MonmouthShooter

Went to Range 14 for the first time

I decided to look for a place to shoot outdoors and with Range 14 being about 40 minutes away, I decided to go there and take a look.

The place was great! The people working at the office were extremely helpful answering all my questions, and the membership price / range fee are pretty reasonable. $60 to join, $4/hour per person (up to 3 guests allowed) to shoot. So all I needed is 1 membership, and my wife and 2 kids can shoot with me without their own memberships.

The Range Officer was loud and obnoxious, in other words was doing a good job keeping everyone on their toes :) I made a noob mistake (nothing serious) and got yelled at. No problem, will not do that again!

Overall, I loved the place, and will be heading there on nice weather weekends, but will still do the majority of my shooting at my home range (Brick Armory).

Here is a noob question that I forgot to ask the guys at Range 14: What the hell do I do with my spent rounds? Do I pick them all up and just throw them in the garbage? I have no use for them myself, and they dont have a bucked for them. Do I just leave them? Any suggestions? Feel kinda stupid with this one.

If you want to keep your brass then you pick up anything behind the firing line. Otherwise you leave it and I think someone collects it. Usually I try to clean up as much as I can before i just to be neat.

They sell targets on stands. I usually bring extra targets to staple over them for a fresh start.

Do they sell any ammo or targets there? Was it crowded? Looking to join an outdoor range for some rifle shooting.

They sell targets, but not ammo. When I went there, there was plenty of lanes open, but I hear from everyone that that is not the norm, and usually you have to wait.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback about the spent brass.

I love this range. I was there for 3 hours today, my favorite part is bringing everything and setting up lots of targets at different distances. Plus you can bring anything to shoot, as long as its not gonna shatter or shred and is non perishable. I bring soda cans (full) and they are fun. People bring real estate signs, clay pigeons, plastic bottles, etc etc.

Place looks awesome. Looking for something outdoors for some rifle and shot gun shooting. Can't beat the price.

Does anyone know how to get there if you are driving on 539 towards freehold? I drive past the national guard base everyday but wonder how to get over there from that road.

Honestly if you think the range is that awesome, you guys haven't been to private ranges where you can do a lot more.

Cease Fires every 15 minutes are very distracting - it's hard to keep a good rhythm when shooting.

ROs actively go out and look at your targets and yell at you if you even look like you're getting too close to your table - even if I was by my cart with all my other junk on it. They also go down and look at your stuff at the tables when you're out at cease fire...

After each cease fire they have to fire off a whole spiel about hearing protection, red line, etc...

I let my membership expire there for a reason.

Honestly if you think the range is that awesome, you guys haven't been to private ranges where you can do a lot more.

Cease Fires every 15 minutes are very distracting - it's hard to keep a good rhythm when shooting.

ROs actively go out and look at your targets and yell at you if you even look like you're getting too close to your table - even if I was by my cart with all my other junk on it. They also go down and look at your stuff at the tables when you're out at cease fire...

After each cease fire they have to fire off a whole spiel about hearing protection, red line, etc...

Well you are right, I have never been to a private range. I was toying with the idea of either citizens in east Windsor or old bridge. If you have been to both can you offer guidance or suggestion about pros/cons of those two?

Well you are right, I have never been to a private range. I was toying with the idea of either citizens in east Windsor or old bridge. If you have been to both can you offer guidance or suggestion about pros/cons of those two?

I belonged to Citizen's for many years, until I moved out of the area. I liked it a lot. The pistol/smallbore rifle ranges are it's best assets...one indoor with movable target carriers for any range out to 25 yards, the other indoor with turning targets fixed at 25 yards (but you can move up on that line). The outdoor range has turning targets at 25 yards, and fixed at 50 yards. They have one outdoor trap house; unfortunately, their rifle range got neutered during battles with the neighbors. First the 200 yard line was shut down, followed a couple of years later by the open 100 yard line. They now have a couple of concrete pipes to fire through from 100 yards. At least, that was the status when I was last there a couple of years ago.

Old Bridge is the way to go - especially since you're in EB. The only downsides are the initial outlay of money and the work hour requirement. OBRPC has a 25 yard Indoor range that's accessible 24 hours a day. The outdoor range has a sporting clay range, nice open pits and a 100 yard covered range.

Unless the rules have changed I have never had any RO say something to me or look at my stuff. I even had one let me police myself when no one else was on the pistol range.

For the price you cannot beat it really. You can bring anything too. I have seen guys shoot Civil war cannons to .50cal machine guns off the back off their pickup tailgates. I used to bring watermelons and pumpkins too, but I think they stopped that because people left the fruit out on the field.

I guess it all depends on the RO on duty, how many people there, etc. My only gripe is I wish they had more hours open. It can get pretty crowded on a weekend. Where else can you your AR and then go over the the trap shoot range with your shotgun? Short of a private club....

Unless the rules have changed I have never had any RO say something to me or look at my stuff. I even had one let me police myself when no one else was on the pistol range.

For the price you cannot beat it really. You can bring anything too. I have seen guys shoot Civil war cannons to .50cal machine guns off the back off their pickup tailgates. I used to bring watermelons and pumpkins too, but I think they stopped that because people left the fruit out on the field.

I guess it all depends on the RO on duty, how many people there, etc. My only gripe is I wish they had more hours open. It can get pretty crowded on a weekend. Where else can you your AR and then go over the the trap shoot range with your shotgun? Short of a private club....

I've had similar issues as Krdshrk at Range 14.  It is a pretty cool place but it could be a lot better if the ROs were not on a power trip. 

+1

Collect the brass if you want. Else leave it and the RO sweeps after your session. No one rakes or sweeps as you shoot or ceasefire. maybe the old guy is gone though there is an old bearded guy. Could be him but reformed over time. Ceasefire can be distracting but once you get the rhythm you can use the time to load mags as long as you are doing it away from the firing line. So leave the table with mags and ammo when they call ceasefire. Or you will be left twirling your thumbs.

I'm a member at Old Bridge.  Anytime you want to come and take a look, I can guest you in, OR take a peek at our club's web site:   www.obrpc.org   and read the newsletter and check the club calendar for the league schedule.  The leagues are open to the public--just bring eyes and ears.  If you're NOT a complete Noob and want to shoot a league, just phone the league chair for COF info and what gun to bring.  How more simple and friendly could it get??

Work Hours are just a little "sweat equity", most are fun to do as you meet folks that shoot other stuff you want to get involved with, and it averages only an hour a month AFTER you become a FULL MEMBER!  NO Work Hours during your probationary 6 months.  It's NOT a big deal.  All it means is that you need to roll yer sleeves up and pitch-in every-so-often to keep the place nice by doing your share.  IF you can't do any or all, there is an option to buy them out, so we even have that covered.  

Instead of burnin' $4 a gallon gas sitting on the Parkway, put that money towards your dues.  If you shoot a couple times a month it's a break-even, and if you shoot more often than that, you're savin' some coin!  You ain't lived until you join a Private Club, and OB is just minutes away from EB, so it's a NO-BRAINER, lol!

Do they have a non member daily rate there? Like a trial day? 

NO, they don't!  We're not a commercial operation, just a club that holds Matches.  We have a Non-Member minimum Match Fee of only $20.  So on the 3rd Sunday (for instance) you could have shot the entire Match (Real Deal Static Steel) --all day long--for only $20 American!  But you have to have SOME experience and be SAFE.  The Matches aren't designed to teach you which way to put the rounds into your gun or where to point your muzzle, they're designed to offer our members a combination of camaraderie and FRIENDLY competition in an extremely SAFE environment.  We're very beginner-friendly, but the basics of Gun Safety have to already be ingrained into your head!  In other words, you can show-up and not have to worry about being swept by every Newbie in the Range---and that's a very comforting feeling when you don't know the experience level of everybody at a Range!

Joining a Private Club is like becoming part of a family.  Best advice I can give is to come and see it for yourself.  PM me and we can exchange cell numbers and chat, since I don't want to write a book to fill you in on all that you're missing.......

Dave

I've had similar issues as Krdshrk at Range 14.  It is a pretty cool place but it could be a lot better if the ROs were not on a power trip. 

I've never had a problem with the RO's at Range 14.. the ceasefires and announcements can get annoying but not that big a deal.  Can't beat the price, either.   I don't shoot enough to justify a large upfront cost.  There's also the fact that it's the only outdoor range near me.. SJSC is a little further, but a lot longer away due to traffic.

I'm a member at Old Bridge.  Anytime you want to come and take a look, I can guest you in, OR take a peek at our club's web site:   www.obrpc.org   and read the newsletter and check the club calendar for the league schedule.  The leagues are open to the public--just bring eyes and ears.  If you're NOT a complete Noob and want to shoot a league, just phone the league chair for COF info and what gun to bring.  How more simple and friendly could it get??

Work Hours are just a little "sweat equity", most are fun to do as you meet folks that shoot other stuff you want to get involved with, and it averages only an hour a month AFTER you become a FULL MEMBER!  NO Work Hours during your probationary 6 months.  It's NOT a big deal.  All it means is that you need to roll yer sleeves up and pitch-in every-so-often to keep the place nice by doing your share.  IF you can't do any or all, there is an option to buy them out, so we even have that covered.  

Instead of burnin' $4 a gallon gas sitting on the Parkway, put that money towards your dues.  If you shoot a couple times a month it's a break-even, and if you shoot more often than that, you're savin' some coin!  You ain't lived until you join a Private Club, and OB is just minutes away from EB, so it's a NO-BRAINER, lol!

I appreciate that offer and may take you up on it. I went two weeks ago with another member, i was there on like a Tuesday at 10pm and it was PACKED! Every shooting position occupied. I am almost certain that i will join up, it was like a 10 minute drive for me, and the fact that i could go at night is a huge plus. The only thing i want to do before i join for sure is to see the outdoor areas.

I appreciate that offer and may take you up on it. I went two weeks ago with another member, i was there on like a Tuesday at 10pm and it was PACKED! Every shooting position occupied. I am almost certain that i will join up, it was like a 10 minute drive for me, and the fact that i could go at night is a huge plus. The only thing i want to do before i join for sure is to see the outdoor areas.

I was at the Outdoor today.  Brought 2 guests, my little Weber grill, was there for four hours in an on and off drizzle.  Only one other member showed-up.  If it wasn't drizzling, more would have been there.  Outdoors is where it's AT!  Rifles, pistols and shotgun ranges with less noise and more room to spread-out.  When you're not rushed, you can even share a cigar with friends!

Any time you want to "look", just PM me or show-up on a weekend during a Match since the leagues are open to the public (that's gun-smart, and has a demonstrated ability in firearms handling).  See our on-line newsletter for details:    www.obrpc.org   .

Dave