits. One will go for my CZ82 (semi-auto, 12-round mag, 9x18 Makarov), which has been sitting at my local shop for more than a month.

Base your suggestion on the current craziness in ammo prices, and of course the fact that we live in NJ.

I was thinking of another Soviet-bloc firearm, the Tokarev. These are relatively inexpensive and the ammo can be had for considerably less than the 75 cents - $1 I'm seeing for other "defensive" rounds.

I also like the idea of a pocket pistol.

Thanks in advance.

If you already have a defensive handgun, then consider getting the 617. Otherwise, get the SP101. I would pass up on the Tokarev.

If you already have a defensive handgun, then consider getting the 617. Otherwise, get the SP101. I would pass up on the Tokarev.

I think he said he already has a SP-101. I would suggest a 9mm (9x19) Either a Glock 19 or 26. If you want a real pocket 9mm, it's hard to beat a Kahr PM9. On the other hand a good 1911 is hard to beat, and is an iconic firearm.

You have to frame your Q better...What are you desires, wishes, goals, preferences in regards to the persuit of firearms?

Sorry I could have been more clear. I want a handgun collection that is well rounded with respect to fun, cost of shooting, self defense, and aesthetics.

The SP101 is pretty, deadly, heavy, fairly well concealable, but expensive to shoot revolver

The S&W617 is gorgeous, very heavy, not reasonably concealable, cheap to shoot revolver

CZ82 (if the powers that be ever allow me to have it) is ok-looking, sturdy, easily concealed, deadly, so-so expensive to shoot pistol

What I'm missing: something pocketable, something that combines stopping power in semi-automatic

I appreciate the suggestions to buy a 9mm (9x19). However, I refuse to spend $250 in ammo every time I go shooting. I already have a .357, which is deadly and small enough, for which I can use .38sp for practice without going broke.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• olight.jpg

Use Promo Code "NJGF10" for 10% Off Regular Items

• Supporting Vendors

• Latest Topics

• Similar Content

• By TacticalTrainingCenter
      Join us every Friday for our 40-yard sharp shooting competition.
      40-Yard Friday’s Details:
      – Hit a playing card from 40 yards to qualify for the semi-finals at the end of March.
      – Iron sights, 8 shots, 9mm and above.
      – One Final sharp-shooter will win a Premium Membership valued at $495 and have Bragging Rights!
      Semi-finals will be held at the end of March.
      Stop by the TTC range and take your shot!

Sunday Feb 24th - 9am to 11am
      Join us for National Shooting Sports Foundation - NSSF - safety and basic firearms familiarization session oriented towards the person who has very little to no shooting experience. The First Shots Shooting Experience will consist of classroom and range sessions led by experienced instructors.
      The Tactical Training Center of NJ and the NSSF will provide all necessary firearms, ammunition and safety equipment.
      SEND A NEW SHOOTER TO OUR "FIRST SHOTS" EVENT
      Must Watch Video 8 Seconds Faster
      8 seconds faster because “Smooth is Fast”. If you watch the video and keep track of the time, you’ll see that this shooter, C.S. (our shooter in the drill) is about 8 seconds faster than the majority of the other shooters. Listen to how long gunfire from other shooters continue after she completes her drill.
      Becoming a fast and accurate shooter, is a combination of acquiring skills and understanding efficient human movement. Speed and accuracy does not have to comprise safety, it should augment it. Learning to shoot fast and accurately is an acquired and appreciated skill. It takes time, instruction, practice and the development of skill to acquire it; and it will depreciate if it not maintained.
    • By Daniel Obermeier
      Hello to all, Its been a long time since I purchased a handgun (30 years or so) and I'm finding conflicting info so I would like to find out how everything works. When I went to my local PD they gave me a package of stuff and said I had to be fingerprinted first. I have had my FID since 1978 and was fingerprinted then. When I moved to the town I live in now (Raritan Boro in 1998) I changed my address with no problem but 2 years or so later my wallet was stolen and my FID was in my wallet. When I went back to the PD they gave me a little trouble and made me reapply and I ended up having to go to court but the judge granted my request on appeal I was fingerprinted again at this time. I made the appointment to get fingerprinted but got a call from the police dept saying I did not need to get finger printed so I cancelled my appointment. Now in searching on the internet to make sure everything was correct I thought I saw something that said you have to be fingerprinted every time you purchase a handgun in NJ , I need to know if this is true so I can make sure I have done everything I can to ensure a good decision with least possible wait. Another question is  there a one month wait on purchasing in NJ? If anyone can give me the up to date requirements I would be very grateful
    • By remixer
      In Stock At Monmouth Arms, LLC
      Sig Sauer P320 Compact 9mm with Night Sights $580.00 Sig Sauer p320 Full Size 9mm (Pinned Mags) Contrast Sights $535.00 Smith and Wesson Mp9 2.0 Black (Factory 15rds Magazines) $525.00 Smith and Wesson 617 4" 22lr $675.00 Smith and Wesson Mp9 Shield $390.00 These are all New in Box.  Prices are plus $15.00 Nics and NJ Tax.
      Handgun Buyer must have Valid DL and Valid P2P.

Thanks for Looking,
      Steven - Monmouth Arms, LLC
      172 US 9 - Suite F
      Englishtown NJ 07726
      732-547-1243