thug the bunny

Handgun caliber lever action for wife?

So I recently learned that they make lever action rifles in handgun calibers (never knew that before!), and I am thinking of getting a little 16" (mainly) for the wife due to their light weight, maneouverability, and price. However she is pretty petite,5'3", and I'm wondering about the kick. Out of a 16" barrel, what would the order of recoil for: 44 mag, 45 colt, 357?

I'm leaning towards the 44 mag, but I'm thinking it might be a bit much for her..

Go .357 and shoot .38's in it...............that is one sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet little plinker....sorry I sold my marlin in 357............should have never.....

Make a NICE HD CARBINE IMO with .357........she will NOT notice any real kind of 'kick'

Thats my next one in a Henry..

I have a .44 mag Henry, and it really doesnt have that much of a kick.

Rossi 92 16" 8+1, one great little lever action (20" is 10+1, 24" 12+1). Henry is there also, alas a bit more expensive, but made in USA (Bayonne, NJ of all places). Length of pull is short, a plus for petite females. Takes 38 or 357, 38 is the way to go. Lots of fun. There are ways to slick up the action on the Rossi. A little google-fu will get you to the right places. Add Skinner sights. I'd stay away from Marlintons right now, their quality is a little on the low side now from the Remington takeover.

http://www.rossiusa....readcrumbseries=

http://www.henryrepe...fle-big-boy.cfm

What is your budget? I saw a sweet .38 Umberti lever for sale for $800. It is used but looked like it was in very good shape. I don't know how to see if the action is good or has been reworked but it seemed ok on my hands.

Refers to the appx diameter of the loaded brass case. The .38 Spl goes back about 100 years and was preceded by other rounds of appx .38" diameter. Converted .36 caliber cap & ball revolvers shot a .38 cartridge with a heeled bullet of appx .38" and the diameter (not the heeled bullet) carried over into the design of the .38 Spl.

Thats my next one in a Henry..

I have a .44 mag Henry, and it really doesnt have that much of a kick.

I have the Big boy in .357 you feel next to nothing with the .357 round, with a .38 round the recoil is compareable to a paint ball gun.

Well, I looked all over the internet and a couple lgs, and only found one Rossi .357 16" for $700. Found a TON in .45 Colt, and a handful in .44 mag. Just purchased a Rossi .44 mag 16" for $450, and will go with .44 spec for the wife's plinking rounds.

Sounds like you got a good deal. Was it new or used? .44 cal sounds like it will pack some punch with such a short barrel. Let's us know how she shoots. I guess you have to wait a week or two or the NICS to come in if you bought from a dealer.

I got my Rossi 92 in 357 for under $500 from Tony at TJ Sporting Arms a few months ago, but after Sandy Hook shooting. He is a site sponsor. Give him a call.

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2

I shot a friends Henry .45 colt, damn was that one accurate soft shooting rifle, my AR packs 10x the punch that thing did. bench rest At 50 yards with iron sites putting holes in holes. the only thing i didn't like was the front loading magazine tube, but it's simplicity means durability. I yearn for one but there expensive to shoot.

Well I finally got a Rossi M92 .44 mag 16". Wow, it is so compact, agile, and light. The action is pretty slick right out of the box, and became even better with a little lube. It sits in the hands sooo nicely, I can't believe that some folks say it would not be a good (OK maybe not the best or most ideal) HD weapon. I think it is much more agile than any 12ga sprayer. I'm pretty sure it would be very accurate from under the armpit up to 50ft. Plus the fact you can carry it around all day or stick it easily in a backpack and IMO you got a perfect all-purpose gun (shtf, travel, hd, hunting, plinking, etc). I can't wait to take it to PA (along with my new 30-30 Marlin lever) for some deer hunting.

I got some .44 rounds on the way, will report back after feeding some through...

A short barrel carbine is perfect for home defense. I think people probably meant that 44mag is not a good home defense caliber. In most configurations, it has enough momentum to go through bad guys, walls, and can ultimately end up who-knows-where before it has expended all its energy. 44 Special might be a better choice for that job. I have a 357 Rossi M92 and love it. 9 rounds of 125grain JHP is formidable.

Nice choice. I ended up buying the Uberti 1866 Yellow boy .38 cal lever last week. Still sitting in the shop waiting for the "INSTANT" check to come in 3 weeks. This is my first rifle and I am a huge carbine and lever action fan. I was even a fan before the movie Django came out and made everyone lever action crazy. lol  :hunter:

Go .357 and shoot .38's in it...............that is one sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet little plinker....sorry I sold my marlin in 357............should have never.....

Make a NICE HD CARBINE IMO with .357........she will NOT notice any real kind of 'kick'

So I should not sell my 1894 Marlin?  Original Marlin, not a remlin.