Sign in to follow this  
Roktory

shelf life of primers

This may be a stupid question; I have not reloaded in about 20 years. Today while getting out and setting up my reloading equipment I found 2 boxes of large rifle primers (1000) in each. These primers were stored in a cool dry location

So what do you think are they safe to use??

I don't see why not. People are still shooting WWII surplus ammo.

Ammo is more or less sealed. The primer won't wont degrade.

Primers alone are subject to humidity, chemical intrusion whatever. Stored properly they will last a long time. Stored in high humidity areas not so much.

I am in a similar situation - just started reloading again after being out of it for 15-20 years. Raising kids and other interests took time away from shooting and reloading.

Anyhow, I opened the ammo can where I stored my primers, and what did I find? Several thousand smiling little faces (marked small or large pistol) looking back at me. Some of the date codes (that I could read/understand) were from 1990.

So I've been happily using them, and the Bullseye/2400 powder, and the 1-2000 cast boolets that have been hanging around all these years. Storage was in a dark cabinet in the basement, and everything (so far) has been working well.

Eventually I will have to venture out and replace some of this stuff, and I have heard the price tag has increased a bit...

For example, some of the price tags:

100 Remington 1 1/2 (small pistol) primers - 75 cents

1000 cast 158 gr SWC .358 boolets - $29

1 lb Hercules Bullseye powder - $12.95

Ahhhh...those were the days....