seamusSU

Dumb Question: is it me or the sights?

So I took my Ruger MK I out to the range today and I was very consistently hitting 2-3 inches due left of the center at ~10 m. The groupings were tight so I am trying to figure out if it was my aim or the sights that were causing me to hit left.

How would I go about figuring this out?

Should I find someone more experienced to put some rounds through it and help judge?

I don't want to start trying to sight it in if it's me and not the gun.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

So I took my Ruger MK I out to the range today and I was very consistently hitting 2-3 inches due left of the center at ~10 m. The groupings were tight so I am trying to figure out if it was my aim or the sights that were causing me to hit left.

How would I go about figuring this out?

Should I find someone more experienced to put some rounds through it and help judge?

I don't want to start trying to sight it in if it's me and not the gun.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I'd let someone try your gun before playing with sights

3800d1308498924-no-consistency-pattern-pistol-correction-rh-letter.jpg

Well silverado, fortunately the M&P22 has an adjustable rear sight, so, you know, you can adjust it. :p

Sometimes the sights are in fact, simply off. If you are hitting at your POA with other firearms, and not with one particular one, there is a good chance the sights are off. Either that, or the trigger is the most awful trigger ever made, or all your other firearms have the most incredible triggers, and the discrepancy there is enough to cause you to now suck.

:D

Your skill and the inherent accuracy of the firearm are reflected in how small the groups are (precision). Where the groups are (accuracy) is a function of the sights, and to a small extent the load and the grip ergonomics of the person holding the gun.

In other words, if you are shooting small groups, you are doing your part successfully. If the groups aren't centered, it's always the gun's fault, and the sights will need adjusting.

i have the same problem (slightly to the left). I am thinking its me.. it'll get there with more practice.. this pic was from a few weeks ago... im going to shoot my fathers MP9 this weekend and want to see if im still to the left and see how he shoots it...

a couple outliers but not too bad for only 3rd time shooting

img0532ul.jpg

Use your search on internet type in pistol pie chart sounds stupid I know but it has helped me a some friends. It a pretty simple idea very infomitive it,s a target you can print out shoot it and it tells you what your doing wrong.

Use your search on internet type in pistol pie chart sounds stupid I know but it has helped me a some friends. It a pretty simple idea very infomitive it,s a target you can print out shoot it and it tells you what your doing wrong.

The analysis chart can be found here: http://www.bullseyepistol.com/training.htm

Remember, this is to analyze stray shots that are significantly outside of the group you are shooting--it's not for explaining why your group isn't centered in the bullseye. That's a sight adjustment issue. The chart also assumes you are shooting one-handed. A two hand grip adds stability, but can also add other ways to screw up...