DirtyDigz

CNBC showing "America's Gun: The Rise of the AR-15" Thursday 4/25

It was great showing women confidently handling the rifle and how easy it is to do so. My wife said, "hey, I want to shoot your ar now, let's go next weekend." My reply, "If you like shooting it, you can have your own, even if you want it pink and sparkly."

I only hope they make more women friendly AR parts/completes. Hell, make a free float tube that also manicures as you hold it, emphasize that 30 round mags makes a better grip area for small hands and short reach.... anything to get women more comfortable with the rifle.

If you get the women, you get rid of the "ban" speak from politicians.

Can anyone more familiar with ballistics than I am affirm the assertion that the .223/5.56 round causes more damage than others?

I'm not a ballistics expert by any means, but from what I've gathered:

Getting shot sucks.

Getting shot by a carbine really sucks.

Getting shot by a battle rifle really, really sucks.

Does the AR15 do a lot of damage? Sure. It's a carbine and there's a lot of energy transfer and tissue damage. It's definitely worse than a handgun wound which comprise the vast majority of gunshot wounds, which would explain the shock of the ER docs. Is it more powerful than your average hunting rifle or shooting some kind of super bullet? Hell no.

Vlad, I thought it was in his trunk, well that was the last I heard. Stopped following it because of the b.s. If im wrong about the AR being used then im sorry. Thought it was all hand guns.

negative.. that was a shotgun that ended up not being used... I actually believe it was a Saiga 12... pretty sure AR15 was confirmed to be one of the weapons used...

Unlike a few folks in this thread, I really think this video was quite objective, and far better than their expose on the Remington 700.

The only things I was not fond of was Yaeger going a bit over the top, and the guy who is now shining the light on 3d Printing.

Otherwise, they did a great job explaining evil features and how AR is merely "scary looking."

This video put gun owners in a good light I feel with folks I talked to.

Can't say I was fond of the 3D printer guy as well. The work he does, while interesting, is completely counterproductive to the 2nd Amendment. Skirting around the rules and publicizing it will only invite stronger anti-gun legislation and the regulation of 3D fabrication tech.

Yeager on the other hand, I am a fan of. But I don't think his portrayal in this segment was constructive. And I think there are more eloquent ways to handle the "no comment" and walking out of an interview. But I would bet that he probably laid ground rules about being interviewed about the AR15... And not his controversy with "Pack Your Bags".

I also don't agree with the whole "overwhelming sense of fear" point that this segment portrayed. Most gun owners I've met own them out of a practical sense of protection... Not a fear that the government will come for them or abandon them.

I think it looks un-biased to an outside viewer; they did a good job of masking their intentions.

Started off slow with some not-so-biased interviews and such, then led into Yeager's segment (obv people think he is nuts) and started interviewing medical staff about the severity of injuries from the AR15. OBVIOSULY the wounds will be similar to what you see in combat, they are RIFLE wounds, and what exactly would you expect?!

If someone was unsure about their view on the AR15, maybe after talking with a "right wing nut" as a liberal would see Yeager, and the lethality of the rifle as was specifically pointed out in the interviews, i could see someone walking away saying "yeah why do you guys need such a dangerous weapon?"

I called it... Yeager explains walking of the set... and how it came after a long interview and being badgered about the "Pack your bags video". After he said he would not answer any questions about it before the interview.

They had an agenda to come down and probably see if they could get him riled up... with probably no want to actually spotlight the AR15.

I only watched some of it while nodding off to sleep. I thought it was fair - especially since they showed the women shooters and they explained why the gun was so popular - it's a platform that millions of Americans are familiar with from the military.

I think that one of the reasons the AR is so darn popular is that we just fought two major wars. Now you have millions of vets coming home who got very intimate with their weapons. So when they get out of the Army, what are they going to buy? Exactly what the used in the Army.