Rysdad

Handgun for wife

HI guys,. I need some advice. After finally getting all her stuff together my wife is finally going to get her FPID. Now the hard part, fInding her a gun.

After checking out my guns she wants the following:

Polymer frame (light) I know... I told her heavy would be easier to control. I will encourage her to shoot first.

Hammer fired

Safety

9mm or smaller

Full sized or compact

nice sights

under 500$... maybe a little more. I can help her out...

Must be easy to chamber a round. My CZs seem too hard for her to operate. I think time and practice would fix that.

ease of use and safety are her important features.

What do you suggest?

My wife bought a Ruger SR9 as her first pistol. She had been shooting casually for a couple years, but wanted her own pistol. New they can be a bit hard to rack the slide, but after about 300 rounds and storing the slide locked back to soften the spring for 10 days, it is pretty easy to slide. She shoots it very well, absorbs recoil pretty well. She looked hard at a Berreta PX4 Storm, loved about 85% of it, but in the end was turned off by the DA/SA action. She looked hard at a Glock 19 Gen 4 too, but in the end felt recoil was a bit too "sharp". She likes striker or SA style triggers.

Lock, stock and barrel, NICS, taxes, and a box of ammo, etc. it was $520.

Of course she loves full-size 1911's too! A full-size stainless frame .45 1911 has less felt-recoil for her! Downside, heavy after 50-75 rounds at the range (and price!)

Beretta PX4 in 9mm has all that she is looking for.

And disassembly for cleaning is done in 5 seconds, no joke.

I was thinking the same thing. And it comes with 2 magazines and adjustable back straps to fit almost any hand size.

Ruger SR9 or SR9C

Over budget....

Consider an S&W M&P 9 w/ a safety. It's striker-fired, but still...

I have to apologize, from the thread title I thought you wanted to trade your wife for a handgun. FWIW, not owning a single gun yet, the PX4 compact sounds like it meets your criteria. A friend of mine owns the full size, says it's light, handles well, is accurate and safe. Good luck.

What ever firearm you two finally choose, please include the young lady in the process. We made the mistake of deciding that I alone would do the research,legwork and final choice of the correct gun for us only to find out that the slide was too difficult fro her to rack and muzzle flip too pronounced for an effective follow up shot or 3.

She finally decided that an all steel, 3 inch barreled .357 snubby was the best alternative for her and now not only is she comfortable shooting the gun but has become quite proficient and accurate at 21 feet.

She will make the decision 100%. I long ago quit making choices for her. Learned my lesson...

She actually went through all this on her own. I may have suggested .it a while back but then she surprised me by actually doing it!

Revolver?

I'd suggest taking her to a range that rents guns and trying out several.

Many years ago, I thought a Beretta 84 (prettiest little gun in the world!) would be "prefect" for my wife, so that's what I bought. The problem is that she doesn't have the upper body strength to rack the slide, even of a pistol that small. (My daughter, who's athletic, can't rack the Beretta, either.) My wife ended up with a .357 magnum Ruger GP100 revolver which is huge in her hands but she can load and shoot it. And hit things. (Albeit with .38 Special ammo.)

One of the coolest full-size 9mm guns made for women with a polymer frame right now is the S&W M&P Julie Golob. Probably at the high end of your price range and striker fired but it is one of the most popular choices lately (if you can find one).

Two negatives though, standard capacity is 17 rounds so you get the 10 rounders in the PRJN and I have never seen one with a manual safety. Personally I do not suggest anyone purchase a firearm with a manual safety unless you plan on training with the pistol a lot. In the heat of a situation if you are not properly familiar with it a manual safety can be the different between you or the bad guy surviving.

http://www.smith-wes...playErrorView_Y

220073_01_md.jpg

Good topic, I hope to find some good suggestions here as well since my wife will be getting her own 9mm also. One thing I found interesting in the OP's post was this: "Budget under $500, maybe a little more..I can help her out" <---- Do you keep your finances separate or something? (not that it's any of my business, I just thought the statement was interesting). I thought all married men knew that what is their money is really her money! :)

+1 for the Buckmark. I have one on layaway because I have to wait for OGAM to pass on May 8. Gun is super solid and well made and the mags are very easy to find. I have not fired it yet but from what I hear they are tack drivers.

I was at Shore Shot today and they have a 9mm Sig 226 Elite. Over $1k but it is the first 226 I have seen in months. The nice thing about the 226, 229 or 220 is that you can purchase the factory .22LR caliber conversions for them.

Good topic, I hope to find some good suggestions here as well since my wife will be getting her own 9mm also. One thing I found interesting in the OP's post was this: "Budget under $500, maybe a little more..I can help her out" <---- Do you keep your finances separate or something? (not that it's any of my business, I just thought the statement was interesting). I thought all married men knew that what is their money is really her money! :)

Shhhhhh. What is wrong with you? I get to keep a few hundred a pay period now. well... I used to.