va_bank

Surprising discovery in Texas

Over the weekend, went to visit friends in Austin. Of course I wanted to see what gun shops in America were like.

In NJ, we may have the strictest gun laws, but we are doing great in terms of availability, COMPARED to Texas. We even have ARs on the shelves now, and handgun stock is OK. They have NOTHING. Overpriced sporterized SKSs is the closest thing I saw to an "assault" rifle. Only used old handguns. Ammo limits are *1* box per customer and you have to be there by 7AM for a chance to get it. I will be visiting 3 local shops this week, calling my Texas friends from there to see if we have guns they were looking for (pretty sure we have them).

There's really no point to this story, other than to provide some perspective. Even the most lenient gun laws are of no use if there is nothing to buy. As for the current gun situation - I now consider ourselves better off than the Texans. For now.

Cousin drove up from Maryland stopping at every gun shop in her route and was not able to find any available ammo until she got up here. Craziness. Makes me not want to go to the range to practice in fear that I won't be able to replenish my stock.

Ammo is non existant here in Kentucky except for the few times a truck may come in while you are waiting in line in Walmart. Meijers has not had handgun or rifle ammo since December. LGS really gouges ...if they have ammo in stock. LGS has some rifles and handguns...all the good stuff has been long sold out.

Over the weekend, went to visit friends in Austin. Of course I wanted to see what gun shops in America were like.

In NJ, we may have the strictest gun laws, but we are doing great in terms of availability, COMPARED to Texas. We even have ARs on the shelves now, and handgun stock is OK. They have NOTHING. Overpriced sporterized SKSs is the closest thing I saw to an "assault" rifle. Only used old handguns. Ammo limits are *1* box per customer and you have to be there by 7AM for a chance to get it. I will be visiting 3 local shops this week, calling my Texas friends from there to see if we have guns they were looking for (pretty sure we have them).

There's really no point to this story, other than to provide some perspective. Even the most lenient gun laws are of no use if there is nothing to buy. As for the current gun situation - I now consider ourselves better off than the Texans. For now.

Don't you mean "sporting" rifle.

There's really no point to this story, other than to provide some perspective.  Even the most lenient gun laws are of no use if there is nothing to buy. As for the current gun  situation - I now consider ourselves better off than the Texans. For now.

Maybe you shouldn't keep your ammo at the gun store. There has been no run on my ammo and my guns are plenty useful.

And Texas does not have lenient gun laws, they are pretty shitty.

I wouldnt say shitty.. but they are not as good as say Arizona.

And I believe what mipa was trying to say was that he took the time to stock his bunker with ammo before all of this, so for him there is no reason to look for ammo.

My beliefs, if you buy a box or two at a time, I believe his analogy fits..If you shoot alot and have not modified your tendencies to accomodate the ammo drought, you also should fall victim to the shortage... now the poor new shooter on the other hand... :(

Not as good as say Pennsylvania for that matter, not even close. Merely as one example, I don't like our laws one bit. But they are way better than Texas.

I believe Texas doesn't allow open carry, except on private property, farm or ranch? And those 30.06 signs...

Such as.....

- Can't carry many places due to sign laws and slews of prohibited locations, etc.

- No open carry

- Different permits to carry revolvers or pistols

- Shitty requirements and hoops to jump through to get permits to carry.

For me, the big one is that you pretty much can't carry anywhere.