iRescue

Chest rigs, plate carriers and 'war belts'

Whats the law on body armor plates? Are plates legal and vests are not?

It's all legal. The only state with a body armor ban is Connecticut I believe. Armor would be an add on charge in the commission of a crime

this signature exceeds the 15 character capacity count

• Like 1

Sorry if my response sounded snide, not meant to be.  I was serious, the only reason to get a plate carrier is to carry plates.  A chest rig can do the same thing with less bulk and weight. I've carried (2) 30rd AR mags on my belt in a class without much trouble.  I've carried (4) rifle and (4) pistol mags in a BCM chest rig with a hydration bladder on the back in a class as well.  

This is the way I see it;  If you only need to carry a couple rifle and a couple pistol mags, doing so on a belt is the best solution.  I am not a big fan of the drop leg carriers, I find them awkward but I suppose its an option as well. The next step up is a chest rig, they usually will accommodate (4) rifle and (4) pistol mags and could hold a hydration carrier on the back.  Following that, the only reason to go to a plate carrier is to have armor. 

this is why i don't have pouches on my carrier. can still run em on a belt, or a vest over the carrier if need be.

Funny this thread pops up now. My dept just started a new counterterrorism specific detail. I got picked for one of the team's. All heavy weapons and plate carrier deployment all day. Had a basic carrier setup that I kept in my car for patrol. Training this week really made me need to rethink my setup. Have to put together a new rig in the next two weeks. I already have the carrier. Got tired of the loud Velcro so I went with the tubes closure system. So much easier to get on and off. About to order HSGI double stack open top taco pouches for my M4 mags. Will probably use the same for pistol mags

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BlueLineFish said:

Funny this thread pops up now. My dept just started a new counterterrorism specific detail. I got picked for one of the team's. All heavy weapons and plate carrier deployment all day. Had a basic carrier setup that I kept in my car for patrol. Training this week really made me need to rethink my setup. Have to put together a new rig in the next two weeks. I already have the carrier. Got tired of the loud Velcro so I went with the tubes closure system. So much easier to get on and off. About to order HSGI double stack open top taco pouches for my M4 mags. Will probably use the same for pistol mags

Good point.  When you use web gear, warbelt, load bearing equipment, chest rig, battle vest or whatever on a regular basis your needs will change.  

5 hours ago, BlueLineFish said:

What are your SOP/Requirements for a basic load?

What are you planning on carrying everyday?

13 hours ago, Old Glock guy said:

Are people here mostly using a belt or a chest rig?  What are some of the reasons for your choice. Any particular one you would recommend?

It would be mostly for training classes, and possibly for worst case scenarios.  

I dont clame to be an expert on the matter but ill throw my .02 in anyway for you. I went with a scalable aproach. belt carries pistol and rifle mags, the slick carrier can hold a couple more mags, and the chest rig can be worn with or without the carrier. Idea is i can run any combination of the 3 depending on what im doing. I like versitile. Same reason i run the belt with the rti and universal pistol mag pouches, im currently set up for my xdm, baby eagle, and m70a

oh, and all my rifle mag pouches have kywis in them, those things changed my life.

8 minutes ago, SuRrEaLNJ said:

I dont clame to be an expert on the matter but ill throw my .02 in anyway for you. I went with a scalable aproach. belt carries pistol and rifle mags, the slick carrier can hold a couple more mags, and the chest rig can be worn with or without the carrier. Idea is i can run any combination of the 3 depending on what im doing. I like versitile. Same reason i run the belt with the rti and universal pistol mag pouches, im currently set up for my xdm, baby eagle, and m70a

oh, and all my rifle mag pouches have kywis in them, those things changed my life.

?

7 hours ago, High Exposure said:

What are your SOP/Requirements for a basic load?

What are you planning on carrying everyday?

There is no sop right now. This a new unit and everything is starting up quick. I trained this week with some of the gear they gave us and the pouches suck plus our plate carriers aren't in yet so I'm using one of my own. My plan is to carry six rifle mags total with 4 pistol mags. 3 rifle/pistol combo open top tacos on the plate carrier. One mag loaded in each of the m4 and glock. 2 spare M4 mags attached to a drop rig on my support side. Also on that drop rig will be my tourniquets and med pouch. No war belt because I will be wearing a duty belt. All nylon for the duty belt and holsters. 

@BlueLineFish @High Exposure

How does one distinguish a quality plate carrier from ones that suck? I don't have the chance to fondle or try them out while training, so any suggestions you have would be appreciated. I think I'm looking to use 10x12 plates with 6x8 sides. Should I measure my chest or something to figure out proper size?

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 3:39 PM, shooter28 said:

A good guide for sizing. 

http://bulletproofme.com/Sizing.shtml

If you go to SKDtac.com, they dont really carry junk stuff so if its listed there, its good stuff.

Thanks. I just need to find another place to order from since they won't sell to you unless you're LE or provide a LTCW, which I don't have. Maybe I should renew my Utah.

35 minutes ago, ChrisJM981 said:

Thanks. I just need to find another place to order from since they won't sell to you unless you're LE or provide a LTCW, which I don't have. Maybe I should renew my Utah.

blackbag resources. good guy. sean fisher. he sells a couple different brands, and is good honest people.

32 minutes ago, fatty said:

HE will tell you not to get steel armor in 5...4...3..2..1... 

:D

I'm not running around clearing buildings with a team to back me up. I want multi hit protection for a SHTF scenario. 

11 minutes ago, ChrisJM981 said:

I'm not running around clearing buildings with a team to back me up. I want multi hit protection for a SHTF scenario. 

Get steel then, unless you plan on carrying the armor all day then get kevlar.

If you wear and train with what you have you will get used to anything. I wear a full kit for 8-16 hours a day now every day at work. It took a lot of getting used to for wearing that long but now it's getting a lot better. Our plate carriers right now are heavy plates. Plus 3 m4 and 3 glock mags plus other gear on it

28 minutes ago, ChrisJM981 said:

Plus ceramics are expensive...  ar500 lvl3+ with build up coating and a spall guard are GTG in my book.  

Steel armor that is designed to be armor is fine. Don't buy re-purposed targets.

Weight is a concern, but safety is the primary concern. AR500 flat sucks for armor. There are better choices out there at similar price points.

Hesco plates - $129

http://www.officerstore.com/mobile/store/product.aspx/productId/31390/Hesco-Level-IV-10-x-12-Stand-Alone-Armor-Plate-Single-Curve-NIJ-06/

Not steel and good quality.

• Like 4