Nikos

FFL Fees - cheat sheet

It's also very silly to base your FFL simply off of price. These dealers are offering you a service, so you should consider the level of service you receive when making your decision.

That's crazy no matter how good of service does not mean we should pay 75+ dollars; Rick at OMG treats you like gold and he's 35 cash I'm just saying you can take it with a grain

That's crazy no matter how good of service does not mean we should pay 75+ dollars; Rick at OMG treats you like gold and he's 35 cash I'm just saying you can take it with a grain

I never endorsed anyone in this thread specifically, and personally, I'm happy to pay more for better service.

It's also very silly to base your FFL simply off of price. These dealers are offering you a service, so you should consider the level of service you receive when making your decision.

True, but based on the prices a couple of those dealers are charging, the services should include a car wash and oil change. Or maybe a second transfer at no charge.

• Like 1

bullseye tactical phone - 732-218-8415
Caso's phone - 201-435-5099
Legend Firearms phone 908-216-2915
Mastodon Ammo & Cammo phone 973-764-9550
OMG guns phone 551-221-2276
RAYS TACTICAL Phone 201-686-0848
Thunder Mt PHONE: 973-962-6377

SIDE BY SIDE FIREARMS
Phone Number: (973) 627-2848
DENVILLE
Transfer Fee: 70.00

G & S HUNTERS
Phone Number: (973) 345-4100
PATERSON
Transfer Fee: 65.00

BERGEN SPORTING GOODS
Phone Number: (201) 941-2666
RIDGEFIELD
Transfer Fee: 50.00

THE POSTMARK
Phone Number: 973-267-6655
MORRISTOWN
Transfer Fee: 50.00

MELTZER & SONS
Phone 973-478-7647
GARFIELD
Fee: 65 includes NICS

TRI STATE FIREARMS EXCHANGE
Phone (973) 737-4016
VERNON

Ace Marksman phone 856-935-4599
Bob Kislin's phone 732-929-9300
Constitution Arms phone 973-378-8011
Gerards Guns phone 856-701-3700
Jetagent, LLC phone 908-938-6510
Just Sports phone 609-465-6171
Leroy Stout phone 609-586-5708
NJ Firearms Guild phone 732-382-4066
Tips Hardware phone  609-296-3192
YOJ Sports phone 973-786-7382

Long Gun Fee: $45.00  Credit Card $50.00 
Hand Gun Fee: $45.00  Credit Card $50.00 
NICS Fee: $45.00  Its included in the $45.00 Cash / $50.00 Credit Card 
Other Fee: $15.00  25.00 Credit Card 2nd Gun same transaction

Update for Lincoln Park Hardware, (True Value Hardware) 

Prices went up

Long Gun Fee: $45.00  Credit Card $50.00 

Hand Gun Fee: $45.00  Credit Card $50.00 

NICS Fee: $45.00  Its included in the $45.00 Cash / $50.00 Credit Card 

Other Fee: $15.00  25.00 Credit Card 2nd Gun same transaction

Prices went up

Thanks for the heads up

Long Gun Fee: $45.00 Credit Card $50.00

Hand Gun Fee: $45.00 Credit Card $50.00

NICS Fee: $45.00 Its included in the $45.00 Cash / $50.00 Credit Card

Other Fee: $15.00 25.00 Credit Card 2nd Gun same transaction

Prices went up

So they raised prices by$5?

Perhaps, but the elements of FFL transfer fee service are pretty simple.  1) Not lose the gun.  2) Be open during arranged hours.  3) Don;'t mess up the same paperwork they've filled in 10,000 times before.

That's a low barrier.  Above that, it's price all the way.  (Also, I know several FFL's have failed those simple requirements).

The dealers should also take into account whether or not you are a valued and repeat customer when charging you any of the higher than average fees.  I would seem that some set their prices so as not to get involved with any online deals.  tOh, and with all of the business as of late, why are important customers being gouged on ammo pricing?  Are dealers being gouged and passing it along, or are they taking advantage?  ....It's a two-way street. 

One local vendor is reasonable if you buy used and transfer or if you buy something that the dealer cannot readily get and have a transfer done there, but charges you a lot more if it is something that they could stock.

And the laws in NJ are in many ways forcing you to be at the mercy of our fine firearms dealers.  That being said, if you have to pay $10-15 more for a large ticket item from a dealer than with an online transaction, then loyalty, and the wish to support local should be considered.  Any more than that or lack of stock etc. and no.  Additionally, keep in mind that there most likely isn't one gun owner in NJ that didn't experience an attitude at some point by the employees of a NJ gun store.   That doesn't appear to be a great level of service in some cases.  I have yet to find a dealer that I am willing to show express loyalty to, especially with my pocket book.  Its more self-serving in that I personally don't want the store to go out of business and present ME less options.

And, why buy at the rather high, but typically less than local dealer prices of Dick's when Dick's has shown its true colors toward the firearms owners of this nation.  Support your local gougers. 

True, but based on the prices a couple of those dealers are charging, the services should include a car wash and oil change. Or maybe a second transfer at no charge.

For what the Guild charges I'd be wanting a happy ending by some good looking split tail.. LOL

Perhaps, but the elements of FFL transfer fee service are pretty simple.  1) Not lose the gun.  2) Be open during arranged hours.  3) Don;'t mess up the same paperwork they've filled in 10,000 times before.

That's a low barrier.  Above that, it's price all the way.  (Also, I know several FFL's have failed those simple requirements).

You did miss a couple of expenses FFL's have.

1 Liability and theft insurance (I'm sure in not the only person with coverage)

2. Credit Card Monthly account Fee's (just to have the account)

3. Phone lines

4. Initial expense for starting up , Construction, App Fee's etc etc

5. Misc expenses (ie accounting)

6. Time, When i do a transfer for a new gun owner they always ask questions about the firearm they purchased elsewhere, A 15 minute transfer can  easily become a 1 hour transfer and Q&A session. Im more then happy to do it but it does come at a cost to us in time. You will have to look hard to find a customer i rushed out the door due to questions.

So that 25 transfer fee is in no way profit

I'm not justifying those FFL's that charge higher then normal rates but i am justifying the 40.00 including NICS that most of us charge.

I was just talking to my friend and he said that Carter Drugs in Matawan charged him 25 for transfer + 15 for nics + tax on the gun he bought. Is this illegal or just immoral?

I don't see anything illegal or immoral in that price. I'm assuming that your friend transferred a gun through the dealer. I think the price is reasonable.

$250/mo. 1 Liability and theft insurance (I'm sure in not the only person with coverage)

3% per item 2. Credit Card Monthly account Fee's (just to have the account)

$50 per month 3. Phone lines

$10,000 4. Initial expense for starting up , Construction, App Fee's etc etc

$1,000 5. Misc expenses (ie accounting)

$40/hr. 6. Time, When i do a transfer for a new gun owner they always ask questions about the firearm they purchased elsewhere, A 15 minute transfer can  easily become a 1 hour transfer and Q&A session. Im more then happy to do it but it does come at a cost to us in time. You will have to look hard to find a customer i rushed out the door due to questions.

Should be $50 per So that 25 transfer fee is in no way profit

I'm not justifying those FFL's that charge higher then normal rates but i am justifying the 40.00 including NICS that most of us charge.

I've been using Oakridge.  Great little shop

Oakridge Gun Service Inc.
Allentown, NJ 08501

Phone: 609-259-7620
Hours: 10:00 am - 2:00 pm Mon - Fri; Sat/Sun by appoint.

Long Gun Fee: $15.00  +NICS +sales tax
Hand Gun Fee: $15.00  +NICS +sales tax+ certified mail fee for permit returns

I don't see anything illegal or immoral in that price. I'm assuming that your friend transferred a gun through the dealer. I think the price is reasonable.

i think somethings wrong here..

if he purchased elsewhere he would not pay tax on the gun. if he purchased from the dealer he would not pay the 25 transfer LOL

$250/mo. 1 Liability and theft insurance (I'm sure in not the only person with coverage)

3% per item 2. Credit Card Monthly account Fee's (just to have the account)

$50 per month 3. Phone lines

$10,000 4. Initial expense for starting up , Construction, App Fee's etc etc

$1,000 5. Misc expenses (ie accounting)

$40/hr. 6. Time, When i do a transfer for a new gun owner they always ask questions about the firearm they purchased elsewhere, A 15 minute transfer can  easily become a 1 hour transfer and Q&A session. Im more then happy to do it but it does come at a cost to us in time. You will have to look hard to find a customer i rushed out the door due to questions.

Should be $50 per So that 25 transfer fee is in no way profit

there ya go!

if he purchased elsewhere he would not pay tax on the gun. if he purchased from the dealer he would not pay the 25 transfer LOL

I was thinking tax on the nics. If the charges are going back through the phone lines, there should be tax ontbd nics since the dealer pays tax on it.

He payed tax on the gun. The shop owner asked him how much he payed for the gun online and then charged him "sales tax" on that price.  This was on top on the $25 transfer fee and $15 for nics. I have a strong feeling that the neither the IRS nor the NJ Division of Taxation receives any of these "taxes".  This is where my question of legality comes in. Representing a fee as a mandatory government tax to get people to pay more.

Interesting scenario. As far as I know, a transfer service is not a taxable item, just the NICS. The actual purchase of the item (gun) was with another company and any applicable taxes would have been collected by them. The FFL was paid for a transfer service (not a sale) and I don't know the legality of charging taxes for an item that he never actually sold to you although, the item is legally yours after the transfer is completed.

Is it illegal? Not sure. 

Is it immoral? Hell yes.