MonmouthShooter

Rifle suggestion, anyone?

Let's suppose that the budget and the cost of the cartridges was not an issue. If you were to buy a bolt action rifle to shoot at the range, what rifle and caliber would you go with?

The only thing I already decided is that I want bolt action. I used to shoot a bolt action rifle as a kid, and am kinda nostalgic about it. Everything else is up in the air.

How about availability of cartridges? In times like these, a nice hunting caliber would have easier ammo availability. Something like a .243 Winchester? Wide selection of firearms available in that caliber. Savage is a good one to look at - accu-trigger and good factory accuracy. Just a thought.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

For cost and accuracy I would suggest the Savage. Excellent trigger, and very accurate out of the box, and depending the model you choose, stainless vs blue, wood vs composite, these choices would vary the price. The Remington 700's are also a good choice but they are generally more expensive. If you are thinking of hunting (depending on the game, deer size) or want the rifle to be tactical, the 308 Winchester or 30-06 SPFLD rounds are hard to beat. For bigger game I would look at the 300 Win Mag or the 338 Win Mag, but those cartridges can be more expensive. If you are thinking of using it for varmint sized critters, .223 is a good choice, especially if you have an AR, you can use the same ammo in both rifles.

I personally have an early model Savage 116, (no accu-trigger) in 338 Win Mag. Quality ammo costs about $50+ a box of 20, but I get 3/4" groups with it @ 100 yds. My furthest shot was a tad over 400 yds and I dropped an Elk with one shot. I have a friends with newer model Savage rifles and they also have excellent accuracy with they're rifles. As an example a Trophy Hunter 111XP is going for msrp $675 with a Nikon 3X9 scope.

There are many different makes, models and calibers to choose from. Good Luck!

If budget weren't an issue, I wouldn't buy 2 or 3.

In 22lr, a CZ or a Savage.

Then 223 or 308, a Savage or a Remington 700.

Much of target shooting is practicing techniques. A lower recoil, like a 22lr or 223, is helpful in ingraining techniques.

I have a Browning 7mm Magnum in NICS purgatory. Once it's out I can get a set of rings and a scope and try it out. Already have plenty of ammo sitting here waiting for the ride.

PS: Also have two CZ527's sitting with it, one in .223 and one in 7.62x39, but they are carbines, not rifles.

Model 700 SPS Tactical AAC-SD - "It’s hard to go to any rifle range, gun store, competition or class without seeing a Remington 700 on the line. The 700 has been our country’s primary sniper rifle for years and is one of the most popular police sniper rifles in service. In mid 2010 Remington teamed up with Advanced Armament Corp. to make some changes to the tried and true Model 700.

The designation of the new Model 700 makes this collaboration clear. The rather long name is the “Model 700 SPS Tactical AAC-SD”. Model 700 is self explanatory. The lineage is pretty clear when you look at the rifle. SPS indicates that the rifle is a hinged floor plate and plastic stock. Remington “Tactical” models come with a 20” barrel as opposed to the 24” or 26” on most 700’s. AAC notes the involvement Advanced Armament Corporation had in the development of the rifle. “SD” is a nod to the fact that the rifle is intended to host a sound suppressor or “Schalldämpfer” in German. SD is a designation that was used on the suppressed version of the famous MP-5 sub machinegun. The 700 SPS AAC-SD is only available chambered in .308 Winchester.

The two features that really set the 700 AAC-SD apart from the others is the 1:10 twist barrel and threaded muzzle. The faster twist barrel is more suited to the long/heavy bullets used in precision rifle shooting. The muzzle is threaded 5/8”-24 tpi. This is a US industry standard for .30 caliber muzzle brakes, flash suppressors and silencers. This brings us back to the first feature. The 1:10 twist barrel is better suited for stabilizing sub-sonic .308 ammunition.

The receiver of the 700 AAC-SD is a standard Remington short action, like you would find on any of the other .308 models. The steel parts are covered in a matte blue finish. This gives a nice flat black color. The receiver and barrel are set into a Hogue Overmolded stock. The exterior of the stock is a tacky rubber that enhances grip. The color is advertised as "Ghillie Green". However it's really more of a swirly grey. It is equipped with aluminum pillars to give the action screws something solid to pull against. The buttstock has a nice cushy recoil pad and a single sling stud. The forend is equipped with one sling stud. Either a bipod or sling may be attached. I would have liked to see two forward studs as found on the other heavy barreled SPS models. As it comes out of the box the barrel is free floating in the stock.

The trigger guard is a cast aluminum hinged version allowing for quick unloading. The trigger is the Remington X-Mark Pro Adjustable. It came set at approximately 4lbs from the factory and can be adjusted by the set screw in the upper portion of the trigger bow. The break is extremely clean and crisp with very little over travel. The safety is located on the right side of the bolt shroud as it is on all right handed 700's." - John McQuay

P1180671-900x601.jpg

Let's suppose that the budget and the cost of the cartridges was not an issue. If you were to buy a bolt action rifle to shoot at the range, what rifle and caliber would you go with?

The only thing I already decided is that I want bolt action. I used to shoot a bolt action rifle as a kid, and am kinda nostalgic about it. Everything else is up in the air.

What distance?

Iron sights or Scope?

Depends. What caliber do you want?

I say that a 223 bolt rifle is one of the best rifles out there. When things were normal, you could go through a few boxes cheaply and it wouldn't kill your Shoulder. Savage and Remington are always good choices.

Plus a cheapo Mosin is always fun.

I'll throw in a vote for a .243 Winchester....you could probably pick up a 700 SPS fairly cheap. Low recoil, so you can shoot all day.

.243 is about the only ammo I've consistently seen on the shelf recently, besides 270.

EDIT: Oh, budget ISN'T an issue....

Then yea....go for the 700 AAC-SD in 308. Heard nothing but outstanding things about them.

Thank you all for your feedback!

After reading everyone's responses, I decided that I will go with a .308 caliber. As for the rifle, It will be between Remington 700 AAC-SD, Titka T3 TAC, or Savage 16/116, depending on what I can find.

Isn't the .308 is a pricey round for target shooting? I was thinking of going with a .223 or .243 rifle to play with at the range for myself.

Isn't the .308 is a pricey round for target shooting? I was thinking of going with a .223 or .243 rifle to play with at the range for myself.

And a .308 or .223/5.56 really doesn't address the problem of ammo availability - both calibers in high demand and short supply.

You're going to need .308 for more than just target shooting. You will need it for long range when SHTF.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

And a .308 or .223/5.56 really doesn't address the problem of ammo availability - both calibers in high demand and short supply.

Buy as much as you can. . 308 for long range and 5.56 for mid range

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I'd suggest starting with a Remington 700 in .308. It's just such a perfect platform. If you aren't going to hunt and carry it around all day then get a heavy (a.k.a. bull barrel) for target accuracy. The best thing about getting a $700 dollar rifle is you really can spend 2 or 3 times as much on a scope if you want deadly target accuracy out far.

I'd suggest starting with a Remington 700 in .308. It's just such a perfect platform. If you aren't going to hunt and carry it around all day then get a heavy (a.k.a. bull barrel) for target accuracy. The best thing about getting a $700 dollar rifle is you really can spend 2 or 3 times as much on a scope if you want deadly target accuracy out far.

Yep....although I'll always throw in the obligatory plug for the 7mm-08, a 308 case necked down to 7mm (284).

However budget is always a constraint, the more you have the more you want. Buds is offer a HOWA targetmaster package - 20" Heavy barrel 308 @ $699 cash price. It includes a Nikko Sterling Targetmaster 4-16x44, a 10 round detachable magazine and 6"-9" bipod.