iRescue

Chest rigs, plate carriers and 'war belts'

46 minutes ago, vjf915 said:

Gotcha.  Not sure how you'd be able to draw faster, but everything else makes sense.  For how expensive it is, for now I think I'll stick with what I have.

I believe a lot has to do with the natural upward movement of your arms. I hear a lot of guys love the low mount holsters because of the natural draw, but end up with the mid or high mounts because they have to sit in patrol cars, or like it tucked in for more security. I believe as you move away from the waist, and more specifically your sides, your adding more manipulation of mags etc. 

Just look at what guys run for 3 gun

Sorry, didn't realize you were making a belt vs battle belt comparison. 

I believe it's all about ease of use. Not having to thread gear on and off, more secure mounting of accessories, and having a more rigid platform.

I'm trying to decide if I want the Velcro double belt, or a molle through belt platform. 

4 minutes ago, JackDaWack said:

I believe it's all about ease of use. Not having to thread gear on and off, more secure mounting of accessories, and having a more rigid platform.

I'm trying to decide if I want the Velcro double belt, or a molle through belt platform. 

My wife has the webbed version. I opted for the Velcro . Reason being these are our only belts and changing accoutrement seems more of a PITA with the webbing.. 

You have dropped/lowered holsters and you have thigh rigs. Two different beasts.

Dropped/lowered holsters are attached directly to the belt with a shank and do not move with your leg.

Thigh holsters are attached to a plate on your thigh and move as your leg moves.

They both have pluses and minuses and you have to select what best fits your needs.

My war belt has a thigh holster. I wear it as high as I can, but I need the extra drop to clear my armor. I also like the thigh plate itself because it enables me to mount some job specific tools to it where my string hand can easily reach them.

My duty belt has a mid ride holster. It’s low enough to allow my muzzle to clear the holster faster, but not so low as to make sitting uncomfortable.

My training/Comp/minimal rig has a lowride Safariland UBL. It’s in the middle of the thigh and the duty rig. It offers me the best balance of speed and comfort.

3 hours ago, vjf915 said:

Okay so another noob question for those that are in the know.  Benefits of a battle belt.  My understanding is that the pros are: You can set it up to be load bearing.  It's easier to put on, because you don't have to loop it through belt loops...you normally have a keeper or velcro on through your belt loops that the battle belt will attach to.  Padded so it's a little more comfortable to wear.  Cons: Less breathable so you tend to sweat under the belt a lot.  Anything I'm missing?

I think the big question is what is it going to be used for.. 

for normal shooting.. moving about fast.. shooting rapidly.. I prefer a chest rig.. it keeps everything up and supported.. plus my mag load out is center so reloads are quick.. 

I am considering shooting 3 gun.. and have started to build a 3gun setup.. I found a chest rig to be slow especially for shotgun reloads.. so for that I use a safariland ELS belt with ratchet strap mod and I don't need keepers or anything.. its VERY easy to get on and off.. and its secure.. 

I can't really figure out why this is the case.. why two types of shooting that are relatively similar cause me to have two different preferences.. but I think its mostly the shotgun reloads.. 

2 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

You have dropped/lowered holsters and you have thigh rigs. Two different beasts.

Dropped/lowered holsters are attached directly to the belt with a shank and do not move with your leg.

Thigh holsters are attached to a plate on your thigh and move as your leg moves.

They both have pluses and minuses and you have to select what best fits your needs.

I love and hate thigh holsters.. 

I keep using it and not using it.. LOL but for the most part I normally end up keeping it because the disadvantages are offset by the advantages of getting it away from everything else thats going on.. 

27 minutes ago, JackDaWack said:

Ahh makes sense now.  My bad should have clarified.  Okay so it seems like my range belt will work for now.  I'm not really in the mood to spend about $300 or so after the battle belt, belt, holster, and various pouches.

ETA:  The Navy left a bad taste in my mouth for thigh holsters.  They had these horribly designed holsters that even if you tried to wear properly, kept a loaded pistol pointed right at your knee.  I know that most thigh holsters aren't like that, but they still just don't sit right with me.

I find myself using the thigh rig less and less.

The low-ride Safariland UBL with a legstrap and QLS mounting plate is quickly becoming my preferred whenever I am not in armor. And sometimes even in armor. If I could find another place for my breaching bar (BFK), NFDD, and shot breaching rounds, I would shitcan the thigh rig altogether.

I just picked up an S&S Precision Holster Extender:

https://www.sandsprecision.com/holster-extender-grt.html

It lets you go from a High to a Mid to a Low-ride setup with literally the touch of a button. I’m curious to see how it shakes out for me.

The low-ride Safariland UBL with a legstrap and QLS mounting plate is quickly becoming my preferred whenever I am not in armor. And sometimes even in armor. If I could find another place for my breaching bar (BFK), NFDD, and shot breaching rounds, I would shitcan the thigh rig altogether.
It lets you go from a High to a Mid to a Low-ride setup with literally the touch of a button. I’m curious to see how it shakes out for me.
Are you usually breaching or does everyone carry these

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

38 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

I'm sorry.  That's cool, but $185 is too pricey for me.

Not really related to this thread, but belts in general.  Right now I need to figure out if I want to use my P320 compact as my go to pistol, then pick a light for it that also has holster options. I currently have no light bearing holsters.  I've spent quite a bit of time looking around, and there aren't too many options that I'm fond of.  Thinking of moving to an M&P.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vjf915 said:

I'm sorry.  That's cool, but $185 is too pricey for me.

Not really related to this thread, but belts in general.  Right now I need to figure out if I want to use my P320 compact as my go to pistol, then pick a light for it that also has holster options. I currently have no light bearing holsters.  I've spent quite a bit of time looking around, and there aren't too many options that I'm fond of.  Thinking of moving to an M&P.

Safariland 7 series????:D

24 minutes ago, Zeke said:

Safariland 7 series????:D

I didn't know about that series. Kind of expensive.

However, between my last post and now, I ordered a TLR-7 and a Stealth Gear OWB and IWB holster. It's too easy for me to spend money :facepalm:

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, vjf915 said:

I didn't know about that series. Kind of expensive.

However, between my last post and now, I ordered a TLR-7 and a Stealth Gear OWB and IWB holster. It's too easy for me to spend money :facepalm:

The TS stands for “ tactical stuff”

Yeah there facility is pretty close to one of the rivers that flooded, and it looks like some roads are permanently closed around there for now. I hope their facility didn't take on too much damage and they can get back up and running quickly.

Depends I guess.

For me, yes, they are. 

They hold just enough ammo (about 250 rounds of 9mm or .40 ammo) to complete a comp, or run through a few drills at the range. They make taking two calibers of ammo to the range in one can/bag/box easy as two of them fit perfectly into one of those small Harbor Freight plastic ammo cans.

On 9/22/2018 at 10:31 AM, JackDaWack said:

So I got some esstac and safariland gear in the mail. But I think G-code may have been swallowed up by the storm in NC, I ordered the belt but haven't heard a word from them, and they seem Mia on their farcebook account. Hope there OK 

It took them 3 months to get my order out to me, and this was last spring.   I believe they are in the process of moving to a new facility.