thug the bunny

Handgun caliber lever action for wife?

Get rid of that plastic magazine follower nothing but problems.

http://www.thesmithshop.com/magfollow.html

Slick up that action too with a lee's gunslinger kit.

http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/content/p/9/pid/24839/catid/17/Gunslinger_Spring_Kits_Rossi_Navy_Arms_92_lever_guns

A short barrel carbine is perfect for home defense. I think people probably meant that 44mag is not a good home defense caliber. In most configurations, it has enough momentum to go through bad guys, walls, and can ultimately end up who-knows-where before it has expended all its energy. 44 Special might be a better choice for that job. I have a 357 Rossi M92 and love it. 9 rounds of 125grain JHP is formidable.

I understand. The mag rounds I will reserve for hunting and occasional plinking (I was wondering if I zero it at say 70 yds using the mag, will there be much difference in traj using sp?). I will get a brick or two of sp rounds for my wife and HD.

However, I have read bunches of posts (mostly on zombie and prep forums) talking about the cycle time advantage of an auto loader, and having pre-loaded mags, and how the second or two to pop a few more rounds into the gate of a lever action is a deal breaker, etc...IMO, if you are really in a situation where you need to fire 160 rounds consecutively at .5 sec intervals, you are already pretty much toast. I don't plan on fighting the US military or hoardes of zombies. In my mind, the more realistic home invasion scenario is 1 - 5 individuals looking for some free booty, which I'm pretty sure my .44 Rossi and a pocketful of rounds along with my son behind my Ruger 10/22 will be able to handle, God willing!

Just saw a few henry's at Caso's. 22,44,357. I would be all over the 357 if it werent a tube loader.

Also i plan on getting the 464 spx just because its a newer tactical version of my marlin 30-30. old and new. Why not. They are cheap enough

That spx is freaken nice. Might have to get that too and add it to my black rifle family..

Just saw a few henry's at Caso's. 22,44,357. I would be all over the 357 if it werent a tube loader.

Also i plan on getting the 464 spx just because its a newer tactical version of my marlin 30-30. old and new. Why not. They are cheap enough

Sent from John's iPad 2 via Tapatalk HD

Typos courtesy Apple...

Thanks for the input. I think I will go with the .357 if I can find one. They seem to be rarer than the .44s.

One question about shooting .38 out of a .357 - isn't the .38 a larger diameter bullet?

I bought a .45 Colt carbine from EMF (Win 92 clone)  http://www.emf-company.com/store/pc/1892-Carbines-c205.htm  Price on them is good, and i cant complain about the quality i love mine.  One note, because of Import laws they DO have a Firing Pin Block safety on the top of the bolt, so they are not 100% 1892 Clones.

I bought a .45 Colt carbine from EMF (Win 92 clone)  http://www.emf-company.com/store/pc/1892-Carbines-c205.htm  Price on them is good, and i cant complain about the quality i love mine.  One note, because of Import laws they DO have a Firing Pin Block safety on the top of the bolt, so they are not 100% 1892 Clones.

The Rossi top safety can be replaced with a metal filler plug. I replaced mine with a peep sight. I got rid of those buckhorn rear sights. They are good for accuracy but not so much for fast shooting. Check out

www.stevesgunz.com

He makes great accessories for the Rossi's.

Well, I put about 20 rounds of PMC .44 spl through my Rossi 92. Smooth as a gravy sandwich. The action was so smooth I'm almost worried it might become sloppy with use? Wife will definitely be able to handle this. Great fun little carbine - I love it. Gonna get one for my son if he keeps his grades up and does his chores.

Holy crap. I put a bunch of .44mag rounds through the Rossi today and it is a totally different animal than with the spl rounds. Maybe I'm a whimp, but that thing is a beast with doubletap 240gr HPs. Definitely would be too much for the wife. Decent groupings at 100yd though - 8 rounds all within about 8", although a little high and about a foot left.

Speaking of which, how does one adjust windage with fixed iron sights on the Rossi 92?

Holy crap. I put a bunch of .44mag rounds through the Rossi today and it is a totally different animal than with the spl rounds. Maybe I'm a whimp, but that thing is a beast with doubletap 240gr HPs. Definitely would be too much for the wife. Decent groupings at 100yd though - 8 rounds all within about 8", although a little high and about a foot left.

Speaking of which, how does one adjust windage with fixed iron sights on the Rossi 92?

Use a brass punch and drift the front sight a little to the left.

I have a Rossi lever action in .44-40. Nice lever action. Not as much kick as a .44mag. Exensive to shoot though. I only found bullets for it in PA and at Cabela's in PA. I bought it hinking I was going to do some cowboy shooting with it. In hindsight I should have gotten the .45 to go along with the pistol.

I guess that means to tap it until it bends?

No, not until it bends. Tap on the base of the sight to move it in the direction you want within the dovetail - do not put the punch against the side of the sight blade.

No, not until it bends. Tap on the base of the sight to move it in the direction you want within the dovetail - do not put the punch against the side of the sight blade.

Ahh, glad I asked. Thanks Bob.

Another question - I found out that Double Tap is known for making +P style 'hot' rounds like Buffalo Bore, which explains why my fillings almost came out. Will using these rounds put excessive wear on the chamber and bolt of my Rossi?

Ahh, glad I asked. Thanks Bob.

Another question - I found out that Double Tap is known for making +P style 'hot' rounds like Buffalo Bore, which explains why my fillings almost came out. Will using these rounds put excessive wear on the chamber and bolt of my Rossi?

Yes. First, make sure the gun is rated for +P ammunition. Second, make sure that Double Tap is true +P and not +P+. Anything hotter than standard SAAMI pressure rounds will accelerate the wear on your gun's components. +P+ is a real crap shoot because there are no pressure standards.

Adios,

Pizza Bob