ronhonda

Gunfire and explosions at MIT

You have to be careful with transliterations of the Qur'an. There are maybe only a handful (if that) English transliterations that are actually respected. The majority of the versions you find in public bookstores aren't really accepted.

And the other risk you run is taking things out of context. Like the Bible, which I've read (NIV and KJ), anything can be taken out of context and bastardized. Same reason why white-supremacy groups and WBC aren't really taken all that seriously-- why is Islam not given the same thought? Because extremists (who the overwhelming majority of Muslims will speak out against) are victimizing innocents? Reserve your hate for those who commit the act, and not the misinterpretation they do it in.

Sure, defend against those who wish to kill us-- I have no qualms about that, as I partook in that act myself as a servicemember. However, the illogical and illegitimate aspect is when Americans/Westerners demonize Islam and Muslims as a whole. THAT is my issue.

I didn't read his post and interpreted as a whole unless I missed something. Aren't we talking about the scenario at hand or did this thread just go outside the box again with another tangent?

Sure, defend against those who wish to kill us-- I have no qualms about that, as I partook in that act myself as a servicemember. However, the illogical and illegitimate aspect is when Americans/Westerners demonize Islam and Muslims as a whole. THAT is my issue.

Cannot believe they let these two punks shutdown a whole city... One more reason for national CCW...

These punks did not shut down the city that once went to war with the biggest army in the world, our government did. At least we can no longer say they hate us because we are free.

i dont know... for a religion of peace and love, it sure does seem like there are an awful high percentage of it's followers that think their message is best delivered with explosives. Cant say I have heard of to many Sihks, Hindus, Rastafarians, Hebrews, Protestants, Voodooists... get the picture.

I may be wrong, but I don't think it's about converting non-muslims...it's about those who persecute muslims.

Actually, that is an uninformed opinion. Seriously, look into it.

Nobody knows the actual reasons for this violence, so, conclusions now are purely speculation. To say that this is a matter of Islamic extremists is wholly useless. Reaching that conclusion is not far-fetched, sure, I can agree with that-- but to state it as a fact is wrong.

And no, Islam doesn't state that people should "convert or die," or to even attack infidels. So, read the Qur'an or talk to an Imam or a scholar before misstating things.

http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/

http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/Quran/023-violence.htm

We as a species, need to understand that Islam is the fastest growing religion in the world. Period. We integrate Islam=Arab when Islam is growing many times faster in Africa and Far East.

The people that commit these atrocities are radicals. We as gun enthusiasts were on the edge of our seats that this attack could have been "radical" elements of our culture. It does not mean that we even remotely share in the beliefs that would motivate these radicals.

It should be easy for us, more than most, to understand that the actions of radicals don't speak for an entire culture.

Quoting the Quran like that can just as easily be done with the bible. Snake handlers base their beliefs on one sentence and the Westboro baptist church believes its actions are on accordance with the bible. There are many many more violent and xenophobic passages than those.

It still remains that religion is the cause of the most bloodshed in history.

We as a species, need to understand that Islam is the fastest growing religion in the world. Period. We integrate Islam=Arab when Islam is growing many times faster in Africa and Far East.

The people that commit these atrocities are radicals. We as gun enthusiasts were on the edge of our seats that this attack could have been "radical" elements of our culture. It does not mean that we even remotely share in the beliefs that would motivate these radicals.

It should be easy for us, more than most, to understand that the actions of radicals don't speak for an entire culture.

Quoting the Quran like that can just as easily be done with the bible. Snake handlers base their beliefs on one sentence and the Westboro baptist church believes its actions are on accordance with the bible. There are many many more violent and xenophobic passages than those.

+1!

Nobody knows the actual reasons for this violence, so, conclusions now are purely speculation. To say that this is a matter of Islamic extremists is wholly useless. Reaching that conclusion is not far-fetched, sure, I can agree with that-- but to state it as a fact is wrong.

And no, Islam doesn't state that people should "convert or die," or to even attack infidels. So, read the Qur'an or talk to an Imam or a scholar before misstating things.

Hell no I won't read the stupid Quran or speak to a imam. Ill leave that to you and our Muslim brother president.

Very well said

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

There is inherent evil in all men's souls......they use thier religion, their nation, their flag, their sexual orientation...they use anything to justify their actions in their eyes..........

Is there violence in the bible...yes...

Did the Spaniards use the Bible and Christian faith to persecute Jews during the inquisition.....yep.........

There are stories of faith, mostly, being the root cause of violence in the history of the world and as such it will be with us as long as men walk the earth.

However, the ongoing war with Islam is just that, a WAR and interfaith war with a radical sect of one....good bad or indifferent it is once again at our doorstep.

What shall we do....? Run and cower or engage the radicals as fast and often as we can........I subscribe to the latter....

Also the sooner we realize that the radicals of the islamic faith are the ones carrying out these types of attacks.......the better off we will be.......

I am SURE there are many many many many devout muslims that abhor this type of violence and they are just as frustrated as we are......that this type of behaviour is attributed to their religion.

Just to be clear...

I can be just as tolerant as the next guy but I will put anyone in the dirt that threatens my family's life as expeditiously as possible.

The refusal of the more mainstream elements of Islam to "call out" the radical element is tacit support. When a village in Kandahar drags out a Taliban that just planted an IED and shoots him in the head for our forces to see, then will they gain some moral ground.

Because I understand does not make me an apologist.

They interviewed the kids uncle. He was very clear that he did not approve of what they did.

The uncle didn't approve but the father said if the kid dies he will unleash hell on the US. Hmmmm Great role model. And our Government wants to grant amnesty to more of these illegals and terrorist, yeah thats good for us and our country

The refusal of the more mainstream elements of Islam to "call out" the radical element is tacit support. When a village in Kandahar drags out a Taliban that just planted an IED and shoots him in the head for our forces to see, then will they gain some moral ground.

You are CRYSTAL........

I also agree with your statement......there is and has been UNFORTUNATELY too much silence from the more moderate folks in the islamic faith.......and i *personally* think that is why they are having so much trouble....... with run of the mill folks not being more tolerant than they are...........

Actually, eveerytime that something happens and muslims are implicated, every major muslim org/mosque in the US and in the muslim world, publicly condems the perpetrators and their actions.

Also, all the major islamic scholarly orgs, conferences, etc. have issued fatwas (religious legal verdicts) categorically denouncing terrorism and the targeting of civilians.

See for instance:

Muslim Leaders

A Message from the Council on American-Islamic Relations

American Muslim Leaders Condemn Attacks

American Muslims Denouncing Terrorism

American Muslims and Scholars Denounce Terrorism on Anniversary of 9/11

Australian Muslims Condemn Terrorist Attack

Bin Laden Distorts Islam, Islamic Scholars Say

Bin Laden's Idea of 'Jihad' is Out of Bounds, Islamic Scholars Say

British Muslim leaders condemn terrorism

British Muslims Condemn Terrorist Attacks

Canadian Muslims Condemn Terorist Attacks

Islamic Statements Against Terrorism in the Wake of the September 11 Mass Murders

Islamic World Deplores U.S. Losses

Looking for Answers in Islam's Holy Book: What Islamic Scholars Have to Say

Muslim Reactions to Sept 11

Muslim Voices Against Extremism & Terrorism - Part II - Statements by Organizations

Muslim World Condemns Attacks on U.S.

Muslim rulers condemn WTC attacks

New Zealand Muslims Condemn Terrorism

Organization of the Islamic Conference Foreign Ministers Condemn International Terrorism

Quran a Book of Peace Not War, Islamic Scholars Say

Scholars of Islam Condemn Terrorism

Some American Muslims Take a Look at Their Communities' Shortcomings

U.S. Muslim Scholars Condemn Attacks

UK Muslim Leaders Condemn 'Lunatic Fringe'

When is jihad OK? Muslim Perspectives

Specific Muslim Scholars

A Common Word Between Us and You, by 130 Islamic scholars

Attacks on Civilians: Forbidden by Islam, by Shaykh Yusuf Qaradawi

Ayatollah Muhammad Husain Fadlallah of Lebanon condemns Osama Bin Laden, by Ayatollah Muhammad Husain Fadlallah

Bin Laden's Violence is a Heresy Against Islam, by AbdulHakim Murad (Tim Winter)

Defending the Civilians (a fatwa against terrorism), by Shaykh Muhammad Afifi al-Akiti

Expert Says Islam Prohibits Violence Against Innocents, by Shaykh Hamza Yusuf

Grand Sheikh of al-Azhar Condemns Suicide Bombings, by Shaykh Muhammad Sayyed Tantawi

High Mufti of Russian Muslims calls for Extradition of Bin Laden, by Russian Muslim leaders

Iran's Supreme Leader Condemns Attacks on U.S., by Ayatollah Ali Khamanei

Islam and the Question of Violence, by Seyyed Hossein Nasr, Iranian scholar

Jihad and the Modern World, by Dr. Sherman Jackson

Jihad: Its True Meaning and Purpose, by Muzammil H. Siddiqui

Most Prominent Sunni Muslim Scholar Condemns Killing of Civilians, by Shaykh Muhammad Sayyed Tantawi, Grand Imam of Al-Azhar University

Muslim Attitudes about Violence, by Shaykh Muhammad al-Munajjid

Muslim Voices Against Extremism and Terrorism - Part I - Fatwas, by various scholars

Muslim Voices Against Extremism and Terrorism - Part IV A few Quotes, by various scholars

On the Terrorist Attacks, by Imam Zaid Shakir

Prominent Pakistani Cleric Tahir ul Qadri condemns Bin Laden, by Tahir ul Qadri

Reclaiming Islam from the Terrorists, by AbdulHakim Murad, British scholar

Reflections on the National Horror of September 11, 2001, by Muzammil H. Siddiqui

Refutation of Bin Laden's Defense of Terrorism, by Moiz Amjad, Pakistani scholar

Response to a Question about Islam and Terrorism, by Moiz Amjad, Pakistani scholar

Saudi Clerics Condemn Terrorism, by Sheikh Abderrahman al-Sudayes

Saudi Grand Mufti Condemns Terrorist Attacks in U.S., by Shaikh Abdulaziz Al-Ashaikh

Scholars' Statements Regarding The Attacks In The United States, by Shaykh Abdul-Aziz Aali-Shaykh, Grand Mufti of Saudi Arabia and President of the Committee of Senior Scholars, and Shaykh Saleh Al-Lehaydaan, Chief Justice Of The Saudi Arabian Judiciary, and Shaykh Dr. Saaleh Ibn Ghaanem As-Sadlaan, Pres. Higher Studies Dept. Al-Imaam Muhammd Ibn Saud Islamic University

Spanish Muslim Clerical authorities Issue Fatwa against Osamah Bin Laden, by Spanish Muslim leaders

Terrorism Is at Odds With Islamic Tradition, by Khaled Abou El Fadl

Terrorism: Not a doorway to heaven, by Jamil Abdul Razzak Hajoo, of Idriss Mosque, Seattle

The Myth of Islamic Terrorism Exploded, by Shaykh Abdul Azeez bin Abdullah bin Baaz and Shaykh Muhammad Bin Saalih al Uthaymeen

The worst enemies of Islam are from within, by Hamza Yusuf

Top Saudi Cleric Says Attacks on U.S. a Terrible Crime in Islam, by Shaykh Salah al-Lahidan, head of the Islamic Judiciary of Saudi Arabia

Violence Against Innocents Violates Islamic Law, by Imam Siraj Wahhaj

What is jihad? What is terrorism?, by Statement by Muslim scholars

Individual Ordinary Muslims

Special links

A Country United- Poem by a Muslim woman about September 11

Islam Denounces Terrorism- Site of Muslim scholar Harun Yahya

Muslims Against Terrorism- An organization founded by Muslims who stand against the hijacking of Islam by extremists and terrorists

Report: Muslim Celebrities Condemn Attacks- Yusuf Islam (Cat Stevens), Muhammad Ali, Hakeem Olajuwon of the Houston Rockets

Muslim charities who solicited donations to help victims in New York City:

And here are articles by other ordinary Muslims:

A Curse Upon the Brigands Who Kill Children, by Aziz Poonawalla

A Dastardly Act, by Ikram Seghal

A Muslim Surgeon's Prayer for His Fellow Americans, by Aftab Ahmad

Amid simmering religious tension, Muslims denounce killing of Christian family, by (Associated Press report)

Area Muslims slam suicide bombing, by Washington Times report

Bin Laden's Fatwa is a Call to Plunder Not Jihad, by Aziz H. Poonawalla

Defaming, Defiling, and Falsifying Islam: A Condemnation of al-Qaeda, by Frank M. Afflitto, convert to Islam

Does the Quran Sanction Violence?, by Mohamed Elmasry

Hirabah versus Jihad, by Robert D. Crane, convert to Islam

Horrified by What Happened in the U.S., by Ahmad Y. Majdoubeh

Human Nature at Its Worst, by Amir Meshkin

I Believe in Allah and America, by Arsalan Iftikhar

I'm Not the Enemy, by Reshma Memon Yaqub

Islam Demands a Muslim Response to 9/11 (PDF), by Imad-ad-Dean Ahmad

Islam condemns all acts of terrorism, by Daar-ul-Ehsaan

Islam is Not the Source of Terrorism, by Harun Yahya

Islam is Not to Blame, by Omar Sarwar

Islam is a Religion of Peace, Not Terrorism, by Muhammad Ali

Islam: A Home of Tolerance Not Fanaticism, by Yusuf Islam (Cat Stevens)

Islamic Scholars Should Speak Up for the Truth about Islam and Jihad, by Laila Nasheeba-Or

Jihad Means Waging Peace and Justice, by Mohamed Elmasry

May God Touch All of Us with His Infinite Grace, by Susan Abulhawa

Muslim scholars reach out to Pope, by BBC News

Muslims Must Not Let Terrorism Become the Voice of Islam, by Blerime Topalli

My Fatwa on the Fanatics, by Ziauddin Sardar

Not In My Name: A Treatise Against Religious Intolerance, by Richard L. Dixon, convert to Islam

Osama Bin Laden: An Enemy of Islam, by Muqtedar Khan

Press Release, by Khalid Usman, Councillor, Ward 7, Markham, Ontario

Salafi scholars condemn terrorism, by collected by Just your average Muslim

Some Misappropriations of Quranic Verses, by David Dakake, Islamic Research Institute (PDF)

Terror Is Not Islam, by Kari Ann Owen (convert to Islam)

The Meaning of Jihad, by Hesham Hassaballa

The Real Meaning of the Concept of Jihad, by Ahmed Motiar

Twin Towers Viewed from a Western Minaret: Thoughts of a Convert to Islam, by Michael Wolfe

Under Attack, by Imad-ad-Dean Ahmad

What Does the Quran's 'Verse of the Sword' Really Mean?, by Hesham A. Hassaballa

When the innocent are murdered, we all go into the dark with them, by Ziauddin Sardar

Who Hijacked Islam, by Anwar Ibrahim, Malaysian dissident

World's future hinges on peace between faiths, Islamic scholars tell Pope, by Riazat Butt and Martin Hodgson

Messages on Muslims' Websites:

See also: Muslim Imam Offers Words of Prayer at World Trade Center Memorial Ceremony

Bonus: View This Is Islam: "Islam, it's all about peace, terrorism it doesn't teach".

Ongoing: The Council on American-Islamic Relations

In an effort to show that Muslim activism against terrorism didn't stop after 9/11, this section contains press releases and statements by the Council on American-Islamic Relations condemning terrorist attacks. This is a resource in development. Subscribe to CAIR's mailing list to keep up with their latest statements and releases.

American Muslims Condemn Riyadh Bombings - May 23, 2003

CAIR Calls for Release of All Hostages in Iraq - Tuesday, September 21, 2004

CAIR Condemns 'Barbaric' London Terror Attacks - Thursday, July 07, 2005

CAIR Condemns Attack On Seattle Jewish Center - Saturday, July 29, 2006

CAIR Condemns Attack On U.S. Medical Personnel In Yemen - December 30, 2002

CAIR Condemns Attack on US Diplomatic Convoy in Gaza - October 15, 2003

CAIR Condemns Haifa Suicide Bombing - 10/04/2003

CAIR Condemns Hariri Assassination - Monday, February 14, 2005

CAIR Condemns Iraq Church Bombings - Sunday, August 01, 2004

CAIR Condemns Killing of British Hostage in Iraq - Friday, October 08, 2004

CAIR Condemns Murder of American in Saudi Arabia - Friday, June 18, 2004

CAIR Condemns Murder of Margaret Hassan - Wednesday, November 17, 2004

CAIR Condemns School Killings in Russia - Tuesday, September 07, 2004

CAIR Joins 'Call to Action' on Darfur Crisis - Tuesday, August 03, 2004

CAIR condemns Istanbul bombings - Thursday, November 20, 2003

CAIR condemns attacks on civilians - Thursday, March 28, 2002

CAIR condemns hostage-taking by Iraqi insurgents, calls for release of hostages - 4/9/2004

CAIR condemns killings in Iraq, Pakistan - Tuesday, March 02, 2004

CAIR condemns murder of American in Iraq - 5/11/2004

CAIR condemns mutilation of bodies in Iraq - Wednesday, March 31, 2004

CAIR statements on the events of September 11 - (various dates)

CAIR welcomes capture of Saddam Hussein - Sunday, December 14, 2003

CAIR-CAN Condemns Anti-Semitic Graffiti - August 25, 2004

CAIR-CAN Condemns Vandalism of Jewish Homes in Toronto - Friday, March 19, 2004

CAIR-CAN condemns Daniel Pearl killing - Friday, February 22, 2002

CAIR-CAN condemns bomb attack on Passover celebration in Israel - Thursday, March 28, 2002

CAIR-CAN condemns firebomb attack of Jewish school - Tuesday, April 06, 2004

CAIR-CAN condemns gang-rape of woman in Pakistan by tribal court - Friday, July 05, 2002

CAIR-CAN condemns hate graffiti on Edmonton synagogue - Wednesday, December 28, 2005

CAIR-CAN condemns killing of innocent Christian worshippers in Pakistan - Tuesday, October 30, 2001

CAIR-CAN: There is no justification for attacks on innocent people - Thursday, November 14, 2002

CAIR-NJ Offers Condolences to Coptic Community - Monday, January 17, 2005

CAIR: American Muslims Condemn Sectarian Mosque Bombing - 07/05/2003

Canadian Muslim scholars reject Bin Laden's calls for jihad - Monday, October 15, 2001

Canadian Muslims Condemn Recent Khadr Comments That Excuse Terrorism - Friday, March 05, 2004

Canadian Muslims condemn 9/11 terrorist attacks - Tuesday, September 11, 2001

Canadian Muslims condemn anti-Jewish article - Monday, January 12, 2004

Canadian Muslims condemn church attack in Pakistan - Sunday, March 17, 2002

Canadian Muslims condemn vandalism of synagogues - Friday, April 12, 2002

Muslims Condemn Philippines Airport Bombing - Tuesday, March 04 2003

Muslims Offer Help for Victims of Terrorist Attacks - 9/11/01

Muslims condemn anti-Jewish article - Wednesday, January 07, 2004

Muslims condemn anti-Semitic article - 11/8/2002

Muslims to hold 9/11 vigil at U.S. Capitol - Thursday, August 28, 2003

Muslims urged to donate for D.C. sniper victims - Wednesday, October 16, 2002

U.S. Imams Say Iraq Hostage-Takers Violate Islamic Beliefs - Friday, October 29, 2004

U.S. Muslim Group Condemns bin Laden Videotape - 09/11/2003

U.S. Muslims Condemn Madrid Bombings - 03/11/2004

U.S. Muslims call for 9/11/02 "Day of Unity and Prayer" - Tuesday, July 23, 2002

US Muslims Condemn Terrorism in Ad Campaign - March 8, 2003

We repudiate terrorism - Ibrahim Hooper, July 11, 2007

Special: Muslims in the Military

Are American Muslims patriotic? Do they serve their country, or support America's response to the terrorist attacks? Read these stories to find out more

Islam Gains Place in U.S. Military As Ranks of Muslims Grow

Islamic Scholars Say U.S. Muslim Soldiers Must Fight for Country

Muslim soldier dies in Iraq

Muslims In Military: Arab-American proudly serves U.S.

Muslims in military say 'everybody belongs'

Muslims in the U.S. Military are As Loyal As Any, Chaplain Says

Ramadan a Sacred Time for U.S. Muslim Troops

Soldier of Faith

UK Muslims Must Obey UK Law, says Professor Muhammad Abdel Haleem

Plus: American Muslim Armed Forces and Veterans

Also see My Condemnation of the September 11 Terrorist Attacks, Some Quranic Verses on Jihad, and What Islam Really Says about Killing the Innocent.

Actually, eveerytime that something happens and muslims are implicated, every major muslim org/mosque in the US and in the muslim world, publicly condems the perpetrators and their actions.

Also, all the major islamic scholarly orgs, conferences, etc. have issued fatwas (religious legal verdicts) categorically denouncing terrorism and the targeting of civilians.

Words dont mean SHIITE to Muslims. They can lie to anyone they want as long as they are doing it for their religion.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"

They all need to grow a set and stand up.

That list is a few years old, so of course there's been a bunch more since.

This was the statement published by the "Islamic Society of Boston" the day of the bombings:

The Islamic Society of Boston Cultural Center and the Boston-Muslim community are deeply saddened by the tragic occurrence at the Boston Marathon and JFK Library, both icons of our great City. We are concerned for the loss of life and injuries to the victims.

Our prayers and thoughts go out to the victims and their families, to the marathon organizers, runners and fans, and to our Boston community at large.

As Bostonians, and inspired by the values of mercy and justice central to our faith, the American-Muslim community stands ready to help. We have close to 40 ISBCC volunteers on site who are committed to assist in relief efforts and also donate blood. Should the City call upon us, we are also ready to transform the ISBCC into a disaster relief center. Additionally, we extend our spiritual counseling services to any of the victims and their family members.

We hold to the highest standard the human safety and security of our City, its people and its guests. We encourage any Bostonian who sees any suspicious activity or package to report it to the number provided by the Boston Police Chief: 800-494-TIPS

Words dont mean SHIITE to Muslims. They can lie to anyone they want as long as they are doing it for their religion.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"

They all need to grow a set and stand up.

ok

EDIT:

Sorry, my first response was probably too dismisive.

What else can they do? What would you advise? Go out vigilante style and "find the terrorists"?

Why don't you do that, if you think it would help?

All the reports about these two from Boston is that no one, not family, friends, classmates, trainers, again no one, had any clue.

And if you really think that muslims, who just want to live, work and raise their families in America are somehow happy everytime scumbags ike these manage to kill a handful of innocent people, you're way off.

The opposite actually. Everytime something like this happens, they're more upset than the rest of us. And for good reason. It's both an attack on their country AND another incident that makes the tinfoil wackos feel justified in their hatred and paranoia.

Really, there's no worldwide islamo-conspiracy to overtake America, lol.

The vast majority of Muslims want nothing other than what we do: Earn a living, buy a home, educate our kids and hope they have it better than we do.

And I say this with confidence because I actually know a fair number of Muslims. Everyone of them is a loyal American (more than a few are former military and/or current law-enforcement).

In places like Afghanistan, we've made the progress we have because Afghans on the ground have been helping us since day one.

Speaking of overseas, wanna guess who are the biggest targets and victims of radical "muslim" terrorism worldwide? That's right, other Muslims, by a lot. You really think that regular, everyday muslims don't hate these people more than we do?

That's ridiculous. As ridiculous as condemning all White southerners who didn't take up arms against the Klan in the 1950s for not 'doing enough'. You know, "good men doing nothing" and all that...

If you hold all people of Islamic faith responsible for the actions of a few....you also have to hold all Christians responsible for the Crusades, the persecution of the Jews, and the extermination of the native people of the Americas.....AND, you have to hold all gun owners responsible for the actions of the mass killers.

I had the pleasure of working with someone who was Islamic, and he was kind enough to sit down and explain his religion to me one day.

As someone said above....holding them responsible for the actions of the extremists is just like equating all Christians to the Westboro Baptist Church.

The majority of homicide in this world has been done in the name of God.

It's extremely sad.