Montoya

Is my brother allowed to be in the store while I purchase?

Will it look bad?

NO.

You are seriously over-thinking this. Whenever I buy a gun, if my buddy is with me, I show him the gun let him finger it and get his opinion on it. He might notice something that I may miss.

Does you brother have tattooed tears?

Or a red bandana hanging from his back pocket?

Or smells like liquor?

If you answered yes to any of my questions, then it's better to have him sit in the car and wait.

That's an unfair stereotype.

NO.

You are seriously over-thinking this. Whenever I buy a gun, if my buddy is with me, I show him the gun let him finger it and get his opinion on it. He might notice something that I may miss.

Also good advice for meeting women.

No. If you are buying the gun for yourself it doesn't matter.

Many firearms owners bring a friend either as an information source or just for support.

I guess gun owners are lke women, next thing you know you guys will be going to the bathroom in pairs

I have an FID and a P2P, my brother is interested in coming with me to the store just to look around and see the process first hand. Is this allowed? Or does he have wait outside or something?

This is scary.

Not the question, but the fact that someone thought it had to be asked.

Didn't I read a while back that a FFL nixed a transfer because a forum member didn't have his FID yet and he was in the store with his wife who was getting the firearm? She had her FID but the FFL claimed straw purchase.

Didn't I read a while back that a FFL nixed a transfer because a forum member didn't have his FID yet and he was in the store with his wife who was getting the firearm? She had her FID but the FFL claimed straw purchase.

Sounds like you are talking about the Administrative Assistant in my office. He had to go to another FFL, but now he wants to get her a new gun. She has the FID, but I don't think she has done a P2P. Was talking to the FFL and he was livid about Bloomberg sending ???? in to make straw buys. And now I saw a report that part of the new NJ legistlation is to send ???? in to make straw buys.

Which is why I'm here and probably should keep my mouth shut. Still waiting on my FID and P2P. Not much hurry on the paper work until the shelves are restocked.

I have an FID and a P2P, my brother is interested in coming with me to the store just to look around and see the process first hand. Is this allowed? Or does he have wait outside or something?

he has to sit in the car, alone, with his hands folded and his head down. he is not allowed to enter the store, or to talk to anyone in the parking lot. when you bring the gun home, he must be separate from the gun and ammo. he needs to be in the trunk, with his hands securely tired or fastened. you must also inform every cop, passing car or pedestrian that you are carrying a firearm and a non-FID holder. separately. you may then only speak to him again at a range, under supervision, separate from the gun and ammo.

"Straw law" applies to someone legally able to buy but is in fact buying for someone not legally able to buy. Years back s&w suggested a bunch of insane rules including not even allowing anyone under 18 near gun counters, they have since turned back to being pro gun. If any shop cant tell you from a Camden crack girlfriend buying the cheapest 40 cal for her boyfriend take your cash elsewhere.

he has to sit in the car, alone, with his hands folded and his head down. he is not allowed to enter the store, or to talk to anyone in the parking lot. when you bring the gun home, he must be separate from the gun and ammo. he needs to be in the trunk, with his hands securely tired or fastened. you must also inform every cop, passing car or pedestrian that you are carrying a firearm and a non-FID holder. separately. you may then only speak to him again at a range, under supervision, separate from the gun and ammo.

this is funny....

In these times of unrest in the gun business every dealer is made to be aware of Straw Purchases.

If the owner. manager, or gun counter employee even thinks you may be purchasing a gun for the

person you are with - they are instructed to decline your business.

that being said, some will adhere to the rules and some will turn a deaf ear (so to speak).

Also, it is the law that anyone who comes in to handle a firearm is to have at least a Firearms ID card.

That is another rule that is sometimes not followed to the letter of the law.

There is nothing in the law that says you cannot bring a friend or relative with you to look at guns.

just coach your companion not to say things that could trigger (pardon that pun) suspicion, like saying

"I can't wait to shoot this thing" or " I really want one of these" ect.

Just tell them you visually observe, offer opinions but stay neutral on possession issues and you will have no problems,

Good Luck!