tuktuk

groundhog in the backyard>>> what to do

Trapping and relocating him is most probably a violation of some wildlife conservation laws. At least that's what I've been told by a friend who had to move a raccoon from her backyard.

So if you decide to go that way, do it discreetly.

One of my Boxers cornered one in the fenced yard. It jumped up and bit the dog on the face and then climbed over the 54" chain link. Never came in the yard again. With young children, I would trap and remove. They will bite and can have rabies.

You do know that rocks on the head can cause brain damage, paralysis and stuff. :haha:

It wasn't playing dead, you just KO'ed the little dude!

I have no pity for the bastards, they love to destroy my garden. Resilient though. Hypothetically, I tried throwing smoke bombs in its hole a few times to suffocate it. I hit it in the head with a 5lb stone and it played dead but when i went back to pick it up, it was gone. I just saw him again in the spring and he looked like crap so I let him be. I also noticed something happened to it and it is now lame in its back 2 legs. I cant hurt a lame animal. Feels wrong. Although it may be another ruse.

He continually destroyed an entire bed of carrots and tons of broccoli.

Trapping and relocating him is most probably a violation of some wildlife conservation laws. At least that's what I've been told by a friend who had to move a raccoon from her backyard.

So if you decide to go that way, do it discreetly.

This is true you are not allowed to relocate groundhogs but you are allowed to kill it. LOL gota love NJ. Also be careful groundhogs are a "rabies vector species" this means that they are just as likely to have rabies as raccoons and other similar animals. So don't try to pet it in the trap or anything.

they are vegatarians, they won't bother you, they run away when they see people. they will destroy foundations with their tunneling

We have a lot of them on our farm, they pose a threat to our horses because of the holes.

I shoot what I can, and havahart trap the others with broccoli. used cat litter also supposedly chases them away

We had a couple guiys who used to hunt them here and said they were good eatin

Need another guy to hunt them :)

it is uncanny though how a have-a-heart trap will slip right into a 55gal drum full of water, <cough>. Grandpa "had" a skunk problem. I swear some day they will dig on his property and find the over 30 plots in the back yard with them laid to rest, and think my GOD who lived here?!

What is the legality of killing them? Can I take a shot gun and blow them away? I'm more than 450' from my neighbors.

Check your town ordinances. In Wayne you cannot discharge a firearm. Out where you live there might not be a problem.

What is the legality of killing them? Can I take a shot gun and blow them away? I'm more than 450' from my neighbors.

Do you have a hunting license? If so make sure its current and shoot away, if you hunt w/ a ML you can even use a centerfire rifle as long as you have a valid license and rifle permit.

I hunt them with an AR, a mvp in 204r, a remington 541s .22, and a 10/22. The property i hunt dictates which rifle i use. Also going to PU a 20 one of these days for a "walker".

When I last checked the laws:

1) You COULD relocate them to State Park land. You cannot relocate them to private land without the owners permission.

2) You can destroy them humanely, however, drowning was NOT considered humane.

I don't know aobut where the OP lives, but discharge laws prevent me from popping a cap in they ass, yo, and if the the local ASCA guy, Buddy Amato, found out that we were trapping them and otherwise giving them boo boo feelings, he would come over ot my house and cry on me, right after a round house kick to my nads.

So my best advice to the OP is to check iwth your local ordinances and such. My town will actally lend residences a trap. We had a feral cat issue and they were very helpful.

Yeah I live out in Sussex County and I checked the town code and there is nothing about firearms discharge. I hear people shooting all the time.

I think I'll get a hunting license and start shooting the bastards. One of them dug up under my pole barn and started destroying the blacktop.

Yeah I live out in Sussex County and I checked the town code and there is nothing about firearms discharge. I hear people shooting all the time.

My friend, who lives in a discharge friendly locality, digs a hole with a post hole digger, traps the critter, turns upside down over the hole, pop pop, opens the cage, covers teh hole. Rinse and repeat....

damn u guys are funny.

but I prefer not to kill/hurt wildlife.

I will try to talk to my town (not the most helpful bunch of ppl) and see what they say. maybe they will give me a location where I can relocate it .....

EDIT>>>

went on the town's website and found this :

Wildlife traps

Traps can be rented for $10 per day, with a $100 deposit. Animal removal is available for the fee of $40.

This is in Fairlawn? i see thats your location, if it is relocate him to the top of skyline drive he will have plenty of company. thats where we relocated all the ones from my parents in oakland

yes I am.

thank you for the tip!

do you think it's worth going to town's animal control ppl ?