EX Carnival man

One person dead at a Lakewood Range

. Wait, WTF, you're charging me $20 for a box of ammo I can buy elsewhere for $10? However, if I buy a membership you will only charge me $15? LOL, where do I sign up? Call it profiteering, gouging, a** raping, general douchbaggery, whatever you want. I'll take my business elsewhere.

I look at it like forgetting your toothbrush while on vacation. Sure the hotel is going to charge you triple the price for cheap toothbrush but its a convenience charge for not coming prepared. Ever see the price of a bathing suit in a hotel gift shop?

That is an interesting concept, and maybe not as crazy as you are suggesting. Think about it for a moment. We as gun owners all have FID cards and have gone through a background check. When we go to the range there are many people there that might be as crazy as the night is dark. They go in, sign a few papers and show some ID. They are then handed a weapon and a bunch of ammo. Who knows what they might do once they have that in their hands. Odds are most of them are perfectly normal people, but some may have just left the loony bin. If I were a criminal and needed a quick gun what better way would there to be but to go to a rental counter at a range with some fake ID and get a gun and ammo and make a run (actually a slow walk so as not to be noticed) out the door. The laws are indeed strange. If I rent a gun at the range I don't need an FID to buy ammo, yet if I bring my own gun and want to buy ammo at the range I MUST show my FID - gotta love our laws.

I guess your assuming anyone with a mental health problem will be in the system? the problem is he could be, and he could be not, you dont institute a whole new bureaucracy so we can "feel" safe life is not safe thats something you gotta live with take your chances 99.9% you will come out ahead if you dont well then it was meant to be. dont get sucked into the liberal protectionist mindset its cancer live life and enjoy

Is this still their policy? I have seen many people walk in and not buy ammo to shoot. Is this for non members only? I was going to shoot there this weekend and bring my on gun and ammo.

If you bring your own guns you can bring your own ammo, if you rent a gun you have to purchase the ammo from them. I think this is standard at most ranges, all that I have been to. So bring your own gun and ammo and then just pay the $10 an hour lane charge and you are good to go. If you go on the weekend be prepared for a wait. I have never seen a wait less than 15 minutes on a weekend.

Semantics.

I went in there to rent because I wanted to try a few different models. The rental itself wasn't too bad but they demanded I shoot only ammo I purchased from them. Ok, no problem. Wait, WTF, you're charging me $20 for a box of ammo I can buy elsewhere for $10? However, if I buy a membership you will only charge me $15? LOL, where do I sign up? Call it profiteering, gouging, a** raping, general douchbaggery, whatever you want. I'll take my business elsewhere.

as someone posted before....where can you buy it for $10.00? have you priced ammo on line recently? Haven't you read about the same complaints at newer ranges in Northern NJ? I as able to find 9mm FMJ ammo for .15 to .19 cents a round not 6 months ago.... price it now.

You have chosen an expensive sport where the ability to choose,purchase,arm and fire your weapon can prove to be costly . I too lament the cost of our sport but still understand that until more souls brave the choppy waters of financing,opening and successfully running a public gun range in this state , competition is practically non existent and prices reflect that. Get over it.

There is some new info the guy was a former corrections officer he was on workers comp since last years no name released as of yet

....so as a CO, even a former one,would conceivably already be a gun owner..... Don't make sense and I'm calling BS.

Ok is some complaining about a range charging $20 per box of ammo? Unless that was just an example, $20 per box is on the low side..

You will always have to but their ammo if you rent their guns.. They don't know what kind of ammo you are bringing in.. Could be steel, could be reloads.. Neither of which are allowed.. So that way they know what you are shooting is new brass ammo.. Most ranges are that way..

Back to original topic, now that I have my fid, I wouldn't care if they went to fid to rent but I would have been been pissed since I had no other way to try something.. But it's something I think will be looked at.. As will "more than 1 person" to rent like other places have

....so as a CO, even a former one,would conceivably already be a gun owner..... Don't make sense and I'm calling BS.

Well since your calling it, it must be true. Do you think all CO's have guns? I know one that doesn't so maybe there is two? I am just repeating what was in the paper! link below...

http://www.thelakewoodscoop.com/news/2013/04/man-who-killed-self-at-shooting-range-was-former-corrections-officer.html#more-75751

Does anyone know what happens to the firearm which is used for such a purpose? I'm assuming that it may be bagged as evidence but does the FFL get it back at some point?

I'm just wondering because it would kind of suck if it gets sold as a used gun to someone that doesn't know it was used in a suicide. The other concern would be if the serial# of that particular gun will be associated with the suicide as well.

Well since your calling it, it must be true. Do you think all CO's have guns? I know one that doesn't so maybe there is two? I am just repeating what was in the paper! link below...

http://www.thelakewo...html#more-75751

Thus the "conceivably" in my sentence.... there is no need to get defensive, and I too have retired CO acquaintances, all of whom are gun owners but perhaps there was 2 who weren't ....now down to 1.

That is an interesting concept, and maybe not as crazy as you are suggesting. Think about it for a moment. We as gun owners all have FID cards and have gone through a background check. When we go to the range there are many people there that might be as crazy as the night is dark. They go in, sign a few papers and show some ID. They are then handed a weapon and a bunch of ammo. Who knows what they might do once they have that in their hands. Odds are most of them are perfectly normal people, but some may have just left the loony bin. If I were a criminal and needed a quick gun what better way would there to be but to go to a rental counter at a range with some fake ID and get a gun and ammo and make a run (actually a slow walk so as not to be noticed) out the door. The laws are indeed strange. If I rent a gun at the range I don't need an FID to buy ammo, yet if I bring my own gun and want to buy ammo at the range I MUST show my FID - gotta love our laws.

Howard,

You only have to show your FIC when you buy ammo to take out.

Scig

This may not be a popular opinion................... but it was pretty inconsiderate of the individual to involve the range and strangers in his own demise. Not to mention inconsiderate to his loved ones.

So no, I dont think your concern about the hours is too far out of line...........just my $.02...........which is not really even worth that much ;-)

Thanks man, I wasn't trying to be rude but I really wanted to know without bothering the guys on the phone as I'm sure they are busy enough. This guy was very inconsiderate and I hate that he involved SS. Stop calling him a victim, he did it himself he isn't a victim he is an idiot, if ur gunna off urself do it at home not in public, I have no sorrow for this kind of douch bagery... I feel bad for the family, the range an anyone who had to witness that... And again if anyone has been there this week an knows if their hours are effected please let me know.

Yes, renting a firearm and buying ammo in public ranges are expensive,that's how they subsidize their range and pay the specialized insurance required when .....let's say some nut decides to off himself with a rental gun.

Firearm rentals cannot be considered a necessity or ammo a vital staple that can be "Gouged" so call them expensive,call them overpriced,call them profiteers but they are not Gouging you.

Looks like we have an intelligent person here who knows what the meaning of gouging is. It is basically raising your prices above market for essential goods that cannot be bought elsewhere. A lot of people do not understand the difference in cost to run an online business and a bricks and mortar one where you have to pay staff even if you do not make a sale. Shore Shot cannot order 500 Glock mags and get a really good wholesale price. They buy a few and have rent, salaries and other costs to keep their range open. We seem to want an open and free market economy except when we think the prices are too high. If they are too high, no one will buy their mags and they will have to lower their price. The fact that people are buying their mags at their asking price is proof that their prices are not too high, just too high for you. Price is what you pay and value is what you get.

As far as sales tax goes, that is not a fair factor as legally you are supposed to declare all out of State purchases on your tax forms for which you owe sales tax. I assume that everyone declares such purchases and pays the applicable sales tax when they file their taxes. Someday they will make all online purchases subject to the sales tax of the buyer's state and city.

The rumor going around the Ocean County Sheriff's dept is he was in fact a Corrections Officer.

Don't even know why I'm responding to the price gouging, but it is just as hard for the shooting ranges to get ammo as it is for us. I saw Billy yesterday at Dick's getting ammo. Dick's isn't charging wholesale prices and they do have to make a few dollars.

How in the world does a thread about some pour guy committing suicide turn into a price gouging thread? WTF?

By "victim" do you mean the range owners, all people who want to be able to rent guns, or people who are interested in keeping the 2A alive?

Let's just call him/ her the deceased. Very dangerous, inconsiderate and selfish person. Bullet he used could have easily hit another shooter next to him. Also if young kids were there and witnessed this they could have been traumatized for life.

It really is too bad that Obama and his cronies craeted this panic into this sport...Not saying this guy was a newbi - don't know - just that it creates a higher level of risk for all involved...People who may not have even got into shooting are rushing in (of course it is there right).

I am not sure that Shore Shot (I shoot there very often in the winter) "certifies" the shooters well...I could be wrong, but I've noticed they do not "qualify" the renters very much.

And yes, I am all for background checks...I personally do not want to be shooting next to some nut job or criminal (of course the checks should be "quick" not 10 days).

Does anyone know what happens to the firearm which is used for such a purpose? I'm assuming that it may be bagged as evidence but does the FFL get it back at some point?

I'm just wondering because it would kind of suck if it gets sold as a used gun to someone that doesn't know it was used in a suicide. The other concern would be if the serial# of that particular gun will be associated with the suicide as well.

LOL trust me you would not want to purchase any of the rental guns at the end of their lives. They are all well shot-out by the time they are retired; most of them are cannibalized in their old age to repair other rentals. I would imagine that gun will be booked in as evidence and most likely not returned. Depending on which gun it was it would probably cost more in legal fees to try to get it back than it is currently worth.

i know this is a question that no one may have the answer to, and it may sound like a strange question, but does anyone know what gun it was that he used? not a morbid fascination or anything, but I have rented a few different guns there, and im just curious in my own mind if this person used one of the ones I rented from them... sorry if that sounds weird, but it would make me feel a bit creepy...

i know this is a question that no one may have the answer to, and it may sound like a strange question, but does anyone know what gun it was that he used? not a morbid fascination or anything, but I have rented a few different guns there, and im just curious in my own mind if this person used one of the ones I rented from them... sorry if that sounds weird, but it would make me feel a bit creepy...

Word going around it was a Kimber 45. This is NOT fact though.

Change the name to Kavorkian's Indoor Shooting Range...................Hmmmmm.

lol

In what world is this funny? No wonder the anti's and maybe even people on the fence when it comes to gun control, have this opinion about us.

:facepalm: Seriously? So $15 to rent a pistol is high? Their ammo is priced accordingly considering the current market conditions and no one is forcing you to buy it. If you can find it cheaper have fun. The $20 walk-on fee has been the same since the day they opened their doors in 1993. Shore Shot memberships have dropped more than $100 since the '90s, they used to be $350 a year and are now $225 a year and if you purchase a firearm from them they will even in most cases sell you a membership at the LEO rate of $185. Shore Shot stocks various magazines and accessories on the shelf which costs money. They do not purchase them to have their money tied up for six months to a year so they can sell them to you for what they paid for them. Billy is good people, I have known him and his mother for about 20 years, I support them because I'd rather have a range to go to when I want to shoot than save a buck here and there. I'd bet you would be the first whiney tool to complain if they went out of business too.

Can't speak for Shoreshot as I don't shoot there but I know RTSP will only let you shoot their ammo if you are renting a gun(which is much higher then the member price..which is also pretty high) if you rent. Not sure how they police it though as I do not rent guns there.