alec.mc

Ever wonder what happens when 100 primers go boom in your press?

Winchester primers are harder than Federal, but softer than CCI IIRC.

Not sure if it would work for Alec though.  He tweaks his reloads out to the max so probably not :D

It's the light hammer springs that Alec has a problem with  --  Too many light strikes with other primers

Alex needs an ansul system over his press. 

Oy vey man.  

Luckily, I have all the PEX(Plastic) water pipes directly above my press, so if it all did burst into flames, the pipes would melt and extinguish the fire.

at least I'd hope. 

That 650 of yours can sure take a beating. ;)

Yep, Alec would make a fine spokesperson doing commercials for Dillon.

Or doing commercials for their competition.   One could spin the ad to go either way...     :icon_e_biggrin:

Yes because the only thing better than setting off your primers is setting off the primers and powder.

That krdshark kid has no idea what he's talking about lol

I have a hard time believing anyone who is into reloading would immediately fault the press for something like that. If you bothered to read the guys account of the LnL malfunction it would seem like user error. It sounded like he wasnt paying attention, well actually he strait up admits he doesn't even recall what he was doing between seating the primer and having the press explode. He couldn't even be specific about whether the case was SPP or LPP...  Your a fool to think any press will prevent any of this.. Im pretty sure you could blow up every press ever made doing one thing wrong or another... There is a pretty damn good reason i only use CCI primers... people who use softer primers might want to think about alternate means of seating.

You can crush primers in any press..welcome to reloading! Put your powder drop next to the feed tube...well you can put 2 and 2 together... isolate the 2 using a metal shield if your powder drop is in station 2.

pick up a bench primer, i use this one for 308 and 30-06 it kicks the primer tube out of the way when you insert your brass, they also make one to take strips which i would avoid..

Edit found it at midway.. newer version i have had mine since the 80's

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/457599/rcbs-automatic-bench-priming-tool?cm_vc=ProductFinding

rcbsprimer001_zps1184cfb1.jpg

Dawson precision reloading room.

I'm impressed by the facility.  Not impressed by the two employees not wearing safety glasses while loading.

In order of soft to hardest

Federal

Winchester

CCI

Tula / Wolff 

Where do you get this information?  I have no reason to doubt it but I cannot find anything on primer hardness.  I have a 45 colt revolver that really beats the hell out of primers.  The winchester primers seem to hold up better than the CCIs indicating to me that they are harder.....

Ken

Where do you get this information?  I have no reason to doubt it but I cannot find anything on primer hardness.  I have a 45 colt revolver that really beats the hell out of primers.  The winchester primers seem to hold up better than the CCIs indicating to me that they are harder.....

Ken

This is known through out the reloading community,  The winchester primers are most likely pushed back out from pressure making it look like a lighter strike. Where the cci is still showing a full indent from the firing pin.

This happened to me 2x on my 650 with fed primers. Dillon sent me everything and more very quickly. I don't have super light actions so I use cci or Tula primers. 1050 is a sweet machine, especially with a bulletfeeder and auto drive. I would think the primer column on a 1050 or any other press would light up the whole stack as well. It's the concussion not the flame that sets them off.

I would suggest checking the alignment of the toolhead to the ram. Dillon makes a tool for this. If your local you can borrow mine. I'm in northern Bergen county.

Wow.  Never saw that before with the LnL...

You wanna keep this up?  First personal attacks (calling me Muslim because I look like a Taliban), now this?  Keep it up and you'll take a nice vacation....

Ha!  

3bdbf340c6f9c2e6d266e9a1c794038249df70d8

This is known through out the reloading community,  The winchester primers are most likely pushed back out from pressure making it look like a lighter strike. Where the cci is still showing a full indent from the firing pin.

Its not quite like that.  The CCI's are hit so hard that the anvil is somewhat crushed.  I dont get the with the Winchesters.  I cant find any real primer hardness info anywhere except what is "widely known in the reloading community"  Where did the community find this info. 

Even the primer companies are useless for this info. 

BTW, The firearm involved is a rossi lever in 45 colt

Ken