Montoya

Is my brother allowed to be in the store while I purchase?

he has to sit in the car, alone, with his hands folded and his head down. he is not allowed to enter the store, or to talk to anyone in the parking lot. when you bring the gun home, he must be separate from the gun and ammo. he needs to be in the trunk, with his hands securely tired or fastened. you must also inform every cop, passing car or pedestrian that you are carrying a firearm and a non-FID holder. separately. you may then only speak to him again at a range, under supervision, separate from the gun and ammo.

I just pissed myself. Thanks-I needed the laugh after my car blowing up today, and having to take a day off work to go talk to the Trenton idiots next week.

Sounds like you are talking about the Administrative Assistant in my office. He had to go to another FFL, but now he wants to get her a new gun. She has the FID, but I don't think she has done a P2P.

Yeah Russ, it was her.. But i dont want to get HER a new gun.. I want to get a new gun that she will be comfortable shooting when we go to the range.. :p

in fact, that gun will be the M&P22.. Also going to be getting the M&P 15-22.. she enjoyed shooting my dad's .22 Marlin over the weekend

Also, it is the law that anyone who comes in to handle a firearm is to have at least a Firearms ID card.

That is another rule that is sometimes not followed to the letter of the law.

[citation needed]

I have seen a hand full of shops make up this rule, but I have never seen it written in any law book.

Shame we live in a state that makes us out to be the criminal, where questions like this cross a persons mind. The eye opener for me was when i was at Cabela's. You can walk around and pick up long guns to hold and look at without anyone in there giving you the hairy eyeballs. You see moms and dads in there with sons and daughters. It's as much a natural part of their lives as driving a car or going to the food store. Here, we have to fight to uphold a constitutional right, and have to jump through hoop after hoop to just prove we are normal people.

I am not surprised that someone asked this question. While FFLs I met are generally very friendly, there are FFLs out there who over think what the BATF agent told them. Its their license, so they can do what they want. One FFL told me that he had to ask lot of questions every time more than one person shows up.

Go to a FFL you did business before or someone who supports these forums and knows what everyone is taking about.

Anyone that the gun shop permits to be in the shop can be there regaurdless of if they are with you or not, thats irrelivent. NJ law does not touch on that subject at all. How ever If the person with you does not have a FID do not let them hold or even touch the firearm!!! That would not only by the letter of the law be transfering it to them, but I would bet money that the shop rep would go totally balistic and throw you both out.

Anyone that the gun shop permits to be in the shop can be there regaurdless of if they are with you or not, thats irrelivent. NJ law does not touch on that subject at all. How ever If the person with you does not have a FID do not let them hold or even touch the firearm!!! That would not only by the letter of the law be transfering it to them, but I would bet money that the shop rep would go totally balistic and throw you both out.

While shops can and do throw people out for a variety of reasons, there s no NJ law that says that you or any person who is able to obtain a FID or pistol permit from holding a firearm in a store.

Case in point,

A NY resident wants to buy a gun from a NJ dealer. Assuming that he's not a prohibited person as defined by ATF there's no reason he can't hold a gun, buy the gun and take possession from a NY dealer.

He neither has an FID or desires to obtain one but could certainly handle a firearm n a NJ shop.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

While shops can and do throw people out for a variety of reasons, there s no NJ law that says that you or any person who is able to obtain a FID or pistol permit from holding a firearm in a store.

Case in point,

A NY resident wants to buy a gun from a NJ dealer. Assuming that he's not a prohibited person as defined by ATF there's no reason he can't hold a gun, buy the gun and take possession from a NY dealer.

He neither has an FID or desires to obtain one but could certainly handle a firearm n a NJ shop.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

True....... But the counter guy has no way of knowing if you are a prohibited person when your looking....... I'm not sure if there is an NJ law about handing a gun to some one looking in a gun shop other than the ATF prohibited person list. All I know is EVERY time I've gone into a gun shop, a gun would not even come out of the case untill the counter guy saw my FID (I suppose a card from any state would suffice)...... I wonder if a NJ dealer would show/let a person from out of state handle a firearm if that person were from a state that only required a resident DL to puchase?

True....... But the counter guy has no way of knowing if you are a prohibited person when your looking....... I'm not sure if there is an NJ law about handing a gun to some one looking in a gun shop other than the ATF prohibited person list. All I know is EVERY time I've gone into a gun shop, a gun would not even come out of the case untill the counter guy saw my FID (I suppose a card from any state would suffice)...... I wonder if a NJ dealer would show/let a person from out of state handle a firearm if that person were from a state that only required a resident DL to puchase?

Unless I know that you are, or have reason to believe that you are, a prohibited person, I will assume that you are not. You may touch my firearms.

Is this thread still alive?

Posted 26 April 2013 - 05:36 AM

JT Custom Guns, on 23 April 2013 - 10:40 PM, said:

Also, it is the law that anyone who comes in to handle a firearm is to have at least a Firearms ID card.

That is another rule that is sometimes not followed to the letter of the law.

[citation needed]

I have seen a hand full of shops make up this rule, but I have never seen it written in any law book.

Still waiting to hear about the law that requires an FPID to handle a firearm in a gun shop.

Yea from my experience, a person coming with you was no problem at all.  Just introduced my brother to the sales rep and told him that he is a firearm enthusiast as well and wanted to window shop while I purchased my Glock.

But as for the FPID to handle firearms, yea every single place I've been to has been pretty strict about actually producing the FPID to hold the guns in your hands.  They were fine with me browsing, but they won't take it out of the display case the days I didn't have my FPID with me.  (As EMT_SAR mentioned, even the store that I have purchased guns from in the past)