Nikos

FFL Fees - cheat sheet

He payed tax on the gun. The shop owner asked him how much he payed for the gun online and then charged him "sales tax" on that price.  This was on top on the $25 transfer fee and $15 for nics. I have a strong feeling that the neither the IRS nor the NJ Division of Taxation receives any of these "taxes".  This is where my question of legality comes in. Representing a fee as a mandatory government tax to get people to pay more.

If that's the case, you should tell everyone the name of the ffl, so people can avoid them.

2 questions:

1)  how come i see different NICS prices?   I thought it was a 15.00 set by the state

2)  i understand it is a service but what differences should i expect paying 100 dollers for a transfer to 35 for a transfer?  does the ffl at 100 dollers make a union rate compared to a 35 ffl for example?  

If that's the case, you should tell everyone the name of the ffl, so people can avoid them.

Mentioned it in the original post.  Carter Drugs in Matawan.  My friend used them 4 times before I told him that was a bogus tax.  Paid over well over 100 dollars extra in transfer fees.

He payed tax on the gun. The shop owner asked him how much he payed for the gun online and then charged him "sales tax" on that price.  This was on top on the $25 transfer fee and $15 for nics. I have a strong feeling that the neither the IRS nor the NJ Division of Taxation receives any of these "taxes".  This is where my question of legality comes in. Representing a fee as a mandatory government tax to get people to pay more.

Thats complete bull. Your friend should in not be paying tax based on what he paid for the gun. Unless the shop collected the money. If i were your friend i would call them and make a stink about it

Added: If they collected tax it should have been mailed to the state where the firearm was purchased. NOT NJ. the sale did not take place here.... This might be illegal as he's collecting sales tax for one state but paying it to another....

another question i have is....  How does this store pay the money to NJ as you are asked for the purchase amount but that purchase amount will never show in his account.  to me seems like a scam!

This really pisses me off.

He should contact the state w/ copies of his receipts and advise them that he was going to pay the Use Tax (http://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/su_4.shtml) but that the FFL collected it already.

I'm sure the dept of treasury would be interested in what Carter Drugs is doing with his and who knows how many other people's use taxes.

Just an idea....can the sheet be updated to add a column for FFL's that will permantly alter magazines?  This way when a person purchases a pistol that has a magazine exceeding NJ's 15 round limit they will know exactly where to have the seller send it to have it made NJ compliant and the costs associtated to do so? 

Just an idea....can the sheet be updated to add a column for FFL's that will permantly alter magazines?  This way when a person purchases a pistol that has a magazine exceeding NJ's 15 round limit they will know exactly where to have the seller send it to have it made NJ compliant and the costs associtated to do so? 

That would make it a very short list. 

Heritage Guild

Branchburg

wanted $100 total (didn't break out the cost) for a handgun transfer

but they were nice enough to tell me to contact

Ed Yanchok

Warren

908 753-2365

$60 total for a handgun transfer

Nice thing about Ed is he was willing to hold a firearm w/o any storage fee while I got a permit delay problem straightened out.  He's a pleasant older fellow and he's 5 minutes from my house.

Updated the list.

I need to find a better way to perform the updates as there are too many steps involved to make a simple change. I will most likely host the spreadsheet on google docs.

Edit:

Google Docs file link:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?hl=en&hl=en&key=0Ap8BAjyRhnQ5dDlwc3ZEY2hXSzd5SWREVzVuOG5vWlE&output=html

HGstaff will tell you to find another ffl. The owner is not interested in this type of business. But I don't find their prices to be outrageous. It depends in what you're looking for. Some guns are less than most places, some are more. If you're a range member you get 10% off on ammo and most accessories. Ammo is usually cheaper than most places including internet.