capri_auto

Just got my CMP garand in

Hey everyone,

I sent in for her January 19th and was able to take her home from my FFL on Wednesday. I asked for a WW2, but got what I think is a 1955 build. I am very happy with what I got even though it's not my dream Garand. She has a replacement CMP stock that looks like walnut to me. The stain is splotchy, but it has real nice grain. I put two coats of BLO on her and a coat of Toms. Will do for now, but may refinish one day. Metal looks nice. ME is 0 and TE is 1. I took photos of all the numbers, I think the trigger group is HRA and the Windage knob is HRA but everything else seems period correct?

I'll be hitting the range tomorrow, but she should shoot very well. Once more Springfields are back in stock I'll be going for a WW2 rifle again. Until then, this old gal will be getting a lot of use.

Let me know what you guys think.

http://s756.photobucket.com/user/nor...y/CMP%20Garand

What grade is this rack, field or better?

In any case It's in excellent condition and I like the stock a lot.

Those are most likely not blotches in the finish it's the natural color of the walnut wood coming out, the Toms origional surplus wax will actually bring it out more, his white mix was made for more moddern stocks and only adds layers of protection without changing the color of the wood.

IMG_4589640x427_zps3386c149.jpg

The wait is def worth it, you just gotta put the paperwork in the mail and forget about it. This particular rifle is a service grade. I like the stock a lot too, the tiger striping is natural but in person it appears there is some uneven staining. The stock may be birch, I'm not sure though. Garands, Nagants, ARs... I like them all. So far my favorite milsurp is my K31 but we'll see about that now.

CMP was putting new stained birch on rifles for awhile there, some folks were complaining it was kind of orange-y. They did at one time, when I got mine a few years back, use Boyd's walnut stocks, not sure of they went to the birch/beech for cost or volume reasons. Some people unstained the stocks they got and made some really sharp looking blond M1s. Check out the CMP forums for more detail on that whole stock situation.

it's worth it...the wait

It really is.. I just picked up my 3rd CMP purchase last week ( .308 M1) and this by far was the longest wait, ordered early Jan and came mid April.. wait times are getting longer, so, anyone on the fence, send it in a forget about it.. before it's too late! :-) Congrats on the rifle Capri..

The wait is def worth it, you just gotta put the paperwork in the mail and forget about it. This particular rifle is a service grade. I like the stock a lot too, the tiger striping is natural but in person it appears there is some uneven staining. The stock may be birch, I'm not sure though. Garands, Nagants, ARs... I like them all. So far my favorite milsurp is my K31 but we'll see about that now.

I feel the same about my k31 but my garand is so much fun and you will always find good garand people at the range to talk about this gun. I have been to cherry ridge and meet some really awesome guys who were issued and trained on this rifle and love talk about them. good stuff and congrats!

BTW! I dont know if any spots are open but there will be a Garand clinic I am going to at Cherry Ridige here is the info call Allen and see if a spot is open its all day and 20.00

4-May-13

CH/200

M1 Garrand Clinic

8:00 to 3:00

Allan Johnson

(908) 295-8451

http://www.anjrpc.org/?page=Range_schedule