jamesnjjames

NRA instructor class this Sunday

I'm telling ya. If you wanna become an instructor you need a training counselor

He is correct...

Quote from NRA Site

Instructor training courses are conducted by NRA Training Counselors. Training Counselors are active and experienced instructors who have been certified by NRA to train experienced shooters to teach others to shoot. NRA Instructor Training courses are posted at http://www.nrainstructors.org/searchcourse.aspx, or you may request a list of Training Counselors in your geographic area by contacting the NRA Training Department at 703-267-1430.

Hi. I am a training counsellor.

There are two parts to a first instructor certification: Basic Instructor Training and Discipline (eg Pistol).

NRA recommends a minimum of four people in a class, preferably six.

BIT takes a day, pretty much

Discipline takes one and a half days pretty much, covering class and range time, and exam.

There is a prerequisite to shoot to a certain (not onerous) standard, and usually this would be completed before beginning the Discipline part.

Please let me know if these brief comments answer your questions.

Thanks

G

Hi. I am a training counsellor.

There are two parts to a first instructor certification: Basic Instructor Training and Discipline (eg Pistol).

NRA recommends a minimum of four people in a class, preferably six.

BIT takes a day, pretty much

Discipline takes one and a half days pretty much, covering class and range time, and exam.

There is a prerequisite to shoot to a certain (not onerous) standard, and usually this would be completed before beginning the Discipline part.

Please let me know if these brief comments answer your questions.

Thanks

G

Why a minimum class size? I would think a One to one assessment would be ideal..

Check the Forums Vendor list for NRA Training. ShootNJ has classes every weekend and a bunch of classes stacked in May. Located in Middletown NJ as well as classes at Fort Dix Range 14. Offer discounts on instructor packages, BIT plus discipline and RSO. The NRA Instructor program is a pass fail. Just taking a class does not guarantee anything. Public speaking is also a big part of the course. Gun4hire also offers courses. There are some coming up at Central Jersey Rifle & Pistol also. They are not free. Also read up on it and talk to Instructors that teach vs just have the credentials. The NRA has made changes to ensure people dont recieve instructor ratings just to sign off on their friends certifications. Find out alk you can, like how much insurance is per year to cover yourself and posessions in case "something" happens. BIT will open your eyes. Good luck, it is a lengthy process.