EX Carnival man

One person dead at a Lakewood Range

TK421

Sorry don't agree with you, as I work retail also. If I am a paying customer, how is inconsiderate to come to someone's store and drop my hard earned money to purchase a gun? What difference does it make if the store is closing in 20 minutes or 4 hours? It's one thing to tire kick right at closing, but to know what you want and purchase it...what is wrong with that?? Employees are still getting paid. I don't thing anyone would want to turn away business in this economy.

I was just pointing out, it is a given if you are renting a gun somewhere you have to purchase their ammo. If they are renting out a $600-$900 firearm I think they have the right to try to limit some yahoo from trying to fire the bargain reloads he picked-up online for six bucks a box. I can't understand how some people think the world works, like a business is there to have everything they need or want readily available for them to use at their discretion and for no more than the bargain internet prices they can find it online.

I was just pointing out, it is a given if you are renting a gun somewhere you have to purchase their ammo. If they are renting out a $600-$900 firearm I think they have the right to try to limit some yahoo from trying to fire the bargain reloads he picked-up online for six bucks a box. I can't understand how some people think the world works, like a business is there to have everything they need or want readily available for them to use at their discretion and for no more than the bargain internet prices they can find it online.

Good point on reloads. I never thought about that.

I was just there on Monday! Can't believe it. It's happened there twice before, but the prior incidents were a few years back, and not in recent memory.

They should really have something there for outreach, maybe a poster for To Write Love On Her Arms http://twloha.com/ and at the very least, the number for the National Hopeline. (1-800-SUICIDE). There is ALWAYS someone on the other end of that phone who will talk and listen to you.

TK421

Sorry don't agree with you, as I work retail also. If I am a paying customer, how is inconsiderate to come to someone's store and drop my hard earned money to purchase a gun? What difference does it make if the store is closing in 20 minutes or 4 hours? It's one thing to tire kick right at closing, but to know what you want and purchase it...what is wrong with that?? Employees are still getting paid. I don't thing anyone would want to turn away business in this economy.

You cannot pick-up a firearm like a bag of bread. I think it is obvious that the paperwork takes 10-15 minutes alone just to fill-out and you can't even get a NICs approval on a Sunday under normal circumstances. If you walk into your local supermarket 15 minutes before it closes and expect to do your month's shopping you think they are going to hang around and wait for you? If you walk into a car dealer 15 minutes before closing do you think you are going to leave with a car the same night? Would you expect to be seated for a full dinner if you showed up to a sit-down resturant 15 minutes before they closed? How ridiculous is it to show up to a range 15 minutes before it closes and expect to actually go shooting? By the time you got on the firing line and loaded your gun the actual time spent shooting would be less than the time it takes to clean the damned gun. I would never think of being such an inconsiderate twit as to try such a thing on a Sunday evening no less, let alone be brazen enough to pitch-a-**** about it.

I was just pointing out, it is a given if you are renting a gun somewhere you have to purchase their ammo.

You would think this is the case and yet, I rented a gun at a range out of state and shot my ammo (factory, Walmart purchased) through their rental... I was surprised, believe me.

You would think this is the case and yet, I rented a gun at a range out of state and shot my ammo (factory, Walmart purchased) through their rental... I was surprised, believe me.

Me too, I have been to ranges in Vegas, Virginia, South Carolina, Florida and Kentucky, I have never seen one rent a firearm without a requirement that you purchase their ammo.

You cannot pick-up a firearm like a bag of bread. I think it is obvious that the paperwork takes 10-15 minutes alone just to fill-out and you can't even get a NICs approval on a Sunday under normal circumstances. If you walk into your local supermarket 15 minutes before it closes and expect to do your month's shopping you think they are going to hang around and wait for you? If you walk into a car dealer 15 minutes before closing do you think you are going to leave with a car the same night? Would you expect to be seated for a full dinner if you showed up to a sit-down resturant 15 minutes before they closed? How ridiculous is it to show up to a range 15 minutes before it closes and expect to actually go shooting? By the time you got on the firing line and loaded your gun the actual time spent shooting would be less than the time it takes to clean the damned gun. I would never think of being such an inconsiderate twit as to try such a thing on a Sunday evening no less, let alone be brazen enough to pitch-a-**** about it.

I am well aware of paperwork involved and Nics procedures. Agreed you can't pick up a gun like a loaf of bread. What if I called ahead and found out that the gun is in stock. Maybe it took you an hour to get there... So you mean a store will not take your cash payment in full to buy the gun to secure it and then come back the following day to fill out the paperwork?? I have stayed late to fill out paperwork for customers. If you work retail, it is part of the job. If that is not how a person feels about their work, they should find a different job. Like I said they are getting paid. Not looking for an argument or a debate here and I have added enough to the derailment of this thread. Sorry for the family of the deceased, and also sorry for the owners, or anyone that had to witness it.

I am well aware of paperwork involved and Nics procedures. Agreed you can't pick up a gun like a loaf of bread. What if I called ahead and found out that the gun is in stock. Maybe it took you an hour to get there... So you mean a store will not take your cash payment in full to buy the gun to secure it and then come back the following day to fill out the paperwork?? I have stayed late to fill out paperwork for customers. If you work retail, it is part of the job. If that is not how a person feels about their work, they should find a different job. Like I said they are getting paid. Not looking for an argument or a debate here and I have added enough to the derailment of this thread. Sorry for the family of the deceased, and also sorry for the owners, or anyone that had to witness it.

Exactly, if something is in stock and you call up anyone there would take your CC info over the phone to pay for the gun and hold it for you to fill out the paper work at a later day. Who the hell wants to sit around for a ½ hour on a Sunday night to fill-out paperwork for a gun that ain't getting picked up for at least two weeks! I too am sorry this schmuck chose to off himself at a gun range. I feel bad for the family but would have rather the asstard jumped off the Driscoll instead.

Doors should always stay open until the posted closing time. The employees can always tell the person that just walked in that they do not have enough time to complete the transaction. If someone just came in to buy some ammo, mags or supplies the sale should be made but I agree that showing up 30 minutes before close to shoot or buy a gun is a little rude.

Doors should always stay open until the posted closing time. The employees can always tell the person that just walked in that they do not have enough time to complete the transaction. If someone just came in to buy some ammo, mags or supplies the sale should be made but I agree that showing up 30 minutes before close to shoot or buy a gun is a little rude.

I think part of it is these guys don't want to have to say no to someone, over the last several weeks (they were closed on Easter) they were there very late because people were "kicking the tires". Two Sundays before Easter Mike said he sold a pistol right at the end of the day and a group of guys came off the range at 6PM and started asking about shotguns. Mike stayed despite his wife's texts and helped the guys out with their questions. According to him they finally left at 7 without making a purchase. This is what they were talking about when Dan locked the door at 5:45.

They should suck it up and close earlier if they don't want to be there Sunday nights. I run a large retail business. There's times I'd like to kick a person out after closing but they are paying my salary and by god those doors will be open until the posted time.

LIL

There's a gun shop that has a sign that states that any gun purchase transaction must be initiated an hour prior to closing time, or something to that affect. Seems right to me.

FWIW I've been in retail/wholesale for the past 20 years. In spite of enjoying what I do, I have a life afterwards that I would like to get to, eventually, if it is not too much trouble...

Well, yes, a car dealer will sell you a car, and a restaurant will feed you up until they lock their doors. If a business like this needs to close down early, they can do what other businesses do and post a time for lane closure. Store closes at 6, last person allowed on firing line at 5:30. If they don't post it, it's unfair to have a problem with people who show up before close. I am not sure if Easton has this posted or not, but I hear them say that towards the end of the day. They are very clear and respectful in the way they say it, and I have never had a problem with it.

People do not have to spend there money there, there are other restaurants, other dealerships, and other ranges. Good customer service is key, if you have a time you want to be out, post it, or else don't cry about it. I mean, poor customer service is their choice, but don't expect to have too many repeat customers.

Well, yes, a car dealer will sell you a car, and a restaurant will feed you up until they lock their doors. If a business like this needs to close down early, they can do what other businesses do and post a time for lane closure. Store closes at 6, last person allowed on firing line at 5:30. If they don't post it, it's unfair to have a problem with people who show up before close. I am not sure if Easton has this posted or not, but I hear them say that towards the end of the day. They are very clear and respectful in the way they say it, and I have never had a problem with it.

People do not have to spend there money there, there are other restaurants, other dealerships, and other ranges. Good customer service is key, if you have a time you want to be out, post it, or else don't cry about it. I mean, poor customer service is their choice, but don't expect to have too many repeat customers.

Excellent post.

Excellent post.

...so on top of your niggling complaint with SS's gun rental and ammo prices, you also take issue with their customer service?.... is there no pleasing you?

...so on top of your niggling complaint with SS's gun rental and ammo prices, you also take issue with their customer service?.... is there no pleasing you?

Okay now that you asked I'll tell you. A few big ones. When someone calls the shop its rude and unprofessional to talk smack about them at the counter after you hang up to the other sale persons in front of customers. Also eating at the counter and rolling your eyes when someone asks to see a gun. Go eat in the room. When your selling a gun to a customer talk to that customer not to the other salesmen about last night These guys are in sales not on brake.

LIL

There's a gun shop that has a sign that states that any gun purchase transaction must be initiated an hour prior to closing time, or something to that affect. Seems right to me.

FWIW I've been in retail/wholesale for the past 20 years. In spite of enjoying what I do, I have a life afterwards that I would like to get to, eventually, if it is not too much trouble...

Yeah but only those who work in retail will truly understand this.

I was there today, it was a little uneasy to say the least. On a lighter note they got some new guns in since Sunday, Glock 22 and 23, M&P 22s, 9C, 40C and 40 VTAC, Bodyguard 380. Looked like some new ARs on the wall as well. It was seriously slim pickings on Sunday.

i've walked into a few shops 20 min before closing told them what i wanted and told them i would pay for it fill out the paperwork and they could run the nics check the next day. they insisted that if i had the cash they would make the call right then and if it went through i would leave with the gun that night. its all about attitude. i wasn't in there kicking tires. i knew what i wanted and was willing to let them close at their regular time. so they stayed 15-20 min later than closing to help me out.

i've never been to shore shot and probably never will go there as its out of my way and range fees are too expensive for me, but no shop deserves this. i hope they can rebound quickly. i personally don't feel safe at public ranges. which i why i belong to 2 private clubs and i'm looking to join a third soon. memberships are usually cheaper and hours are better for me.

i personally don't feel safe at public ranges.

I have never had that problem up until last year. The number of new people purchasing firearms that seem as though their phone is too complicated for them to figure out scares the Bejesus out of me. They are going to cause a problem for us because there is no way the stats for accidental discharges and injuries is not going to go up. There is a new class of gun owner, they are a new breed of novice gun owners that didn't buy their first gun because they decided they wanted one, they bought their first gun because they feared their government would not allow them to buy one in the future if they wanted one. They don't have the requisite interest to put the necessary time into proper training and handling of firearms. This is going to be a problem at some point, there is no question in my mind.

I have never had that problem up until last year. The number of new people purchasing firearms that seem as though their phone is too complicated for them to figure out scares the Bejesus out of me. They are going to cause a problem for us because there is no way the stats for accidental discharges and injuries is not going to go up. There is a new class of gun owner, they are a new breed of novice gun owners that didn't buy their first gun because they decided they wanted one, they bought their first gun because they feared their government would not allow them to buy one in the future if they wanted one. They don't have the requisite interest to put the necessary time into proper training and handling of firearms. This is going to be a problem at some point, there is no question in my mind.

I feel the same. I am questioning now going to any public range to shoot for fear of safety and also because I don't want to have to witness anything like this happening. I luckily have private land I can shoot on as an alternative.

I was there last night. They had a decent amount of people at the counter looking at guns and I assume making purchases.... I was promptly greeted/acknowledged when I walked in the door. While patiently waiting my turn in line I observed the big guy (tiny?) thoroughly and patiently explain how to safely handle and load one of their rentals to a husband and wife team there to use the range. The same thorough instruction was also provided to a couple of what appeared to be first time female shooters who showed up with their own gun still in the original factory cardboard box. Range masters were overheard being made aware of new shooters making their way onto the range. (I've witnessed this communication between the counter staff and range staff on numerous occasions prior.) I observed Range Masters offering assistance and further instruction to shooters in need. (This also seems to be the norm based on my own personal experience shooting there).

Obviously this troubled individual didn't get the help they so desperately needed and it unfortunate that this business its employees and its customers had to be a part of something like this.

Believe it or not insurance premiums for these ranges don't change on suicides, because there are no claims and insurance isn't paid out there is no party to blame. Although someone's family could try to sue, it would be very hard. If I have you fill out a waiver and you decide to rent a gun and blow your brains out you made that decision and there was no way of knowing your actions and I made you waive me of all liability for your actions. Its when accidents happen someone gets shot by another customer or someone gets hurt in some other form does it effect their premium. Because then you can claim hey the range officer should have been watching that one person etc there is a way to direct blame that falls on the business.

I can't believe the liberals are going this far by committing suicide at our ranges to further their cause.

I thought the same thing. Don't think they won't try to take advantage of this. Every disaster = opportunity.

....so as a CO, even a former one,would conceivably already be a gun owner..... Don't make sense and I'm calling BS.

Why?

You didn't hear? The suicide at the bullet hole was a COP!

why would they commit suicide at home when they can do it at the range? can you imagine how horrid memories it would be for anyone who is still living in that house?