Sign in to follow this  
tomgwarrior

Purchasing Ammo with a RPO Permit

Hello all i am from monmouth county and i am a new member to the forum. I am a retired Det from Ny and i have a retired officer right to carry permit.I was in the freehold Dicks about 2 weeks ago and wanted to buy ammo and the guy at the counter said this permit was not good to buy ammo and i needed a purchase permit. Has any other retired guys had this problem before.

Might be kind of fun to see what kind of commotion he can cause at Dick's. Print out the statute and take it with you. When they refuse to sell the ammo to you based on the LEOSA permit - slap the statute on the counter and ask if they can read. Hey, I'd do it just for S&G's.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

May I ask why you got a permit from NJ if you retired from NY? It does nothing else for you than what your NY retired ID does.

You will need a FPID if you want to purchase handgun ammo in NJ, or have someone else buy it for you.

I retract the above. Your Retired ID will work for some dealers.

Might be kind of fun to see what kind of commotion he can cause at Dick's. Print out the statute and take it with you. When they refuse to sell the ammo to you based on the LEOSA permit - slap the statute on the counter and ask if they can read. Hey, I'd do it just for S&G's.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

The NJ RPO Carry Permit has nothing to do with LEOSA other than it can serve to identify you as a RPO and show you qualified. The NJ RPO Permit was started a couple of yeras before LEOSA was passed. You can go with a RPO permit and aa stack of copies of the statute to Dick's and they could still say we accept the FPID only. If they want to have a more restrictive policy than state law that's their option.

I am pretty sure a retired NY ID would not fly in NJ. What is this permit you have?

Well it should. I'm sure the OP will correct me if I'm wrong but it appears he retired from NYPD and now lives in NJ. The NJ AG put out a policy letter regarding LEOSA a few years ago which says NJ recognizes it (like they have an option to ignore federal law) but if you're a NJ resident and a retired LEO you have to get a RPO permit. NJ says Federal law applies unless you're a NJ resident? I dont see you'll see any test cases on this as the NJ AG doesn't want egg on their face.

If the OP carries his retired ID and proof of qualification he would be covered under LEOSA. He has chosen to get the NJ RPO permit to keep anyone off his back. $50 a year can prevent hours of BS.

Since i live in NJ i wanted to be able to carry a firearm legally. With the HR 218 your old department is supposed to do it for you, but the nypd refuses to do it.Better to be safe than sorry

Under LEOSA its supposed to be any qual course used by any LE agency in your state of RESIDENCE. The NJ RPO permit doesn't restrict you to the guns you qualify with. You can qual with a Glock and carry a revolver. LEOSA requires you qualify with "the same type of action" that you carry. You can qual with Taurus da revolver and carry S&W; qual with a 1911 and carry a Browning HP. To cover all bases I qual with a S&W revolver, a 1911 (SA Auto), and a Glock (striker action pistols have been catergorized as DA since the Glock was imported nearly 20 years ago).

LEOSA says you can also carry hollowpoints but NJ says no. NJ apparently feels Federal law doesn't apply here.

LEOSA says you can also carry hollowpoints but NJ says no. NJ apparently feels Federal law doesn't apply here.

I thought that was resolved and the AG issued a clarification that retired LEO's could carry hollowpoints