This is for those of you who have questions about the efficacy of air guns for small vermin.

I was unsure of the terminal ballistics of a .177 pellet from a pellet pistol. I attempted to dispatch a rat with the pellet pistol this morning using a Gamo rocket pellet http://www.gamousa.com/product.aspx?productID=80 from my Umarex PX4 replica. http://www.umarexusa.com/airguns/bb-guns/beretta-px4-storm.

My thinking was that I should use a slow moving projectile that wouldn't destroy the house. I guess I should have looked at the ballistics for that pellet before I employed it, because all the projectiles from the pistol failed to adequately penetrate the behemoth rat. Two BBs from the Umarex Morph in rifle configuration with the velocity cranked up put the rat down immediately. I might see what the Predator pellets do to this rat carcass from the pistol, but at this point, I think I'll be looking for an HPA pellet pistol to get the velocity up there for a clean kill.

Rats are tougher then squirels you will find out, that is why .22lr is the ticket for rats. I cant take a squirel, bird or rabbit with a slingshot or pellet gun, but a rat is much, much more reilient.

But, in the house or yard areas a pellet rifle is what you need. I dont think the pistol would have the power needed @ 380fps.

That sucker is 9-1/2 inches long, NOT including the tail. Please note the huge bulging package on that thing. It came up from the basement and groomed itself in front of me on my computer desk.

I took a shot at it (at least I think it was the same one) in the basement with the pellet pistol, and I think I may have connected. Obviously the pellets didn't seal the deal. Thanks to the glue trap, I was able to confirm that this combination of air pistol and pellets is not cutting it.

I have two more that have eluded every type of trap we have set. These suckers chewed right through the sub floor (3/4 inch solid decking) and into the house. They're really wiley, and I don't think they will take poison, but that's a last resort anyway (I'm not big on decaying rodents in house). Since they're not shy about coming up to the main floor while I'm up and about, I'm hoping to take them down with either the air rifle or a high pressure pellet pistol.

Once I eradicate these little contagion bearing nightmares, I'll seal everything up. Once these guys establish a territory, they do not seem to be deterred by blocked passages. I think the mesh thing is unlikely to work, since they already chewed through the braided stainless supply hose for the dishwasher (flooding the house and basement while I was at work).

Try a hunting pellet.

I've had excellent results with the bb tipped pellet from Gamo as well as the re polymer tipped pellet.

Dropped numerous squirrels one shot at 650fps and 1650fps.

Notice the two BB tipped pellets on the glue trap. I think they're probably pretty good; they just need a little more than <380 FPS.

It's not the pellet thats at fault here, it's the 380fps muzzle velocity (under ideal conditions) of that gun. It's a plinker..it is in no way shape or form designed to put any kind of power on target. Try this all over again with a gun that will get that pellet loving 650-1250fps and the results will be devestatign to small vermin,,

Also, is the barrel even rifled on that thing? most guns that advertise the use of BB's aren't. The pellets might of been hitting the rat sideways.

Yes, a BB fired from the rifle with an advertised velocity of 600 fps put him down right away. The barrel on that little guy is actually rifled. Do you think I could add a high pressure source and up the velocity on the pistol enough to make it a rat killer?

ive hunted rats in a few barns for fun dont use bbs they come right back at you at almost the same speed they were shot.my best luck was with a sheridan bluestreak in 20 ,its a pain to find pellets in 20 so id go 22 next time.if you are having problems getting them in a trap or to eat bait try pre baiting or put out a dozen unset rat traps use a bait such as peanut butter or rancid bacon for several days after you are sure they are eating what you are offering set the traps.as far as snap traps use victor exspanded trigger or t rex traps the others hurt like hell when the accidently go off

That's a big friggin rat. Where the hell are you getting them in your house. I've only seen em along creeks and rivers

I think they may have been feeding off a neighbors dog food at one point. I live in Hopatcong.

ive hunted rats in a few barns for fun dont use bbs they come right back at you at almost the same speed they were shot.my best luck was with a sheridan bluestreak in 20 ,its a pain to find pellets in 20 so id go 22 next time.if you are having problems getting them in a trap or to eat bait try pre baiting or put out a dozen unset rat traps use a bait such as peanut butter or rancid bacon for several days after you are sure they are eating what you are offering set the traps.as far as snap traps use victor exspanded trigger or t rex traps the others hurt like hell when the accidently go off

The Sheridan looks pretty compact. I was really hoping to find a pistol that would do the trick, so I can keep it in my pocket. They aren't touching the peanut butter. I have an electric trap, glue traps, and snap traps. I haven't tried rancid bacon. After catching over two dozen, I think I'm down to the last two. They enter the house in a two-rat team. I've seen them together. A few full auto bursts of .22 pellets would put them in their place. :) Who doesn't want a belt-fed .22 air gun?