Newtonian

handgun purchase permit

I've been waiting for two handgun purchase permits for a full seven weeks. I already have a FID purchase card.

I live in Sussex County.

The officer who handles this in my town has been very helpful and has expedited previous applications. Do I bug him or just keep waiting?

Any similar stories out there from my county or nearby?

Yes, a ton of them unfortunately. I apply through the Sussex Barracks NJSP. Last summer it took 14 weeks, and that was before it all hit the fan.

The last timeline I heard of in Sussex County was around 4 months. If you have your own local PD your time may be different.

If you haven't talked to them in seven weeks, an inquiry is not out of order. Although I wouldn't 'bug' them. I would ask what were the application dates for the latest permits they've approved.

If you're through the Sussex NJSP I wouldn't bother. Trenton is where the backup is, and the local barracks can't do anything about it.

If you're through the Sussex NJSP I wouldn't bother. Trenton is where the backup is, and the local barracks can't do anything about it.

If local PD's are being processed in 5-6 weeks, how can the back-up be with the NJSP in Trenton? I would say the problem lies with your local barracks. Either not allocating enough manpower or giving the processing of applications a very low priority. It took me 5 weeks to get my latest series of P2P's through my local PD. The process is the same whether done by a municipality or the local NJSP barracks.

JMHO

Adios,

PIzza Bob

Scotch Plains usually has decent turn around 5-6 weeks. I am at week 9 now and when I called last week they indicated that the "yellow" form (not sure what that is) that they send to the state isn't back yet...

That is the SBI-212A - the non-criminal background check. That is done by the NJSP - SBI out of West Trenton. However, my PD told me up front that the SBI was slow in returning the 212A - but that meant the difference between the normal 4 week turnaround and the 5 weeks that it took this time. Depends when your PD sent it in - I think they're shining you on, and the NJSP are handy scapegoats.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

As some of you know, this is my first time around the block (FPID and P2Ps). Everything was submitted to local PD almost 2 months ago, references not contacted yet. I agree with Bob that the hold up isn't "through Trenton", but with the local PDs/barracks. How else can it be explained that some take less than 2 months and others are at 5 months and waiting. No matter how quickly the locals move, everything would back up at the state level if that's where the slow down really is. My local PD told me 5 months, don't call us, we'll call you. In many instances, the bottleneck seems to be at the beginning. Hopefully, only 3 months to go!

I applied through woodbine barracks on 1/5 for FID change of address and p2ps and they confirmed my sbi came back my references and everything else was sent off to Trenton on 2/15 and I'm still waiting. Neighboring police stations are completing same thing within 2 months. The state police barracks says they are waiting on Trenton to mail it back down. Don't even know what to think anymore.

That is the SBI-212A - the non-criminal background check. That is done by the NJSP - SBI out of West Trenton. However, my PD told me up front that the SBI was slow in returning the 212A - but that meant the difference between the normal 4 week turnaround and the 5 weeks that it took this time. Depends when your PD sent it in - I think they're shining you on, and the NJSP are handy scapegoats.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I am thinking Scotch Plains probably sent my form in three weeks after I submitted my application so hopefully not much longer. Funny thing is I submitted the multi-gun exemption form to the SP 2 weeks ago and when I spoke to the town today they indicated they already received it back from the SP approved. Atleast I'll get to pick up my three pistols sitting at the FFL at once when the 212A comes back.

I used to live in Sussex county and when I went through the Vernon PD it took me about 3 weeks to get my P2Ps.

I now have to go through the NJSP (since we have no local PD) and have been waiting almost 5 months for a change of address. from what I have heard from others on this board that have gone through other NJSP barracks the waits have all been similar 4-6 month on average.

I have been calling every few weeks just to politely check on the status, but I think I am going to have to draft a letter to the NJSP super just to let him know how long it is taking.

Hour number 1776, day 74, week 10 waiting on Kingwood SP barracks.

I don't know how anyone can say this is acceptable or explainable without lies. Barracks called me last night for neighbor's reference. When I asked about mine and the wife's-he ga e me the number for division headquarters.

There needs to be accountability, and no more of this "we'll call you" crap.

If they don't like it, get out of the middle of out of the process completely.

NICS should be sole source of purchase requirement. Period.

129 days and still waiting. After my last call I figure at least another month. This is unacceptable. May be time to write some more letters. The problem with the state police is there is no accountability. No mayor to talk to nothing. Nobody in the SP give a crap how long you have waited.

Hour number 1776, day 74, week 10 waiting on Kingwood SP barracks.

I don't know how anyone can say this is acceptable or explainable without lies. Barracks called me last night for neighbor's reference. When I asked about mine and the wife's-he ga e me the number for division headquarters.

There needs to be accountability, and no more of this "we'll call you" crap.

If they don't like it, get out of the middle of out of the process completely.

NICS should be sole source of purchase requirement. Period.

I'm on:

4 months + 7 days

Week 18

Day 128

Hour 3072(just for reference the typical 40 hour/week employee only works 2080 hours per year)

184,320 minutes

11,059,200 seconds

Every second that goes by is another I'm being deprived of my constitutional rights. Just imagine if you had to wait this long to go to church, or to vote...There would be riots. But us gun owners are obviously non-violent law abiding citizens.

I used to live in Sussex county and when I went through the Vernon PD it took me about 3 weeks to get my P2Ps.

I now have to go through the NJSP (since we have no local PD) and have been waiting almost 5 months for a change of address. from what I have heard from others on this board that have gone through other NJSP barracks the waits have all been similar 4-6 month on average.

I have been calling every few weeks just to politely check on the status, but I think I am going to have to draft a letter to the NJSP super just to let him know how long it is taking.

Another way to look at it is the fact that the police seem to have no respect for following this particular law...

Got the call this morning, eight weeks to the day since applying for my permits in Sussex Cty. Finally seeing those quadruplicate forms somehow erases the waiting and anticipation.

BTW, the officer who handles these things in my town has been away. I hope everything's ok with him.

That could have been part of the reason for the delay. He'd never taken more than 4 weeks before this.

P.S. I'll bet I'm the only person in these forums who's actually LOST an issued handgun permit.

I live in Passaic County, my wife and I applied for permits at our local pd the  first week of January.  We were told 6 to 8 weeks ago it had come back from the state but still no permit from my local PD.  Just went there again today thinking it would be in.  Nope!  The officer told me it can take up to 6 months! After next month it will be 6 months, what happens then if I don't get it? I don't understand what  still has to be done once it comes back from the state, does anyone know?         if after the 6 months is up and I still don't have it is there an association or someone in the state I could call to see   what is going on with it for me? Does anyone have any suggestions?