Sign in to follow this  
maintenanceguy

We're Doing it Wrong!

We're fighting the fight in a way that we can't possibly ever win. The "other side" proposes a dozen more gun control bills. We show up and argue against the bills, plead with our representatives not to pass the bill, try to amass enough bodies to be taken seriously, and hope that they listen to us.

But there are only two possible outcomes - a proposal becomes law or it doesn't. If a proposal becomes law, it further erodes our rights. But if we manage to block one, it doesn't work in our favor, it just leaves us where we were before.

There is no option where we can ever hope to actually win something!

As long as we only play defense, we'll never score. As long as we only talk about the restrictions the other side is proposing, we will never make any progress in getting any of our rights back - in fact, we are guaranteed that our rights will continue to slowly erode away. We need to show up and fight this time but the next fight needs to be on our terms. We need to decide what the next fight will be about and make them try to block us.

To do this, we need to follow their example and unify behind a small number of issues. They choose assault weapon bans, magazine limits, and background checks. They have been able to stay on task and not get lost going in different directions. I'm not going to suggest what our short list would be but if we all unified behind one issue - and we all hammered our elected officials with one consistent demand, I think we would have a shot at something getting done.

Our first win will need to be small. Always start with small wins because an early loss is a morale killer. An early win energizes and motivates and gets momentum going.

I'd personally like to see CCW in NJ but I realize that's not going to be an easy win so that has to be on the back burner. So, what should be our first win?

I agree. We're not going to win with defense alone. The offense must be driven in the voter turn-out and statement sent by it in November. We may not win the actual seats (YET!), but if we begin to narrow the margin of votes in our direction, it WILL clearly be noticed by those holding the seats and I believe we will begin to see a shift in their actions and votes. Lets face it, right now, they feel SO protected that they feel as though they don't even have to listen to us, read our concerns, have our side represented in any public forum or meetings. I really believe that will start to change if they suddenly see a change in the numbers. And who knows, if we are really serious, and continue to build strength, we may just win a seat or two in the process!

If you want a single, simple place to start, how about going after something like a pistol that goes back for warranty service and needs to have the slide replaced. Currently we need to get a new P2P. Look to change it to a call to update the spent P2P with Trenton (not that its ideal, but that would still be better than current). We already passed the background check at least twice to buy the origninal. Its not a huge change, but I agree, if we can start small and build, maybe we could gain some decent momentum.

You're aboslutely right that we need some offense to see favorable legislation, but I don't see how we can score when we're so deep in our own red zone. I think NJ2AS's Operation Establish Compliance is a great way to get us back to the 50 yard line, so to speak.

I agree, CCW is a longterm goal. In the short term, maybe we can get rid of the pistol permit system by arguing that the federal NICS check is good enough. Of course, right now even NICS is a pain....

If you want a single, simple place to start, how about going after something like a pistol that goes back for warranty service and needs to have the slide replaced. Currently we need to get a new P2P. Look to change it to a call to update the spent P2P with Trenton (not that its ideal, but that would still be better than current). We already passed the background check at least twice to buy the origninal. Its not a huge change, but I agree, if we can start small and build, maybe we could gain some decent momentum.

+1, even simpler than what I had said.

I made a note in another thread that we should be able to put "sound attenuators" on guns. This reduction in sound would improve the quality of life for those that live near outdoor ranges.

Just a small sacrifice that we can make for the good of the community.

I agree, CCW is a longterm goal. In the short term, maybe we can get rid of the pistol permit system by arguing that the federal NICS check is good enough. Of course, right now even NICS is a pain....

Think that with what is being proposed for the new renewable FID tying that to a reciprocal CCL with other states? I'm too new at this to get the wording right. Think some states call it "shall carry"? Cause right now I'm considering getting a Florida non-resident Florida CCL.

Think that with what is being proposed for the new renewable FID tying that to a reciprocal CCL with other states? I'm too new at this to get the wording right. Think some states call it "shall carry"? Cause right now I'm considering getting a Florida non-resident Florida CCL.

Now that they're gonna require training for simple firearms ownership, it our FPID really SHOULD be a carry permit. It already covers all the other bases of traditional CHL's as far as I know.

Actually IIRC, the FPID is supposed to be for the carry of long arms and some of the older gentlemen here have cards that say "for the carrying of long arms" right on them --- can any of our gray-haired members confirm or deny this?

S2721 was a small win. But we need to think BIG.

By the way a CCW bill gets put forward every year. It never makes it out of committee.

What we need to do is get someone to get one of the most onerous bills and tack on a poison pill. CCW is a good one. Sneak it in as an amendment. If they pass it, great. Sneak it in everywhere we can if possible. They don't read all of these bills with a fine tooth comb. In fact I think Bloomberg's people are writing these bills for them and like mindless drones our legislators just rubber stamping them.

IMHO there are two ways we can do this:

#1. By filling the Assembly with pro-gun democrats (like Anthony Mills)

#2. Judicial relief.

We have a chance do change things every two years. NJ2AS has committed to helping run pro 2A Democrats in the primary. Hell, get just one elected and we may frighten the Antis enough to get them to stop the BS.