matty

ALERT!!!! APRIL 30th SENATE HEARING AT NOON not 10AM See SLP comte page

I KNEW those F_ERS would pull this

Senate Law and Public Safety Tuesday, April 30, 2013 - 12:00 PM Hearing - Committee Room 4, 1st Floor, State House Annex, Trenton, NJ S2722-Provides 90-day window for turning in certain firearms. S2723-Concerns firearms id cards & handgun permits. S2724-School Security Task Force. S2725-Possession of air gun, unlawful purpose. The SLP Cmte will hear testmony from inv. guests Hon. Glenn Grant & Daniel Phillips, Leg. Liaison from the A.O.C. Those with written testimony should provide 15 copies to the cmte aide prior to the start of the mtng. Abstract Current Status LDOA Ed. Security Task Force-estab. COMB 2/14/2013 A3510 Firearms permits and id cards-concerns SLP 2/26/2013 Sch. Security Task Force-estab. SLP 2/26/2013 A3645 Ammunition sale-estab reglatory prog. SLP 2/26/2013 Ammunition-estab. regulatory sys. COMB 2/14/2013 A3666 Ammunition sale-proh. mail order COMB 2/14/2013 PANYNJ-cert. cargo, impose fac. charge ATR 1/14/2013 A3687 Firearm id card-disqual. Terrorist List SLP 2/26/2013 Study Comm. on Violence AHU 1/14/2013 A3717 NICS-submit cert. mental health records SLP 2/26/2013 Ammunition sales-estab reglatory prog. COMB 2/14/2013 A3772 Firearm purch. id card-picture req. SLP 2/26/2013 Firearms, unlawfully possessed-dispose SLP 2/26/2013 S657 Firearms permits and id cards-concerns SLP 1/10/2012 Study Comm. on Violence SLP 1/8/2013 S2476 Ammunition sale-face to face transaction SLP 1/14/2013 Firearm id card-disqual. Terrorist List SLP 1/28/2013 S2492 NICS-submit cert. mental health records SLP 1/28/2013

Here's the link:

http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/BillsForAgendaView.asp

Interesting. Every other session considers 4-10 bills and is scheduled to start at between 9:30 and 10:30. This one covers 18 and doesn't start until noon. Some of them are combined bills, and some are substantially identical assembly and senate bills, though, so I assume they'll be discussed together.

I thought the bill banning online sales of ammo was off the table? Conversely, I thought they wanted to ban .50 cal. Where's that? Finally, there seems to be a stray non-law and public safety bill that sneaked in.

"PANYNJ-cert. cargo, impose fac. charge"

I'm getting to the point where when I see certain names of assemblymen or senators, I feel the hair raise on the back of my neck. It's getting really creepy in this state. People harbor a malignant and irrational hatred of us.

Here's the link:

http://www.njleg.sta...rAgendaView.asp

Interesting. Every other session considers 4-10 bills and is scheduled to start at between 9:30 and 10:30. This one covers 18 and doesn't start until noon. Some of them are combined bills, and some are substantially identical assembly and senate bills, though, so I assume they'll be discussed together.

I thought the bill banning online sales of ammo was off the table? Conversely, I thought they wanted to ban .50 cal. Where's that? Finally, there seems to be a stray non-law and public safety bill that sneaked in.

"PANYNJ-cert. cargo, impose fac. charge"

I'm getting to the point where when I see certain names of assemblymen or senators, I feel the hair raise on the back of my neck. It's getting really creepy in this state. People harbor a malignant and irrational hatred of us.

link doesn't seem to be working....

Strange, it works for me when I click on it.

Try cutting and pasting this into your browser, minus the quotation marks:

"http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/BillsForAgendaView.asp"

If that doesn't work, go to the main page:

http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/Default.asp

Look under committees on the left column (fifth from the top) and click on Senate Committees.

On the right side of the page, click "Law and Public Safety."

Finally, click "view schedule."

Here are the members of the committee, with email addresses. They'll all be hearing from me tonight.

Donald Norcross (Chair)

[email protected]

Linda Greenstein (Co-chair)

[email protected]

Christopher Bateman

[email protected]

James Holzapfel

[email protected]

Nicholas Sacco

[email protected]

Here are the members of the committee, with email addresses. They'll all be hearing from me tonight.

Donald Norcross (Chair)

[email protected]

Linda Greenstein (Co-chair)

[email protected]

Christopher Bateman

[email protected]

James Holzapfel

[email protected]

Nicholas Sacco

[email protected]

Norcross is the south jersey powerhouse which the north jersey dem's HATE HATE HATE........It would be sweet if he killed all these bills....

I looked over all of the bills. Here's my brief synopsis of each:

A1613 establish Educational Security Task Force to standardize school safety programs

A3510 require firearms safety training for fid and p2p

A3583 establishes School Security Task Force

A3645 Ammunition sales must be face to face

A3646 Ammunition sales by dealers only. Photo id required for all ammo sales, even shotgun and rifle

A3666 Ammunition sale-must be face to face

A3685 PANYNJ-cert. cargo, impose fac. charge - not firearm related

A3687 No FID to anyone on terrorist watch list

A3690 establish committee to study violence and make recommendations to senate

A3717 State must report all people who were institutionalized to NICS

A3750 Handgun ammo sales will be reported to state electronically at time of sale and data will be available to all law enforcement in real time.

A3772 Photo FID card that requires renewal every 5 years

A3796 Creates 90 day amnesty period to turn in, sell, or render inoperable any firearms that are already illegal.

S657 Requires firearm training to get an FID

S2430 Establishes security task force to study and make recommendations

S2476 Ammunition sales must be face to face

S2485 No FID to anyone on terrorist watch list

S2492 State must report all people who were institutionalized to NICS

There are more bills that have not been released yet, including Sweeney's "signature" bill.

Everyone needs to be aware that the other side is campaigning very hard to get more oppressive provisions added to this legislation. They will be at the hearing asking why some things that the Assembly passed are missing. For example, they will be demanding a reduction in mag capacity. It is imperative that we be there in large numbers to counter their efforts, even if most of these bills seem comparatively innocuous. April 30th, and most likely one other day, May 1st or May 2nd, are going to be a battle. It's all hands on deck - not just to oppose these bills, but to keep them from being amended by the other side.

There are more bills that have not been released yet, including Sweeney's "signature" bill.

Everyone needs to be aware that the other side is campaigning very hard to get more oppressive provisions added to this legislation. They will be at the hearing asking why some things that the Assembly passed are missing. For example, they will be demanding a reduction in mag capacity. It is imperative that we be there in large numbers to counter their efforts, even if most of these bills seem comparatively innocuous. April 30th, and most likely one other day, May 1st or May 2nd, are going to be a battle. It's all hands on deck - not just to oppose these bills, but to keep them from being amended by the other side.

The anti's have been sending emails to bring people to their petition: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/132/446/684/nj-state-senators-ban-hight-capacity-ammunitions-in-gun-control-legislation/

Their main thrust seems to be going to 10 round mags.

Here is the email I just sent them:

Subject: We need common sense gun laws!

TO:

Donald Norcross

Linda Greenstein

Chistopher Bateman

James Holzapfel

Nicholas Sacco

So, please use some common sense and don’t approve most of the bills that are now being considered – as they lack almost any resemblance to common sense. Let’s just take a few by the numbers.

Reducing magazine capacity limits from 15 to 10 will only hurt law abiding citizens that have a handgun for home defense. I will grant you that under a late night panic situation having only 10 rounds in a weapon will limit your ability to defend against the three bad guys that enter your home with weapons with bad intent. Unlike in the movies one round does not usually stop anyone immediately and in low lighting under panic you might not land all those rounds. But in a planned situation where someone is mentally unstable and plans to kill many it is very easy to come prepared with many magazines and it only takes a fraction of a second to change magazine and / or bring multiple weapons. New Jersey already has mini-magazine laws set at 15 while most of the country has 30 rounds. Please don’t put legal gun owners at a further disadvantage to criminals. You do know they call them criminals because they don’t obey the laws. You are only going to place at risk the most law abiding portion of the population.

Limiting our ability to purchase ammunition over the internet will achieve one and only one thing – it will raise the cost for the most law abiding segment of the population that use large quantities of ammunition for shooting at ranges while honing their skills to make them safer and more proficient. Doing so will force many to cut back on practice which will lead to more accidental shootings. To legally purchase handgun ammunition in NJ or from most online sellers you must have an FID card. Criminals do not have these and do not purchase ammunition legally to start with. Your path here is to make sure that all ammunition suppliers respect NJ law and require an FID card on file for an online purchase, most already obey this. Just enforce the existing laws; reducing competition yet again only hurts legal citizens.

Gun free school zones are nothing but sheer stupidity. I’m not a hunter, but let’s use hunting as an example. If I could legally hunt in the woods or at the zoo, where do you think I would choose to hunt? At the zoo of course, as it is much easier to find the animals and they are in an area where they can’t get to me. Gun free school zones provide that exact scenario for the crazed killers. They know they have easy targets and know that no one else has a gun so they are safe. While the concept sounds good, it actually has the exact opposite impact of what you are trying to accomplish. Further, how does increasing the penalty stop the crazy shooter who’s typical end game is to kill themselves when done or commit suicide by cop?

Lastly, the FID, NICS, and pistol purchase permit (P2P) system in New Jersey is badly broken; but the current proposal will only make the system worse without achieving any positive results. The law currently says FID and P2P permits are to be issued in 30 days or less – but currently many are waiting as long as six to nine months to get permits – why? The current system is so outdated and over stressed it cannot handle the current workload. To require that FID cards be renewed will cripple the system further burdening those that actually obey the laws while doing nothing to stop illegal gun possession. Some argue that we need renewal because good people may have turned bad over time – but we already have safeguards for that in that you go through the NICS check at time of purchase to ensure no change in status. The concept of an FID endorsement on a driver’s license is the worst concept ever. While most law enforcement officers are good hard working people, there are some that will use such an endorsement to harass drivers just because they are legal gun owners. Others that require a driver’s license for ID will likely give gun owners a hard time. Did we learn nothing about how bad it is to force people to display badges when the state mandated stickers on the cars of new drivers. These systems while they sound good have some very negative side effects. Please fix the broken system. Why do Nics (the “I” stands for instant) now take as much as ten to fourteen days, while they are supposed to be instant and are in fact almost instant in Pennsylvania and most other states.

I agree we need a common sense approach to violence in New Jersey. That means enforcing existing laws. Why are criminals allowed to plead down gun charges? Why not enforce existing laws to their fullest and go after the criminals rather than discriminate against lawful gun owners which are the most law abiding segment of the population. Legal guns are almost never used for criminal purposes, your goal should be to go after the non-legal guns and enforce penalties on those that don’t comply with what are some of the most stringent laws in the entire country.

So, I urge you to think through all the negative side effects of what is being proposed. I know it takes conviction and a strong will to put common sense ahead of what might sound good your constituents that truly are not aware of how strict our gun laws already are in this state. I spoke at a meeting of mostly anti-gun people recently and detailed what someone must go through to legally purchase a handgun in this state – they were shocked and came out of the meeting with a different opinion than what many polls show. Your job should be to help educate people and shape policy that will actually make life in New Jersey better not take the easy road that sounds good but will really do nothing to make us safer.

Thanks for reading this and for your consideration in this matter.

I thought Sweeney announced he was bringing only 12 bills to committee. What happened?

Also, as for that "high capacity" magazine petition, I'm noticing two things: 1) people are signing it multiple times; 2) people from outside New Jersey are signing it.

and yet the anti gun blobby is always crying about 'outside influences' from 'special interests'....

I looked over all of the bills. Here's my brief synopsis of each:

A1613 establish Educational Security Task Force to standardize school safety programs

A3510 require firearms safety training for fid and p2p

A3583 establishes School Security Task Force

A3645 Ammunition sales must be face to face

A3646 Ammunition sales by dealers only. Photo id required for all ammo sales, even shotgun and rifle

A3666 Ammunition sale-must be face to face

A3685 PANYNJ-cert. cargo, impose fac. charge - not firearm related

A3687 No FID to anyone on terrorist watch list

A3690 establish committee to study violence and make recommendations to senate

A3717 State must report all people who were institutionalized to NICS

A3750 Handgun ammo sales will be reported to state electronically at time of sale and data will be available to all law enforcement in real time.

A3772 Photo FID card that requires renewal every 5 years

A3796 Creates 90 day amnesty period to turn in, sell, or render inoperable any firearms that are already illegal.

S657 Requires firearm training to get an FID

S2430 Establishes security task force to study and make recommendations

S2476 Ammunition sales must be face to face

S2485 No FID to anyone on terrorist watch list

S2492 State must report all people who were institutionalized to NICS

Thank you for taking the time to format the bills in an easy to read manner.

will this be a 'hearing' like the last one was, a week after the rally? what exactly is the point of this hearing.....will anything pass to another level after tuesday? is it just for public information? will we be able to speak?

The only thing I can tell you is that the other side is going to be there and they will be desperately trying to make these bills worse, while we try to do the opposite. We do not want to lose any ground at these hearings and we want to gain ground if possible. The only way to do that is to show up with bigger numbers and a clearer message.

Last time, there were many people that didn't get to speak, but they did not go unnoticed. That event resonated throughout that place. Chris Christie called it a "kangaroo court" and even Loretta Weinberg recently referred to us as "highly motivated" and "highly organized." I'm not going to say that they are afraid of us, or that they are going to do everything that we want, but, I will say this. They see us as a group that is gaining momentum, gaining popularity and gaining political power. We need to prove them right, or they will be emboldened. If we can succeed in neutralizing the most egregious provisions in these bills, this will be felt by our opposition as a crushing defeat in the premier anti-gun stronghold of New Jersey. We need to hit them hard at this hearing. This hearing matters.